“Great Location , Dirty Room”
Review of Kihei Akahi

Kihei Akahi
Ranked #28 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our second trip to Kihei, Akahi is located directly across the street from Kam beach 2 A perfect location Grounds to the resort in very nice shape kept clean and groomed
This where it stops. The room we were in c305 was very filthy. I had to go buy cleaners. The bathtub GROSS !! major scrubbing. Had to rewash all dishes being used most pot and frying pans totally worn out.. Cleaning the floor and mopping was also needed All cupboards , base boards -dirty dirty . After 2 days finally got the place semi cleaned. Every thing in the condo worked fine . I feel the owners of this unit is getting totally riped off of the condo fees. blinds also broken so no night time privacy I would stay here again only if they hired some one properly to the clean the units

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert S
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Aloha Rudi2go,
Thank you for the kind review of the property grounds and location. Your complaints about the room are understandable. The Kihei Akahi property has 240 privately owned condos that are either rented out through condo management companies or private owners. We do not manage unit C305, but I hope your experience with this particular owner and room quality does not sway you from returning to Kihei Akahi for a future trip. I can assure you the condos we manage are professionally cleaned before and after each guest arrives and we provide immediate assistance with any guest issues.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed in this condo in mid June 2012. I'll break down the condo in terms of the many issues I had while staying here:

Bathroom: The walls were gross and yellow was all around your door in the room with shower and toilet. I felt dirty every time I took a shower

Dishes: Wow, they were disgusting! We had planned to eat many meals in the condo but only ate one. The dishes (and pans) we used we had to wash before use. They were still dirty from a prior guest!

Floor sticky: This was true throughout the entire condo!

Ruined clothes: This condo's washer from the 1970's ruined three of our bathing suits. It yellowed the white parts on them, and even after we tried bleaching them they yellow still would not come out! The washer/dryer combo was old and outdated.

Loud ac and washer dryer: As I mentioned, the washer and dryer is old and outdated. The unit is unbearably loud when in use, and it makes it unbearable to be in the unit when its on. This also goes for the A/C. It was very hard to sleep with this LOUD air conditioner in the unit.

Shower: This is the worst feature in the condo. Tied for the washer and dryer. The shower goes from ice cold to scalding hot with no warning. The temperature changed constantly on us in each and every shower we took!

I was truly embarrassed to have rented this unit, and did not know what to say to my girlfriend. It absolutely diminished our trip and we hated coming back to the condo every night. I would have rented another place had we not payed upfront. If this had been a hotel, I would have checked out after the first night.

What makes it worse, is that when I contacted the owner to resolve the issues...I got a whole lot of nothing in return except for a bunch of excuses as to why she has no money to fix up the unit! And, she proceeded to blame me for wanting to use the A/C (she said its Hawaii and you should open the doors and use the winds...not the air conditioner), for ruining my own clothes (said it must have been from chlorine from the pool...but I didn't ever go to a pool) and said there is nothing she can do to fix the water issues in the shower since its a community water heater. And, to make it worse she scolded me for not cleaning the condo before I left! I'm on vacation, and am paying for someone to clean the condo....and I need to clean it before the cleaning crew comes? Give me a break.

Room Tip: Stay away from this one!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bpaul2
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Aloha BPaul,

I am sorry your visit to Maui and Kihei Akahi did not go as smoothly as you had wished. We do not manage unit C101, but understand your frustrations. In case you plan a return trip to Maui, I encourage you to work with a condo management company who can maintain high quality standards in your condo and in a worst-case-scenario move you to a new condo that perfectly fits your needs.

I hope you decide to return to Maui in the future and not let this experience leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Mahalo,

Reviewed May 23, 2012

A101 is THE place to stay! We thorougly enjoyed our time at the condo, which is equipped with every cooking utensil and appliance needed (really liked the icemaker for those cold afternoon drinks), boogie boards, beach chairs, large beach towels and a washer/dryer in the unit! No need to use the air conditioner...we just opened all the windows, let the ocean breezes flow thru and fell asleep to the sound of the waves!! Wonderful. The upper lanai has incredible views of the beach and, of course, amazing sunsets. The ground level patio is in a beautiful private garden (watch for the geckos and myna birds). A short stroll away are great shops of every description, great places to eat (try seafood or steak at Cafe O'Lei), shave-ice shop, ice cream shop, pedi/mani shop and great breakfasts right next door. There is even a consignment store further down Kihei Rd, close to Foodland, if you should need to buy an extra suitcase to take home all the neat things that you buy! Or ABC store...they sell most everything that you might have forgotten to buy at Costco. Kihei Akahi is also a short drive away from some very interesting shops at Wailea...these are a must see if you like shopping. Surf boards and kayaks are available for rent, very inexpensively, along Kihei Rd, right across the street from a SUP/surf beach...the staff there are very helpful in recommending what board you need. No need to walk or drive very far for entertainment or food.The owner of A101 is most helpful and quick to respond to any questions or concerns you may have. We felt very safe here and will be recommending this property to everyone. We plan on returning to A101!

6  Thank altalass
araikes, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your glowing review of Kihei Akahi. We agree that the grounds are beautiful and within close proximity to great shopping, dining, and beaches.

Mahalo,

Reviewed May 3, 2012

We booked through VRBO.com. B building has a great grassy courtyard that my kids loved playing in. We used both the pools, there are quite a few older folks who frequent the pools and never said anything, but I got the feeling some didn't care for kids being at the pool. Mine aren't off the hook btw, I keep them in line. FYI though. We had a great vacation, and Akahi was centrally located. Made things easier. The owner has done a great job of keeping it updated, and it had good beds. When we were there the whole complex was getting it's trees trimmed, and it was really clean.

1  Thank squisheez
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Aloha and thank you for your review!! We are very happy to hear that you have returned and that your second stay was more enjoyable than your first. Your children are more than welcome to play on the grassy areas as well as the pool. That's what they are there for. We appreciatre your patronage and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Maui. Please contact us with any questions. Mahalo, the management at Maui Condo and Home.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Warning - There is a full time resident living in DG12 who likes to go to bed at 7:30pm. We actually had security come to our door at 8:15pm in the middle of our family dinner to let us know they had received a complaint about the noise. Are you kidding me? We were eating dinner . . .
Security was very good, apologized for interrupting us and admitted they could barely hear us talking around the table but still asked us to close our sliding door & windows. Rental income is what makes a place like this survive so full timers need to re-evaluate which building they choose to reside in and the strata administrators need to put a stop to this ridiculous behaviour. I am pretty sure that 95% of building ‘D’ are rental units and without families like mine putting up a $1000 a week, these places will cease to exist. We did stop in to the administration office to make sure we weren’t being off-side with our expectations and they were sympathetic to our needs which was good but we were still on pins and needles for the remainder of our holiday hoping the cranky lady next door (what my kids referred to her as) wouldn’t call security on us again. Bottom line is, I spent a good chunk of money to enjoy my holiday here and didn't need someone trying to tell me that I need to go to bed at 8:00pm. Remember if you do rent DG13, your rights to enjoy your holiday are just as important as any resident there. If ‘cranky lady’ wants consistency on who she gets for a neighbour each week, then move to a non-rental building – otherwise quit spoiling the vacation for others. Other than this, the unit was excellent and provided everything needed to enjoy a famiuly holiday in Maui.

4  Thank Steven C
MauiCondoMarina, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Aloha and thank you for your feedback. We apologize for your trip being affected by this. You brought up many valid points and we understand your frustration. This is not something that you should have to worry about while on vacation. As long as you are acting within the rules and guidelines then you should not have to worry about anything else. We hope that you do choose to return to Maui and consider Kihei Akahi or one of our other condominium complexes in Kihei. Mahalo, the management at Maui Condo and Home

Reviewed March 23, 2012

upgrade on elevator started early Feb. We booked our trip after that and were not told of this major inconvience. Many times we had to use the stairs because the elevator took forever to come. I have a bad hip so it was not a pleasure! We were directly across from the elevator and it was noisy day and night. Either by people or the maintainence crew. Our bedroom window had slats so you could hear everything!! Our condo "C" room 610 was not very clean and the dishes and pots ect needed to be rewashed by us before using them. This was not where I would come again!

Room Tip: inquire of any renovations going on and stay away from slatted windows and elevators and go to a bet...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Anita H

Aloha! Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that you did not have a pleasant stay at Kihei Akahi. We do not manage the unit that you stayed in, but we do manage other units at Kihei Akahi. We do make our guests aware of all maintenance that is being done on property. We go through training with our housekeepers and we inspect all of our units on arrival day to ensure that our guests have the best stay possible. We hope that you consider staying at Kihei Akahi again or at one of our other condominium properties. Mahalo, the management at Maui Condo and Home.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

D building is we're it's at, most condos have ocean views from the lanai. Set up is nice with one bedroom and a pull out couch for an extra bed, some two bedroom available. Full kitchen and BBQ at the pool allows for dining at home. We like breakfast at home, lunch at the beach... Happy hour on the lanai and then dinner on the que or a night out. Good dining options in walking distance and a short drive to many others. Grounds here are nicely taken care of and its short walk to the beach. Do your homework and book from a reputable source or a known entity. We've been staying here once or twice a year since 2002 and this place delivers a casual atmosphere with everything you need at a great price.

Room Tip: D building has the views, floors 4 and above the best and higher room numbers orient for the best vi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Aloha and Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoy your time at Kihei Akahi and that you choose to return to this property year after year. You have pointed out many great amenities at the property and the surrounding area. We appreciate your patronage and we hope to see you again soon! Mahalo, the management at Maui Condo and Home