“D-301 = elegance without extravagance”
Review of Kihei Akahi

Kihei Akahi
Ranked #28 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Location trumps all the pluses of this delicious condo. Perched on the 3rd floor at the shaded quiet end of the secluded 'D' building is the ocean view sanctuary. This studio waits to embrace the solo traveler or couple. It is tropics savvy with its tile floors, silent ceiling fan, and cross ventilation. I enjoyed my morning coffee on the lanai greeting Haleakala, the visually spectacular dormant volcano whose name means "House of the Sun". It is rare to find accommodations that give you an ocean view and a view of Haleakala plus those sweet West Maui Mountains. Everything offered at this condo was top notch and functioned admirably. The condo's cleanliness was superb. All photos and descriptions were accurate if a bit understated. The AC is rarely needed but the low fan setting makes a lovely white noise for sleeping in since this condo has excellent polarized double pane windows allowing the hushing of the tropical bird morning serenade. The stairs are easy and close to the condo...I prefer them for getting to and from the reserved parking space, pool and bar b q...plus the exercise is good for us. The elevators are convenient, quick, and clean. I have used VRBO for over a decade and seek out these vacation rentals that have that vital quality of hosts who genuinely care about their visitors experience. Becky and Mark embody the clarity, professionalism and kindness that make them a joy to work with. Buy your fresh fish at Eskimo Candy to Bar B Q on the poolside gas grills. Also, save money by buying your grass fed steaks at Whole Foods and searing them poolside and take them back to your private lanai for a treat of a dinner. Local farmers markets are the freshest way to experience Maui foods! When you go out to eat go straight to 808 Bistro tucked in behind Fred's next door to the Kihei Akahi...their pork tenderloin and all their Ahi and Mahi Mahi recipes are spectacular. Their soups (yes, soup In the warm tropics!) are so luscious I want to lick the bowl ;-). Oh, their breakfasts are wonderful, too. Use Pacific Whale Foundation for all your snorkel, whale watch and dinner cruises. They are convenient, well priced and truly care about these oceans and their inhabitants. The snorkeling off Kam II, the beach across the street, was fun. I also like Makenna Landing for its diverse underwater reef system, sea turtles and scenery. Maluaka Beach is great for snorkeling with sea turtles...neat fish, too.

Room Tip: Each condo owned individually...up keep varies...M & B Thorman, D-301, are superb owners.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank BlueHawaii-girl

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We rented unit D-412 in this complex and loved it. The condo was clean, spacious and had a decent view of the ocean.

You couldn't ask for a better location as it's a 3 minute walk to Kamaole Beach 2 from the condo and it's close to restaurants and anything else you need. The unit was well stocked with beach chairs, mats and towels. The kitchen also had everything you might need.

One of the best things about staying in a condo rather than a hotel is having a washer and dryer. I dislike doing laundry at home but it's nice being able to wash beach towels every couple days. On this trip we also washed all of our clothes while there so we didn't have to when we got home.

This is not a complaint but just a reminder that when you book a condo there are often extra charges such as damage protection, reservation fees, housekeeping/cleaning charges and taxes so 3 nights at $99 per becomes $491. This was how ours broke down: Rental - $297, Damage Protection - $30, Reservation Fee - $25, Housekeeping Fee - $100, Taxes - $39.

This was our first trip to Maui and we want to go back and I would definitely look into staying in this unit again. We booked unit D-412 through Rentals Maui at kathy@maui.net .

Room Tip: We enjoyed unit D412.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lars E
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My Wife & I spent the 1st week in September, Unit C-208. The coffeemaker quit the first morning, a minor inconvenience to us, when I reported it a new coffeemaker showed up almost immediately. We loved the location, right across the street from one of the nicest beaches you'll ever visit. Walking distance to a couple of restaurants, and stores. Beach towels, mats & chairs, just about everything one could need. The condition of the unit was fantastic, a big Mahalo to housekeeping. If you don't already know, Maui is totally different than Oahu.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Albear4
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We rented a condo here for 3 days during our stay in Maui. There was a beautiful view of the ocean sunset from our balcony on the 5th floor (if you ignore the parking-lot below), the unit had good air-conditioning, a reasonably comfortable bed, and a kitchen with an adequate stock of dishes and cooking implements.

We were looking for a launching pad for our island adventures, and this was basically perfect for that. If you plan on spending much time in your room, though, I think its worth paying a little more and looking elsewhere.

The room had wi-fi, but you have to pay extra if you want to use it. The guy at the front desk was also a bit gruff. Not impolite, but the customer service left a bit to be desired.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 5th floor with a good view of the ocean. If you get a room on a lower floor you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
CondoRentalsHI, Condo Rental Agency at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Kihei Akahi. I am not sure if you stayed in one of the condos our management company manages, but glad to hear you enjoyed your sunset views over the ocean and ideal location for getting to countless attractions on Maui.
We hope to see you at the Kihei Akahi again in the future!

Keith
Condominium Rentals Hawaii

Reviewed November 16, 2013

So this is the third time I have stayed at these condos in the last few years and I love the property and it's location but I would definitely not recommend it to anyone with young children. The first time we stayed here our kids were small so it was a non-issue, the last time we stayed here we were told we weren't allowed to play with any type of ball on the grounds, fair enough but it actually got to the point that whenever the kids were outside (we had a ground floor unit) that the security guard would come up and let us know that there has been complaints and the kids, there were quite a few families at that time, should find somewhere else to go to play tag, dance or run around. Very disappointing so I am not sure why we would book here again but we did. Today, our first day here, the kids and I went to the pool and I made sure there was no running or diving and minimal jumping or splashing and a man actually yelled at my children. He said that in case I didn't notice there were a bunch of seniors around and they want to just nap and read and we were too disruptive and should just go to the beach. I asked if there would be a more convenient time to come back since he had actually been there for six hours. Again the grounds are nice, the location is great and I am very pleased with my condo but I think it is unfortunate that my children got yelled at by some stranger. I don't yell at my kids and I don't think it is necessary for somebody else to while we were trying to enjoy ourselves at the pool. Good times.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank slwards
Reviewed November 5, 2013

my experience with Kihei Akahi was a little bit mixed..
I arrived at 11:45 to Kihei Akahi the day after my wedding day ,A security guard recognized me and helped me to get the code for my room and he showed me the building.
with Kihei Akahi your reservation is tricky because you don't know in what building or level your condo is, you may get a beautiful condo with a charming view or as what happened to me very old room and windy and a desert view (not ocean view) condo, anyway I spent the night there because I was too tired and just wanted to go to bed after the long flight from SAN to OGG.
I discovered the high wind and the desert view problem next morning when I tried to have breakfast with my wife in the balcony, So I called them and asked them to transfer me top anther condo because i don't like this one and they replied "we don't have any studio condo available" and if I want I can upgrade to one bedroom condo and that was my only choice, And I agreed as there is no other way to fix the issue, and they started sending me to different condos and after checking like 6 condos in multiple buildings and levels, I found the perfect condo with one bedroom that has a beautiful Partial ocean view, close to the ocean and not windy.
After I decided to take this condo i called and asked her to move me to this condo, and she asked me to pay a 90$ cleaning fee for the old condo and extra $450 for the difference between the studio and the one bedroom condos, I tried with her too lower the price but it didn't work. finally i paid it and moved to the new condo.
the next 2 weeks were amazing, and i did spent a decent time in the Kihei area around the condo, go to restaurants, the beach which was way closer to the new condo, and the condo itself was very comfortable except we had some problem at night in the bedroom because there was only one window type air-condition in the living room and it didn't work it's cooling through the bedroom.

Room Tip: Chose the upper levels 4+ so you can get an Ocean View get the southern facing condons it has a bett...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andre_KR2014
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our resort and the caretakers office people are awesome.its close to stores good dining places like Dennys Peggy Sues shakes burgers fries and good atmosphere of the 50s and 60s with juke boxes.Also the luau at the Marriott is the best on the Island 5-10 minutes away from our Condo.Swimming great across from us at Kamollee Beach.Also its within a half our of major tourist attractions ,airport and car rentals.We will be back

Room Tip: Go to second or third floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple