“Good food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The food was very good and the service was excellent. Hopefully, they will get more business so they can afford to spruce the place up a bit.

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

An absolute must try in this restaurant is fried squid tentacles. The sushi is fresh and dishes are very traditional. The staff is Japanese and extremely polite. This restaurant is so nice that we actually went there several times during our stay in Maui

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is hands down, our favorite place for Japanese Food on Maui! The restaurant is very tiny so go early, or call for reservations. The servers are really cute and the food authentic and fresh. Look for their daily specials, which they thoughtfully post on the wall right next to each table. Although Japanese is spoken there, the servers speak perfect English. I love sushi, and theirs is excellent. The tempura is cooked to perfection and well worth the price. Not the best place for real small children. They have another restaurant in Kahului, which is a little harder to find. This Azeka location is easy.

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Food was not great, nothing special. Takoyaki wasn't too tasty at all. The oyako don is regular. Not enough noodle selection. A bit disappointed. Not a very nice looking restaurant. Poor atmosphere, very quiet location at night. Service, however, was awesome.

2  Thank Stm_eternity
Reviewed March 28, 2012

maybe 5 or 6 tables and room for 10 others on counter service. the menu offers many choices and some specials on the board. with my two complaints I will still give them the excellent vote. five of us went here tonight with high expectations and they were easily met. first the bad, my shishamo was chewy and had to work on it a bit, the flavor was there though and the maguro sashimi, I like mine a bit more oily or fishy. tasted like regular tombo, I could be spoilt with toro and chutoro.
OK complaints over, everything else superseded, miso soup here is just like Tokyo, only missing the baby clams inside, the taste is sooo good. ordered the Tsukemono (pickles) and was happy to find gobu in the dish. the tonkatsu curry always a simple fave was done the same as I get it in asia. we did the sashimi of 5 which included the maguro,tako, ika, sake and hamachi. the hamachi was best on the island so far and the sake was prepared well. this dish was 29$ and I was gonna get the trio of sashimi but I always order ika anyways so the tako was the only extra on the plate. we ate it fine. maybe another small complaint, no uni, I love my uni. many sharing plates went around so we tried a shrimp tempura roll 2 orders of fried soft shell crab, some salads and miso soups.
my brother did his own thing and got a set which made for a nice picture. I did the same main as him the miso butterfish and just did many sides. many Japanese alchohol choices and we did sake and beers. much more on the menu for foods and alchohol. surely we will return soon to try the shabu shabu and other items on the menu. the daifuku dessert was nice but we still went to Ono Gelato for a taste. a 2 minute walk from Izakaya Matsu.

1  Thank QFOX