“Good food at a good price and a plessent atmosphere”
Review of Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday
Ranked #102 of 177 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Good food at a good price and a plessent atmosphere”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wanted a good solid meal after a hard day of playing under the maui sun. Good food , perfect portion, no waiting, and good service. Simple and easy and good, satisfaction.
Lots of good resturants on maui. Find this comfortable and quick.

Wailuku, Hawaii
“Poor service”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had a coupon for a BOGO free entree and decided to try this restaurant. I had read the reviews before I went but decided that establishments can improve. We didn't have to wait long, it was early enough. We ordered our food which didn't take too long to get to our table, but our server was also doubling as the bartender so no one came to check up on our table from time to time. They were doing so well until we wanted dessert. We waited about 20 minutes before someone came to our table to clear the last bit of dishes and then we had to remind them "well how about some dessert." After ordering our dessert, it took another 30 minutes before the dessert came. We also had to remind them to refill a cup of coffee we had ordered. All the while we were waiting our server was behind the bar serving drinks, and numerous other servers walking around looking busy, but not really working. This was our first and last time we'll be eating here.

2 Thank Melaho65
Kahului, Hawaii, United States
“Service was very disappointing!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

If your not a tourist, not a Caucasian, and are locals living on Maui looking for a restaurant with great all around service and food. This isn't the place for you. Ive been a waitress for over 10 years so i know the difference between a great and a bad service.

We waited approximately 50 minutes to a hour outside in the cold to get a table. Our hostess was very nice and noticed that we were waiting a long time for our table to be ready so she offered to bring us water which was very nice of her. I wish I got her name to tell the manager how helpful she was. Little things like that makes a big difference.

When we got into the restaurant we was told by our waiter that the whole family couldn't sit together. We had a party of 10 and we were scattered across the restaurant. My niece, nephew, and in laws squeeze on a two person section when there were 4 of them and the rest of my other nephews and family were on a different tables while me and my parents and siblings sat on a big party section. We came as a big party to celebrate a special occasion and planned to sit together but wasn't able to while make me very sad and disappointed because we wasn't able to eat together as a family.

Me and my Japanese and Filipino family got treated like we wasn't a equal by our waiter. The whole time I was in Ruby Tuesday I watch the way my waiter and other waitresses/waiters serve other people great. Except for our waiter. He was Caucasian and gave great service to other Caucasian and tourist families and payed little to a minimum attention to me and my family.

We had to wait 15mins before our waiter came back to help us and ask if we wanted any beverages. As a waitress the first thing you ask a party while you are sitting them especially if they were waiting a LONG time is, "does anyone want to start with beverages?"

As soon as a big group of family left behind us i called my waiter and asked if he could bring a part of the sectional table and add it to ours and he said "I'm sorry, I cant." These tables in Ruby's can separate and add on extra length to the table so I didn't understand why it wasn't possible. After the other party left nobody sat there the rest of the time we were at the restaurant.

Me and my family was trying to figure out what to order but was very confused with the menu and the waiter we had ignored that we was confused and just wanted to take our order and leave. We've told the waiter we were having a hard time with the menu and didn't know how to order the right way so he said "Ill come back when you folks are ready" and left. He checked up on us at least 4 times to check if we were ready to order but we always said we were having a hard time so he would leave again and again. Then 30 minutes later we finally figured it out and ordered.

The rest of the time after we got our food our waiter barely checked up on us. We ran out of water and beverages alot n waited for our waiter to come back but he never came. I had to drink my nieces n nephews waters to get something to drink because i ran out eventually after waiting a long time I had to flag down bussers and other waiter and waitresses to get our beverages refilled.

Our food took a very long time to come out so it was very upsetting. Most of my family watched as some of us ate salads. My mother and elderly grandmother was very hungry so I shared with them knowing you cant share but it took so long to order our food, waiter was nowhere to be found, and was wait for our food to come out. I felt very sad for them so I let my mother and elderly grandmother pick from my salad.

The food was ok. Not what i expected. I thought it was going to be delicious because the price was high, but it wasn't. The one thing I did enjoy was the all you could eat salad bar because I didn't have to wait for a waiter or waitress to bring my salad. I could make it as big and as the way I want it to be.

My family were irritated, frustrated, and angry by our waiter that we didn't have a pleasant time. Our experience made everyone upset the whole time were in Ruby Tuesday. Once all of us were done eating we just wanted to pack our leftover food and leave and that's just what we did. The experience was so upsetting that we all didn't enjoy the food. We just wanted to eat and leave.

My mother told me that the last time she came to Ruby Tuesday without me she had almost the same experience as the last time she came. I don't think we are going to be returning any time soon. Sorry.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank rican808
Kihei
“Plenty of Employees, yet No Service”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were greeted by the manager standing at the hostess stand with a big "Aloha". Seemed like a good sign. The hostess quickly came up and welcomed us as well. We were sat immediately and were told that "Mike' would be our server. We sat in the comfy booths around the bar. We sat, we sat, and we sat. Plenty of employees walked back and forth past our table and not one came to ask if anyone had helped us yet, or even get us a water. Saw the manager that greeted us pouring a beer for one of the other servers from behind the bar. Maybe "Mike" was the bartender and wasn't available to do his job there either. I did notice a guy server 3 times come out from the kitchen area, kinda look in our direction, but still no one approached our table. Guess the 10 employees visible were making too much money on the four tables already sat in the restaurant. We decided that even with our "Buy one, get one" coupon (more then likely sent to the house to try to get more business for this failing restaurant), that we would be better off leaving. As we departed the restaurant 6 employees (not kidding, including one of the chefs) were standing by the hostess stand talking story. They said "Good-bye, have a nice night." None with a clue in the bunch. This was our 3rd bad experience here. Thought we would give them another shot, that was the last. Went to Outback Steakhouse. Fabulous service, great food. Daniel rocked! "Good-bye Ruby Tuesday!"

2 Thank SunsineCatLady
Hawai'i
“They'd better shape up... If not they're going to close soon!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

1.17.12
Atmosphere:
Restaurant is a refurbishment of the old Roy's Kihei and opened 1.17.12. Everything is brand new. Lots of windows for natural light, nice size bar with a row of flat screen tv's running across the top, high tables & chairs (one 12 seater and three 6-seaters) in the bar area, lots of booths and a few round tables.

Food:
Lobster carbonara - Good. Cream sauce, lobster bits, peas, tomatoes & ham (I believe) over linguine topped with shredded parmesan. Not heavy; nice portion. Cream sauce tastes a little "out-of-the-box."

Ribs (friend's dish) - Good. Tender and tasty. Comes with 3 sides - he chose fried shrimp, mashed potatoes and sugar snap peas. The shrimp was very salty and tasted cafeteria-like. Potatoes were instant but okay and the peas were good.

Parmesan shrimp pasta - Good. Lots of seasoned shrimp & tomatoes in a cream sauce over penne. Pasta was a little over-cooked. Like the lobster carbonara, the cream sauce still tastes "out-of-the-box."

Triple Prime Cheddar Burger - Very good. Big, juicy & flavorful burger with a thick slice of cheddar cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. The fries were really good - thicker shoe string with a light seasoning similar to Old Bay. 4.30.12 update.

7/28/12 update:
Alpine Swiss Burger - This was super yummy! Juicy burger cooked medium, swiss cheese, mayo, sauteed baby portabella mushrooms, pickles, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce with side of fries.

Salad bar - I finally broke down and tried the salad bar, even though I think it looked too small to entice me. I was so wrong. Once you go through all the toppings (I'm a topping fan,) I LOVED it! Everything was filled, fresh and super clean even at closing hour. Impressive! The signage on the dressing spoons are starting to fade.

8/8/12 update:
Chicken & mushroom alfredo - I've found my fav pasta dish here! I was totally put-off from by my first two pasta dishes I tried here because they tasted "out-of-the-box." The flavor is awesomely creamy but not rich at all, so it doesn't fill you up like how many alfredo sauces do. Topped with a generous portion of grilled chicken strips and peas. Definitely recommended! Dare I say it's better than CPK's version?

11/12/12 update:
Petite sirloin & lobster tail - I love the seasoning of the steak! The lobster tail was delicious with the drawn butter. They were "out of" baked potato but I think it was because we ordered at 10pm, so I got the loaded mashed potato which tasted like almost the same, even if it was instant. The broccoli was horribly soggy though, but still bright green and appetizing looking.

Service:
Fast & friendly. We were greeted outside the door when entering and thanked when leaving. Not sure if this is common practice or because the place is not even a week old, but very good service, compared to other chain establishments.

7/28/12 update:
Arrived for a late dinner around 9:30pm. Greeted and seated immediately. Very friendly male server was awesome. Always checked on us to make sure we were okay. Being a slow eater, we got done around 10:40pm. We never felt rushed. And we were thanked when we left by several staff. Service is still good to me!

Overall:
Because they just opened just a week ago, they're only open for dinner from 4pm till close. Some menu items weren't available like the baked potato for some reason, and the dessert menu was limited. Very nice restaurant, great service, prices are pretty good and food quality & taste are good. Definitely going back for more. They also don't take reservations (for now?)

4/4/12 update:
Service is still good. I'm such a pasta fanatic that I get really disappointed when I go to a restaurant and they have zero pasta dishes. I've already tried two pasta dishes here, and while they're good, they're not the greatest (like CPK for example.) The sauces taste borderline Hamburger Helper which is unfortunate. There is 1 more pasta dish I wanted to try (chicken & mushroom Alfredo) but probably won't since the first 2 pasta dishes were just good and not great. Definitely will return to try other entrees and the burgers.

************************************************************************************************************************

4.10.13 update
Time for another update since its been over a year. Met some old friends for dinner. I'm really hoping that this place doesn't close, being so dead.

Atmosphere:
The dining section of the restaurant is still in good shape. All the menus on our table were torn on the folds. The toilets and basins in the men's room looked like they haven't been cleaned in over a month.

Food:
Jambalaya pasta - Being a fan of CPK's jambalaya pasta, I had to try this new addition to the menu. Chicken strips, andouille sausage and 4 shrimps over linguine. The overall presentation of the dish looked burnt and dry, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was not bad. Linguine a little on the soft side and not covered entirely in sauce. The toppings, while slightly charred, all had great flavor. It doesn't compare to CPK's version by any means but this is the only restaurant on Maui that I know of that makes this dish. I'd order it again but would ask for a side of sauce to bring some life to its dry state.

Service:
Here's where I think the restaurant needs some improvement. Its gone downhill since opening, unfortunately. There is usually no one at the host stand when you enter to greet you. It doesn't provide a welcoming feeling being greeted by an empty space where someone should be all the time.

Our female waitress, while friendly, wasn't all that professional. A great example was after we ordered draft beer, 2 Stellas and 1 Heineken. When she brings it to our table, she announces "I don't know which one is the Heineken." Come on - ask the bartender!? After sniffing 3 glasses then having to taste test all 3, we finally found the Heineken. SMH. But she did check on us constantly which was great.

Overall:
I've heard radio commercials promoting a happy hour from 3-6pm. My advice would be to extend it until 7pm. They've also mailed out 2-for-1 entree coupons to drum-up business. All of this makes me worry that they might shutter like so many of Maui's restaurants. I really hope they don't as we have very little affordable dining options on this island!

• Visited April 2013

Been to Ruby Tuesday? Share your experiences!