“Great Surfing Lessons”

$103.71*
Surf Lessons Maui - semi private surf class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Surf Club Maui is located in South Maui at Kalama Beach Park. We offer surfing, stand-up paddleboarding and kayak rentals and lessons at one of the premier locations on the island of Maui. We specialize in beginner to advanced lessons and coaching. We are a small family run business and we are looking forward to seeing you. Aloha!
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My husband and I, with our 2 kids signed up for surfing lessons with Surf Club Maui. My kids are 9 and 6. This was our first time surfing!! It was so much fun. Our instructor Brit was very good with our kids and had my 6 yr. Old daughter standing and surfing in less than 2 hours. The instruction on land was short, but that made more time in the water. We are all beginners and we all were able to stand and surf by the end of the lesson!! Thanks to Brit!!

1  Thank Nikyda

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My friend and I were in Hawaii for a fun vacation, and neither of us have surfed before. We decided to try it, and the Maui Surf Club was just down from our condo. We signed up for a group lesson and ended up being the only 2 in it, so we got very individualized instruction. The lesson lasted for several hours, and our instructor was very kind and encouraging. We had such a great experience! We were worried about not being able to "stand up" but my friend did on the first try and I did on my second. With the proper instruction, surfing is totally doable and lots of fun! Later in the week we rented SUP boards as well and had a wonderful time with those. The prices were very reasonable. The employees at Maui Surf Club were also very helpful and we would stop by and ask their opinion on lots of things including places to visit and eat. A great small business to support. Highly recommended!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Surf Club Maui is conveniently located behind the 76 Gas Station across from Kalama Park in Kihei. There is lots of parking in the vicinity.

I took a stand up paddle board lesson with my 2 teenagers. It cost us $60 each for 1.5 hours in a private class (although the whole event took closer to 2 hours).We booked our lesson the day before and, because we were late to book, started our class at 10 am - which might be a later than ideal start time (the water is smoother earlier in the morning).

We were outfitted with rash shirts and protective boots at the Surf Club kiosk (they also have an outdoor shower and private change room for after class). After meeting our instructor, we proceeded across the road to the park. We were given a brief demonstration on the grass and then made our way into the water. We got up on our boards without difficulty and proceeded to paddle north along the shoreline. We enjoyed pleasant conversation with our instructor and saw numerous sea turtles along the way.

We spent the last half hour attempting to catch waves. I didn't have much success. I would have felt more comfortable in deeper water. I was nervous about falling becuase the water was less than 3 feet deep where we were attempting to catch waves. My kids did not succeed in catching a wave either.

Despite the best efforts of the instructors, none of us were thrilled about SUPing. We are all experienced kayakers and strong swimmers. While we were paddling around, enjoying the view, I started to wonder - why wasn't I doing this in a kayak? What is the point of standing up? If there is an advantage over kayaking, it wasn't communicated to us and it still hasn't dawned on me. I am glad that I can now use a paddle board if I get the opportunity, but this is not something I would seek out. Next time, I will rent a kayak or take surf lessons.

I am not going to blame Surf Club for the fact that I am indifferent about SUPing. They were very friendly and helpful; and the instructor did a great job conveying safety tips and showing us how to use the boards. However, I am giving this an average rating because SUP is not your best option for a water adventure in Maui.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Not only did I learn to surf, but I have made some great new friends. My instructor had me riding waves after my first attempt. He was so encouraging that I went back the next day to rent equipment to continue learning.

Renting gear was easy, and not only was the price great, but they provided car mounts and helped load the boards on the car.

The final gesture that showed they cared was providing boots and rash guards at no cost. They believe these are needed tools. They were fabulous!

If you are looking for a place to learn with excellent people, this is your shop.

In closing, the owners can recite the 80's movie classic "North Shore"! This is a testament to their greatness!

1  Thank arandolph23
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband took surf lessons. This was his second time ever. The instructor was encouraging and gave a lot of feedback. The rest of us took sup lessons. Phillipe was fantastic--so patient, gave one on one attention, and super nice. Definitely a recommend!

1  Thank Purbear