“Unit C501 - Very tidy and so close to BEST family beach and area in Maui, Kamaole II”
Review of Kihei Akahi

Kihei Akahi
Ranked #28 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed in Kihei Akahi 501 for a week. It's very spacious for a studio but has everything you could want inside the apartment, and a nice view of the ocean from the balcony. It was very tidy and an amazing price too, and was so clean even when we moved the bed it was clean underneath.

The Akahi complex is really great. It has two swimming pools, both big and very well maintained. The pool areas also have large outdoor and under cover BBQ and eating areas which were almost never used, except by us! The kids loved eating outside in the warm evenings and jumping in the pool when they got bored of us.

The complex is just a hop across the road from Kamaole II, which we believe is the best family beach on Maui. It's also right next to the quaint little Kihei shopping complex with some restaurants (including Denny's) and little local stores good for the odd thing.

Overall this is a great place to stay, it has everything on hand and is such a good price for the Kihei area. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We would definitely stay in C501 again as it offers a really nice view of the ocean and is high enou...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JeremyCharles
araikes, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for the kind review of Kihei Akahi. We do not manage C501 but agree with you on all your points about beaches, central location, and fabulous grounds. Kihei Akahi really is located in the heart of Kihei!

Glad you enjoyed your stay and trip to Maui.

Aloha,

Keith

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in D408 and absolutely loved it. It has been totally updated so everything is like brand new. The furnishings are gorgeous and anything that you could think that you needed is there. The condo owners made it very easy to rent and to get into the condo, as we arrived at midnight. It is not right on the beach, but is walking distance to 3 beautiful Kam beaches. We were closer to the beaches than some all-inclusives we have been on. The grounds, pools, and barbecues are kept in top notch conditions and we loved the location. It is walking distance to some great reataraunts and shopping areas. It was our first trip to Maui and as soon as we returned to Canada, we rebooked this unit for 2013.

2  Thank albertansalberta
araikes, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for your great review of Kihei Akahi and the grounds. We agree that it is located in the heart of Kihei where you can walk to great beaches, popular restaurants, and other shopping options.
Glad to hear you will be coming back to Kihei Akahi again next year!

Keith

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband returned yesterday from a week stay at Kihei Akahi. We stayed in C420. It is a studio condo, so it had a queen size bed, sofa bed, kitchen, bathroom, washer/dryer and lanai. My husband and I have never been to Hawaii and were looking to try many excursions. When looking for a place to stay in Hawaii we were looking for low cost but high value for our money. We found the condo on vrbo.com. It was a bit odd, in comparison to a hotel, in that we had to send a money order instead of paying over the internet. When we arrived we found the complex very easily and the beach across the street looked perfect! Our condo was very clean when we arrived and was in great condition. We had a mountain view, which for the two of us was completely okay. We rarely sat on the lanai other than to eat a quick breakfast a couple mornings. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything we would have needed. The bathroom was very clean and updated. The only problem we had with the unit was that the washer is loud and the water in the shower does frequently change from hot to cold or vice versa. I do realize these issues are hard to manage in a condo. We will definetely recommend staying here to our family and friends. We did not use the pools at all, but did frequent many of the area beaches. Our rental had snorkel gear, boogie board, beach towels, beach mats, umbrella, and beach chairs that we could use, which was an awesome feature! Thanks so much for the great trip! Mahalo!

Room Tip: Go through www.vrbo.com so you can view photos of your condo and read reviews by others. Also, this...
2  Thank ktmatv
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Aloha and Mahalo (Thank you) for your review. We are not the rental management company for this rental, but we do manage other units at Kihei Akahi. It is Not our policy to ask for a money order. This must have been because you were dealing with the owner directly from VRBO. This is not an industry standard and I would avoid doing such transactions in the future. I am very happy to hear that everything worked out fine and that you and your husband had a great vacation here on Maui. Kamaole Beach 2, across the street, is a great beach and it is great that the owner provided the beach gear. We hope you will return to Maui and choose to stay at Kihei Akahi. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance.
Mahalo, Marina, Maui Condo and Home, LLC.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our second trip to Kihei, Akahi is located directly across the street from Kam beach 2 A perfect location Grounds to the resort in very nice shape kept clean and groomed
This where it stops. The room we were in c305 was very filthy. I had to go buy cleaners. The bathtub GROSS !! major scrubbing. Had to rewash all dishes being used most pot and frying pans totally worn out.. Cleaning the floor and mopping was also needed All cupboards , base boards -dirty dirty . After 2 days finally got the place semi cleaned. Every thing in the condo worked fine . I feel the owners of this unit is getting totally riped off of the condo fees. blinds also broken so no night time privacy I would stay here again only if they hired some one properly to the clean the units

1  Thank Robert S
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Aloha Rudi2go,
Thank you for the kind review of the property grounds and location. Your complaints about the room are understandable. The Kihei Akahi property has 240 privately owned condos that are either rented out through condo management companies or private owners. We do not manage unit C305, but I hope your experience with this particular owner and room quality does not sway you from returning to Kihei Akahi for a future trip. I can assure you the condos we manage are professionally cleaned before and after each guest arrives and we provide immediate assistance with any guest issues.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed in this condo in mid June 2012. I'll break down the condo in terms of the many issues I had while staying here:

Bathroom: The walls were gross and yellow was all around your door in the room with shower and toilet. I felt dirty every time I took a shower

Dishes: Wow, they were disgusting! We had planned to eat many meals in the condo but only ate one. The dishes (and pans) we used we had to wash before use. They were still dirty from a prior guest!

Floor sticky: This was true throughout the entire condo!

Ruined clothes: This condo's washer from the 1970's ruined three of our bathing suits. It yellowed the white parts on them, and even after we tried bleaching them they yellow still would not come out! The washer/dryer combo was old and outdated.

Loud ac and washer dryer: As I mentioned, the washer and dryer is old and outdated. The unit is unbearably loud when in use, and it makes it unbearable to be in the unit when its on. This also goes for the A/C. It was very hard to sleep with this LOUD air conditioner in the unit.

Shower: This is the worst feature in the condo. Tied for the washer and dryer. The shower goes from ice cold to scalding hot with no warning. The temperature changed constantly on us in each and every shower we took!

I was truly embarrassed to have rented this unit, and did not know what to say to my girlfriend. It absolutely diminished our trip and we hated coming back to the condo every night. I would have rented another place had we not payed upfront. If this had been a hotel, I would have checked out after the first night.

What makes it worse, is that when I contacted the owner to resolve the issues...I got a whole lot of nothing in return except for a bunch of excuses as to why she has no money to fix up the unit! And, she proceeded to blame me for wanting to use the A/C (she said its Hawaii and you should open the doors and use the winds...not the air conditioner), for ruining my own clothes (said it must have been from chlorine from the pool...but I didn't ever go to a pool) and said there is nothing she can do to fix the water issues in the shower since its a community water heater. And, to make it worse she scolded me for not cleaning the condo before I left! I'm on vacation, and am paying for someone to clean the condo....and I need to clean it before the cleaning crew comes? Give me a break.

Room Tip: Stay away from this one!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bpaul2
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Aloha BPaul,

I am sorry your visit to Maui and Kihei Akahi did not go as smoothly as you had wished. We do not manage unit C101, but understand your frustrations. In case you plan a return trip to Maui, I encourage you to work with a condo management company who can maintain high quality standards in your condo and in a worst-case-scenario move you to a new condo that perfectly fits your needs.

I hope you decide to return to Maui in the future and not let this experience leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

A101 is THE place to stay! We thorougly enjoyed our time at the condo, which is equipped with every cooking utensil and appliance needed (really liked the icemaker for those cold afternoon drinks), boogie boards, beach chairs, large beach towels and a washer/dryer in the unit! No need to use the air conditioner...we just opened all the windows, let the ocean breezes flow thru and fell asleep to the sound of the waves!! Wonderful. The upper lanai has incredible views of the beach and, of course, amazing sunsets. The ground level patio is in a beautiful private garden (watch for the geckos and myna birds). A short stroll away are great shops of every description, great places to eat (try seafood or steak at Cafe O'Lei), shave-ice shop, ice cream shop, pedi/mani shop and great breakfasts right next door. There is even a consignment store further down Kihei Rd, close to Foodland, if you should need to buy an extra suitcase to take home all the neat things that you buy! Or ABC store...they sell most everything that you might have forgotten to buy at Costco. Kihei Akahi is also a short drive away from some very interesting shops at Wailea...these are a must see if you like shopping. Surf boards and kayaks are available for rent, very inexpensively, along Kihei Rd, right across the street from a SUP/surf beach...the staff there are very helpful in recommending what board you need. No need to walk or drive very far for entertainment or food.The owner of A101 is most helpful and quick to respond to any questions or concerns you may have. We felt very safe here and will be recommending this property to everyone. We plan on returning to A101!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank altalass
araikes, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your glowing review of Kihei Akahi. We agree that the grounds are beautiful and within close proximity to great shopping, dining, and beaches.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We booked through VRBO.com. B building has a great grassy courtyard that my kids loved playing in. We used both the pools, there are quite a few older folks who frequent the pools and never said anything, but I got the feeling some didn't care for kids being at the pool. Mine aren't off the hook btw, I keep them in line. FYI though. We had a great vacation, and Akahi was centrally located. Made things easier. The owner has done a great job of keeping it updated, and it had good beds. When we were there the whole complex was getting it's trees trimmed, and it was really clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank squisheez
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Aloha and thank you for your review!! We are very happy to hear that you have returned and that your second stay was more enjoyable than your first. Your children are more than welcome to play on the grassy areas as well as the pool. That's what they are there for. We appreciatre your patronage and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Maui. Please contact us with any questions. Mahalo, the management at Maui Condo and Home.