“What kind of pizza place doesn't serve beer?”
Review of Maui Brick Oven

Maui Brick Oven
Ranked #35 of 177 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: This restaurant is 100% Gluten Free! We serve pizza, pasta , salads, fish & chips and more. Open for dinner 6 days a week. No worries about cross contamination if you have gluten issues.Good food for everyone, even if you don't have to eat gluten free!
Crescent City, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What kind of pizza place doesn't serve beer?”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I should have known when I walked in and overheard the owner trying to justify to a skeptical customer when there was no coffee being served (kept having to throw out pots of coffee) and the background music was religious-country.

We were seated in the back of the restaurant, right by the restroom door, the restaurant back door and the kitchen door (traffic...).

They don't serve alcohol (at a pizza place?!?), but charge a per bottle fee if you want to bring your own.

We decided to get the order to go. The pepperoni was good, the Mediterranean-style was awful - we ended up throwing it away.

I'm not a hater. I admire their passion and belief in their product; they are serving a niche and it is doubtless working for them. But I felt a pious, self-righteous vibe to let me know that if I didn't fit in, I better get out.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank rjake007
Leanne C, Owner at Maui Brick Oven, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
As being one of the owners, I would like to clarify a few things...

We serve coffee in a French press, which means that each customer gets fresh coffee. This takes a little longer to serve. That is what I was explaining to the other customer. By using the French press, we don't have coffee sitting around all day.

This is a small restaurant. You must have had a larger group, so you were seated at the large table in the back. We do not have our liquor license, it is difficult to get here in Maui. We DO offer BYOB (bring your own beer or wine). This is posted on the front window and on the menu. It is very typical for the fee to be charged. Our fee is nominal, most restaurants charge $20 corkage fee. I can't think of any restaurant that lets you bring in your own beverage and not be charged for it. Maui Brick Oven is not just a pizza place, we serve a wide variety of gluten free food. It is not our priority to be known as a bar with food. We want a people to know that if they have gluten issues, this is a safe place for them to be able to order anything off the menu. There are many people without gluten issues that have loved the food.

I'm sorry you didn't like the Mediterranean pizza. That is one of our most popular pizzas. Many regulars order it routinely.

I am not sure where you got the pious, self-righteous attitude from. We feel honored that we are being used to provide this kind of food that is desperately needed. We are not "haters" either. We welcome everyone to come and experience what Maui Brick Oven is all about.

Gig Harbor, Washington
“Nice Surprise”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were in Maui on holiday and found this place. My wife can't eat gluten so we are always looking for restaurants that at least have some gluten free items (unfortunately she prefers vegetarian as well which further complicates the search.) This place is totally gluten free which was a real treat for her. She was able to have deep fried mozzarella sticks and fish and chips without fear of cross contamination in the oil. She also took a pizza to go for the next day. I tried the teriyaki skewers and the fish and chips. Very good by any comparison.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Big C
Maui, Hawaii
“Amazing”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place is fantastic. I am not required to eat a gluten free diet but I love good food and supporting local businesses so I checked these guys out. Everything I have ever eaten here is delicious. I've had pizzas, salads and my personal fav.... Fish n chips. Plus the fact that they offer a 100% gluten free dining experience for those that prefer/require such a menu is totally awesome. I highly recommend this place for lunch and dinner. Oh yeah, and it's BYOB. Aloha.

• Visited November 2013
Fernie, Canada
“Passionate owners”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Pretty good pie for a gluten free option. The owners and family were super friendly and passionate about their product. The pizza didn't sit too well with anyone we ate with that night. Too bad, next pizza we'll have will probably have gluten.

Leanne C, Owner at Maui Brick Oven, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Gluten Free dough is a bit different from the regular, white flour dough. This pizza can only come in thin crust, doesn't rise like normal white flour dough. Thank you for trying it. Maybe next time you can try our Fish & Chips, we've been told by many that they are the best on island, gluten free or not!
Vancouver, Canada
“100% Gluten Free”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is gluten free heaven. It's not just pizza, it is all of the food you which you could have but can't because of gluten. We have the pizza, mozza stick, spaghetti and chicken parm, all of which where delicious. It's a BYOB so stop by Long's next door to pick up a bottle of wine.

This is a family fun business and they are so incredibly nice. They even gave us tips for other gluten free options to check out on the island.

• Visited October 2013