“Cockroaches and Termites #C108”
Review of Maui Kamaole

Maui Kamaole
Ranked #3 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
San Jose, California
“Cockroaches and Termites #C108”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The unit C108 we stayed (Aug 8-15) .

The GOOD:
1. Outside, the condo looks quite old but well maintained. It has very nice landscapes. 10 min walk to Kamaole II Beach
2. Kitchen is fully equipped, nice cabinets.
3. BBQ grill area and Gril is quite modern and good.
4. Swimming Pool and Flat TV with DISNEY chan for kids
5. Free Wired Internet connection.
5. Comfy King Bed + plenty of sheets and towels

The BAD:

1. Bathroom is kind of smelly.
2. Some interior paint is old and chipped off (Accordion door of the Laundry area). This made Unit is kind of run down.

The UGLY:
1. There was cockroach and termite running around ! (Wife took picture of them)
2. Toilet is very dirty, seemed like it has never cleaned (around the bowl)

This is the first and last stay at this Condo.

Hope it helps

Room Tip: Pick a better, a bit more expensive Condo in the South Side of Kihei. It is more quiet, near good b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank quinlan h
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Maui Kamaole, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of Maui Kamaole and condo C108, which we manage. I am glad you had a long list of things you liked about the condo, but surprised to see some of the negative comments. This particular condo has been upgraded quite thoroughly with tiled floors, granite counter tops, new cabinets, and wall mounted flat-screen TV’s. We have traditionally heard great things about this condo. We will let the cleaner know about the bathroom and assure that they do a thorough cleaning and perhaps leave an air freshener.

As for the termites, this is a very serious claim and we will be sending professionals into the condo to search the unit once the current guest vacates. If termites are indeed found, we will take every measure to address the situation. As for the cockroach you spotted, we wish you would have called our office so we could have come to the condo and managed the situation or moved you to another available condo if that was your desire. It is hard for us to act on any guest issues if we do not hear about them until after the guest departs (we even call guests a day after arrival to assure they are settled in).

We hope you give Maui Kamaole another try on any future trip to Maui. It truly is a fan-favorite property!

Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It's a nice property in the condo haven of Kihei. Units are owned individually and the quality of each unit will differ based on the owner.

Kihei is suburban and has a lot of strip malls. This is not a exciting property, and is not on the beach. However, it is a nicely landscaped, clean, quiet, well maintained and comfortable place to stay in Kihei. The location is very convenient. It offers a good value for what you pay - nice pools, nice condos, easy walk to 2 lovely beaches (Kam III and Keewakapu).

Units will vary greatly as some are updated and others are not. Some are closer to the beach, and others on the top of the hill. However, you get an assigned parking spot, and it's easy to drive to and park at most places in the area.

Our unit, was beautifully updated and decorated. It was well appointed and stocked with kitchenware, a washer dryer as well as a lot of beach items (chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards). It was a 2 BR unit. However the master bedroom was an open loft - so not very private (the 2 BRs are really 1 BR + Loft units). The buildings facing south get very hot in the summer, so make sure you have air conditioning. Since it's not on the beach, you are not as cooled by ocean breezes. The master bedroom in the loft got very stuffy and hot. We traveled with a friend, and she was in a first floor unit facing north (the I bldg) which was much cooler and breezier. The one bedrooms seemed to be more airy and spacious than our 2 BR.

While this was a nice place to go with a group (easy and affordable to find a number of condos in the same complex), we missed having a lobby or central place to gather. The poolside is nice and open, with tables and grills for dinner -- however you cannot be by the pool after 9 pm -- so a little more difficult if you are with a group that wants to get together after 9 pm. Many pools keep their pools open till 10 pm. However, this keeps the place quiet for residents.

I loved being able to walk down to Keewapaku beach. It's gorgeous and so calm and sandy. Breakfast with great views at the 5 Palsm. Very close to Wailea and other area beaches. Lots of nice restaurants (Cafe O'Lei, Cafe Cuatro, Pupu Lounge, Sensei Sushi) in Kihei. Though its not at the water, many units here have ocean views. It's easy to get to grocery stores, coffee, shave ice (Surfing Monkey)....

It's nice. Very pleasant, practical, reasonable. It's a great base to explore Maui (esp south Maui). But it's not spectacular or heavenly (some places in Maui are!). Nice for a group or family, less exciting for a honeymoon or romantic get away. I prefer accommodations closer to the water........... but the property itself is among the nicer ones in Kihei.

Room Tip: Units differ greatly.... rent from an owner so you know exactly what you are getting. South facing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sunnymom2000
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Maui Kamaole, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Maui Kamaole. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the vacation rentals we manage, but am glad that you found the condo well equipped, clean, and comfortable. Like you mentioned, guests really love that Maui Kamaole is walking distance to great beaches like Kamaole Beach Park III and Keawakapu Beach, and also features beautifully maintained tropical grounds. You are correct that there is no enclosed lobby, but lobbies are pretty rare for condominium complexes as there is usually not a front desk that is open around the clock. Guests often like to meet around the numerous propane barbecue stations on site to grill up dinners and then take them to the lounge areas around the pools or eat out on their private lanais. We hope to see you again at the Maui Kamaole in the future!

Perth
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 weeks in condo I206. Maui Gold Condos was the booking agent, Misty is very efficient and friendly.
This is a beautiful upstairs apartment with a lovely view over the gardens and ocean.
It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and everything you could want. The beds are extremely comfortable.
It is a 4 minute walk to kamaole iii beach park and there are restaurants within walking distance.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend it.
One point which I do not feel is a negative, is they are quite particular about the carpets and rightly so, you want to keep your piece of paradise in good order.
Just something to keep in mind if you had really young children.

• Stayed July 2013
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights there and got bit starting night one. Originally thought it was from the beach but on the last night it got really bad so I did some research and found I should take the bed covers off. The pictures show what we found. Blood spatter everywhere! Disgusting. Anyone who changes the covers should have reported this months ago. I contacted the management and requested help. Except for sending some kid to tell me "yes, it's bed bugs" they did nothing. As of now I'm out $500 for items I left behind because I couldn't get last minute dry cleaning and feared I will bring the bugs home with me. Not one call from management!!! Horrible service and maintenance.

• Stayed August 2013
15 Thank Uzi_Z
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in M102 so much last year that we chose to return again this year for a relaxing vacation and are certainly thrilled that we did. It has now become our "go to" property to book as the ammenities and location can't be beat. The unit is beautifully renovated inside, the master bedroom peaceful and quiet, and the lanai is very private yet only a few steps to the tropical pool and BBQ deck. There is absolutely nothing lacking in terms of ammenities. The unit is fully equipped with all the necessary kitchen essentials as well as beach chairs, coolers, and water sports gear. The location is awesome as it is only a very short walk to numerous beautiful beaches, the dive boat ramp, and the Kihei strip of shops, restuarants and bars. The owners of the unit are wonderful people to deal with and have been very accomodating in booking our reservations through their VRBO site as well as providing helpful information on things to do and places to go on the island of Maui. We have recommended this unit as the place to stay to all of our friends as it is the "perfect retreat" while vacationing in paradise. We plan to return this fall and will certainly book this unit if it is available.

Mahalo B&D -

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NVexpress
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I deeply regret booking our stay at the Maui Kameole. The 2nd floor unit we checked into had ants, cockroach traps and a dead cockroach in the kitchen. We could tolerate the ants, but the cockroaches were disgusting. At first, we thought we were mistaken about the dead cockroach - surely a nice condo like this would not be in this condition? Then I spotted cockroaches crawling on the ceiling shortly after and there was no doubt about it. We had to throw out our opened boxes of cereal, pasta, bananas, etc. I called the company in charge of managing the unit, listed by the front desk as condominium rental company (CRH, condominium rentals hawaii), and they were extremely unhelpful. The rude assistant manager told me that they are aware of the cockroaches and acknowledged the issue, but that "this is a tropical island and roaches are expected." Really? I should expect cockroaches when i book here? i was shocked that they did not feel any urgency to resolve the problem. She told me that there were no other 2 bedroom condos with an ocean view available to move us into but could move us to a downgraded room, but would not give me any information about how much of a refund I would get for accepting the downgrade. Both agents I talked to gave me a runaround - insisting that I talk to hotels.com (who I booked the condo with) to find out how much of a refund I would get. After being on hold for 45 minutes with hotels.com with 3 different agents, I was told that CRH were the ones to determine the refund. I again called CRH and overall it was a nightmare. The people at CRH are trained to be deceptive and do their best to put off resolviing problems by claiming they have no control or knowledge of refunds if you book via a third party site like hotels. The customer service is appalling and unethical but also their lack of concern for guests having to deal with cockroaches. I have visited Hawaii several times and have never seen a cockroach in any of the rooms I have booked. My guess is that the condos at Maui Kameloe have ongoing cockroach problems and this condo rental property is trained to give you a runaround to avoid resolving this problem. They will lie to you and you won't get any refund, and they wont even do the bare minimum of moving you to a comparable room. In the end, Expedia (the company behind my hotels.com transaction) told CRH to move us to a different 2 bedroom condo with an ocean view. How funny CRH, didn't you tell me that you didn't have ANY available? So basically, the kind people at CRH lied to me. Totally unethical and unprofessional. By the way, the new unit we moved to has a big can of cockroach spray stored under the kitchen sink. Beware, beware, beware. Book elsewhere or accept that you will have cockroaches living with you. Now I have to wash everything and disinfect out luggage in hopes that we won't bring home cockroach eggs. Ugh.

Room Tip: We stayed in A208 and then A207, but I suspect that the cockroach problem is widespread. Avoid this...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 336jl
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Maui Kamaole, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for staying at Maui Kamaole and I am sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience. A vast majority of our guests over the last 30+ years have recommended our services to friends and family and also praised Maui Kamaole as a great property, so we are saddened to hear that you disagree. Unfortunately we were not able to schedule an immediate bug spraying because you were pregnant, so we quickly offered to move you into another nice two-bedroom condo that was available. Having booked your stay through Hotels.com/Expedia, our hands were somewhat tied as far as refunding you any money because they must approve the refund since they are the agent that has collected money from the guest (we do not receive any payment until the guest departs). They had informed us that they would not honor any sort of discount for a downgraded room, so we worked with another guest that booked directly with us and offered them a deal if they would move rooms so that you could remain in a two bedroom ocean view.

Pocklington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed in the gorgeous condo L107 which was well-decorated, sophisticated and cosy. The location is super as it is right next to Kamaole Beach Park Three where you can sit on the grass and watch the wonderful sunsets on an evening and it is a great beach for the day time. The grounds are stunning with well-kept beautiful gardens making a very pleasant walk to and from our condo. The condo itself had everything we could need for a week's stay as part of our honeymoon to California and Maui. The lady at the main reception was so friendly and helpful - she really made our stay in Maui excellent as she had so much advice for us. We were concerned because we had not booked the condo directly so did not know which one we would get, but this was perfect for us and we needn't have worried. We had a wonderful week here and would highly recommend Maui Kamaole!

Room Tip: Tell them if you are staying for a special occasion
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Maui Kamaole, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review of Maui Kamaole and condo L107, which we manage. I am glad you found the condo sophisticated and cozy! We will be sure to pass your kind words on to the owner. We hope to see you at the Maui Kamaole again in the future.

Condominium Rentals Hawaii
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Aston Maui Hill
Aston Maui Hill
#2 of 62 in Kihei
Andaz Maui At Wailea

Been to Maui Kamaole? Share your experiences!