“This place is AWESOME if you're looking for "plate lunch" style food!”

King's BBQ Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #138 of 181 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Disclaimer: I grew up eating this food occasionally, so I really enjoyed this little hole in the wall. It's not typically what some others might expect or enjoy, but if you're looking for an authentic "Asian-fusion" experience (and I mean that in the retro-sense, not in what restaurants are terming [snooty] Asian fusion these days), then keep an open mind and you'll enjoy the food! I'm not vouching for Chinese food authenticity, now.. I'm saying that if you look at the menu, it's really a reflection of the mixture of cultures (fusion) that has contributed to the diversity you find in Hawaii overall.

We arrived last Friday evening and were starving after a full day of traveling. I was craving something that would really get me in the mood for being on the island and on vacation; all I really wanted was plate lunch!

There is only covered outdoor seating and no restroom facilities on site (but within walking distance -10 yards or so- in the Kalama shopping area). If you're looking for "L&L"-style plate lunch (but without the "chain restaurant" feel), this place does the job. Kings BBQ & Chinese is located just across the street from Kalama Beach Park on one side, and across the other side of the street from Foodland market, on the north corner of the Kihei-Kalama Village Shopping area. This is a great place to eat after being at the beach all day -- flip flops, damp suit and all!

I ordered the Teriyaki regular size plate lunch and it was FABULOUS! I was looking for simple anyway, so was really pleased. A LARGE portion of thinly sliced meat, well-seasoned, over two large scoops of rice and a delicious scoop of macaroni salad! My hubby ordered the Mix Meat plate and was overwhelmed by how much food he got (beef ribs, Chicken Katsu, and Hamburger Steak). He wasn't crazy about the hamburger steak, tho'.

We ate here 3 times; twice for dinner and once to share the breakfast special mentioned by another reviewer below. Portugese sausage and spam, with eggs over rice... YUMMM... this was a TERRIFIC deal!

Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were in Kihei after swimming at Makena and found this Chinese BBQ Resturant on main road through Kihei. Outdoor seating, very simple, we went in our swim suits and flip flops. Food was decent, good size portions in styrofoam containers, nothing fancy. We had the BBQ Short ribs and Garlic Shrimp combos. Plenty of parking in center adjacent to restaurant. I would stop again if I was in the area, but not worth a drive from Kanapali, Napili or Kapalua.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a decent Chinese takeout place with open air dining.

Breakfast starting at 7am and they close at 11pm.

Decent taste

Only detriment are the flies since you are eating al fresco

1  Thank C H L
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant in the old Wokstar location. The food was what you would typically expect from a Chinese food restaurant in Kihei. It wasn't wow, but it wasn't bad either. The portions are generous, the food cheap. If that's all you want, then it's a great place. I had the barbecue chicken with garlic prawn combo, it was slices of chicken breast marinated in an Asian marinade . It was so moist and tasty, and the garlic prawns were loaded with garlic, yummy! My hubby had Teriyaki beef, and he really liked it. They make a decent breakfast, and you ask for toast instead of rice. You can also get a burger and fries for under $5 at lunch. They do takeout as well. I will definitely go again.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I didn't go to this one but I went to their Wailuku location. Ordered gau gee, egg drop soup, and mushroom chicken. Instead, I got the equivalent of deep fried potstickers with filling the size of a quarter, a hot tofu and carrot soup (eggless), and vegetable chicken (VERY bland i might add, again with meat pieces the size of a nickel). As we ordered the lady asked 'is this ala carte style order?' A chinese restaurant would certainly ask 'family style?'. Also it appears the local clientele there were eating up some food common around here, i.e. slices of spam, rice, barbeque chicken. May have been good to them, but seriously anyone can churn out food of that variety and people will love it. If you're on Maui there is NO OTHER OPTION for chinese food other than Royal Island Drive Inn, located almost two blocks away. A pity that this gorgeous island has no decent chinese cuisine otherwise.

Also of note, if you are a basketball fan, look at their logo and compare it with the logo of the Sacramento Kings... do you think that is blatant plagiarism or what?

1  Thank Maui_F00die