“Kam 1 & 2 are great for snorkeling (May)”

Kamaole Beach Park II
Ranked #3 of 70 things to do in Kihei
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just got back from a trip to Maui this May 2013. In the morning, the waves are very small and the water is clear. We walked into the beach at Kam 1 and snorkeled all the way along the reef from Kam 1 to Kam 2 (there are three Kamaole Beaches, in a row, with reefs along them). You could just as easily go into the water at Kam 2 and snorkel your way to Kam 1. Early morning snorkeling there this time of year is FABULOUS. We saw at least 10 humumhumu fish of various sizes, coronet fish, a clearing wrasse station (where small wrasses clean off the bigger fish!), all kinds of colorful reef fish that you can identify on the Snorkel Bob's fish sheet, and even sea turtles. I saw 2 sea turtles of moderate size, and my brother - who went out deeper - saw a 5-ft one swimming by! The water was clear & visibility good when the waves were low. There were a lot of people snorkeling, and we even took my 10-yr-old niece out to see the fish; we just made sure she was wearing a life vest too. On the beach many people were building castles and playing; there were also many paddle-boarders early in the morning. Towards 11/12 the waves got higher and the snorkeling was about done, but it was still good for playing on the beach. Parking can be tough on the street, but you can drive up and down to little lots, and if you come early enough, you'll find street parking.

3  Thank Jennifer_Val

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Like beaches 1 and 3 it is small but beautiful. Soft sand, beautiful water and great for paddle boarding.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This beach was right outside our condo. Snorkelling at the point between kamaole 2 and 3 was excellent - many turtles, fish and coral reef. Best to go first thing in the morning as the winds pick up by around 11-12 and the surf gets murky and harder to swim.

1  Thank ShelleyLouise
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Love this beach but beware of waves in December. Water is rougher in ths month and the wavesbreak very close to shore. I was knocked down and had to be helped to my feet after rolling in the surf. I was lucky though cause the guy standing next to me got a separated shoulder from the same wave.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were very close to this beach and enjoyed going there. Always was able to find a parking place if we wanted. Enjoyed people watching and jumping around in the surf. Suppose to have decent snorkeling between I and II, but didn't ever get around to trying it. Trees above the beach with tables, and some great eating places across the street. Convenient, easy, beautiful beach, . . . wow, now I want to go back!

1  Thank Dave A