“Great location - great condo Unit C406”
Review of Kihei Akahi

Kihei Akahi
Ranked #28 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Kihei Akahi met all of our needs. Our particular unit was C406 and we found it on VRBO. The owner lives in Maui and he takes great pride in his condo, which is evident the moment you walk in. It's clean and well stocked. The unit was a nice view from the lanai. We met the owner upon arrival and he was a wealth of information about what to see and do. He also gave us a box of caramacs. Yum!

As far as the amenities of Kihei Akahi, it really has a lot to offer. We only used the main pool by the BBQ area. It was lots of lounge chairs and a covered area and nice BBQ facilities. In the evenings we saw several people having dinners there. We met some very nice people at the pool. We had an assigned parking spot and had free internet.

The location is right across from Kamaole Beach II. It's about a 3 minute walk from leaving condo to sand. Just walk through parking lot and across street. Very easy. Kamaole Beach II is lovely. Our particular unit was filled with beach chairs, umbrellas, snorkeling gear a cooler etc. Everything you'd need for a wonderful day at the beach.

I would definitely stay at Kihei Akahi again, particularly this unit. We never need the AC on, the ceiling fans were sufficient.

The owner rents his condo through vrbo and his own website kiheibeachbumsdotcom

Highly recommend this unit!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Squirble

Reviewed October 21, 2011

If you want a clean, quiet, safe place in South Kihei, this is your spot. Kihei Akahi is across the street from Kam II, a close walk to Kam I & II, and walking distance to groceries and about any type of restaurant you'd like. Those who don't want to rent a car in Maui would do well here. All the beaches are clean, with grills, showers, and picnic tables so it's great for those with families and groups. The Kam's also have decent snorkeling and are VERY family friendly. Kihei Akahi is also a very short drive to Makena, Wailea, and Maalaea if you'd like to shop or try out other beaches.
You'll gather this from the reviews, but your experience here will differ per condo. Each unit is individually owned and owners maintain and update their properties at their own pace. This is a great place, and a great value, you just need to make sure you get a lucky draw. I was initially really turned off by this; I didn't want my vacation to be spoiled by having a condo that was not clean or usable, I want a guaranteed great place. It's possible!:
I found a youtube video from Kathy at Maui Vision. The video had many photos of a unit (c618), photos of the grounds at Kihei Akahi, and the view from the condo lanai. I emailed her and she explained that her condo was occupied for the time I needed, but she had some other condos available. Each condo had tons of photos, their own listings, and reviews from other travelers. I was nervous about booking through a person instead of a website, but I read the reviews carefully and felt safe doing so. I got a phone call soon after from her, so it made the experience feel even more legit. What I appreciate is that when I booked with Kathy, there were no hidden/surprise/"resort" costs, she broke every single cent down so there was no surprise.
The rest of the review is specific to condo c619: The condo is VERY CLEAN, well furnished, and tastefully decorated with a modern feel. We had complimentary wireless, which was appreciated to read reviews and reccs for restaurants and snorkeling. There was also a flat screen TV, washer and dryer (SO HELPFUL!) tons of great furniture, bath towels and linens. The kitchen is BEAUTIFUL, with brand-new appliances (coffee maker, toaster oven, microwave, etc), and a gas stove and oven. This is great for people who like to cook or save money by eating in. There's a local fish market, Eskimo candy, where we picked up fresh fish to grill and broil, so I recommend that!
The condo itself is far away from the elevators so there is not much noise or foot traffic, and has a GREAT view facing Haleakala. Since it's facing Haleakala, it doesn't have the best sunset view, but we always enjoyed that on the beach or at the restaurants.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have better views, but do get hotter. There are just wall A/C units so keep t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pia g
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We have stayed at Akahi four times now and we love C312. This unit seems to be newly renovated and furnished. The trees in the garden give some great shade and from the lanai, you can see both the ocean and Haleakela. We stayed in B205 before and really liked that one as well.

We never used the air con, we kept the windows going and used the two big ceiling fans - one in the living room and one in the bedroom and never felt too warm. The bed is super comfy.

We were there with an extended family and we can attest that some units are better upgraded than others. I guess you get what you pay for - I felt really bad about the unit I booked for my parents. The complex is well run - the grounds are very well kept up and the pool areas are clean and tidy. There is regular security patrols so that you never felt anything but perfectly safe.

We saw comments on here about owners not getting along with guests, so we were worried as we had 7 kids from 2 - 18 with us. But, most of the people there actually seem to be guests but I guess everyone has a different idea of what their vacation should be. Some want to party and some want complete solitude. So long as everyone is respectful of their fellow guests, it should all be good!

Right next door is Fred's Mexican Restaurant and Moose McGillicuddys both of which are great for families. Tucked in behind Fred's is Bistro 808 - we dumped the kids one night, took a bottle of wine (it is byob with $0 corkage) and had a great dinner. There are great beaches within walking distance or short drives. We took our teenagers to Paia (around Kahului ) and they really loved the funky vibe of the town. We bought some art at "By the Bay" in Paia and they shipped it back to the mainland for us.

I also love poking around Lahaina. Kimo's is a great restaurant right on the beach - go for lunch at the beachfront bar. We did dinner one night - over rated in my view, but lunch was fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors usually have better views of the ocean, but also get more direct sunlight and...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KiheiAkahiOfficial
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We were in D416 - an end studio suite. Very quiet (except for the lovely birds in the early a.m.!). New'ish fridge and gas stove. Microwave and other small appliances. Dryer vent is damaged and needs repair (clothes will dry, they just take a while); couldn't find any evidence of a switch for bathroom fan; a/c worked well to keep the room cool (also helped that unit wasn't receiving direct sun); key coded entrance was awesome so no worry about carrying a key; pool/tennis court; cable connection available for internet (approx $10 per day or $40 per week); local restaurants within walking distance; when you check in you get a discount card for local grocery store, plus coupon; right across from Kam II Beach; small amount of cleaning/laundry supplies available.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ctkitty555
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Just got back from Maui! Had a blast! We stayed in C 620 and it was a nice studio condo. The only complaint that I have is the air conditioning. One little ole window unit which couldn't keep up. Luckily they had a fan that we had to place by the bed or I wouldn't have made it. I love coming back to a cold room after a day at the beach but this was not the case. Another thing they could do is at least turn it on before you get there. It was very stuffy when we arrived. Also if you do rent this, you have to drive about 8 miles to check in and they don't open until 8 am. We arrived after 5 so had to get up the next morning and drive out of our way to check in.
My dad stayed in room C 612 and it also had a terrible little window unit. His room was very nice but we couldn't keep cool in that room either. He was pretty disappointed. The room was a 1 bedroom garden view. The bedroom had no air and you couldn't even feel any air coming in.
If you are a smoker you have to walk down to the parking lot which is a hassle. All in all it was a great trip. When we go back I will not stay in the condo due to the lack of air conditioning and we will be going back to Maui next year. Maui is the most beautiful place I've ever been!!!

The location is pretty good. Walking distance to places to eat and have some cocktails!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My husband and I were in Maui for a couple of weeks and decided to extend our stay for a few extra days and the 'great deal' that came up was a package in Kihei Akahi. The suite itself was fine, nothing fancy and looks decorated from about 1995, but was very clean. The kitchen was updated, which was very nice; nice counters, nice appliances a few helpful amenities like salt and pepper and a few other condiments. And the shower was great, actually. It had a spray from the wall and the ceiling and we loved it. The biggest complaint was that there was only air conditioning in the living room, and that barely kept up. There was NO air conditioning in the bedroom and we are usually okay with that, but it was COOKING in there. There were a couple of fans and we tried all the tricks that they mentioned, with the doors and the fans and everything, but it basically just moved that hot air around...
The building itself was very large, multiple buildings and multiple levels to each building. There was very little greenery to look out to, the view from the lanai was a parkade and the ocean was a 'glimpse', but we didn't spend much time at the condo anyway. We have stayed at the Kamaole Sands a couple of doors down, and maybe that was where we got spoiled...fabulous grounds, attractive building, smaller scale and good ocean views...
The Kihei Akahi was decent, definitely good for what we paid for it, but if I had paid 'rack or regular rates' I would have been disappointed.
It certainly didn't ruin my trip, but if you want your Maui vacation to be perfect, there are much nicer places to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2011

No Air Conditioning, dirty, Desk staff that didn't even know how to access the room, and no complimentary internet as promised. If you get an opportunity to stay here -- RUN don't walk to the nearest exit. I would never stay here again. Oh, did I mention how awful the beds are?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank epanning
araikes, Manager at Kihei Akahi, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Kihei Akahi was not built with central air conditioning therefore not all units provide this amenitiy.
Units in the CRH program are required to have A/C which can only be installed in the livingroom and kitchen area. Units booked through VRBO or through other management companies may or may not have A/C. This would apply to internet service as well. Units in the CRH program all have high speed internet. Some units offer this on a complimentary basis others for a fee.
We hope this guest will give Kihei Akahi a second chance and perhaps contact the person they booked with for compensation for not delivering the promised items.