The Hale Pau Hana
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsacross the streetthe kitchenamazing fishliving roomlawn chairsbedroom doorbeautiful beachamazing locationwouldn't stay anywhere elsekam iicondo resortfirst floorsliderssound of the waveskihei areaproperty managementgrassy area
FilterAll languages
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 8, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hale Pau Hana from May 28-June 2, 2005, and it was a terrific choice. We rented a 1 bedroom/1 bath unit in the low rise building, and it was steps from the beach. We had our own private lanai and the unit itself came equipped with a full-size refrigerator, microwave, blender, and dishwasher. A couple BBQ grills are also on site for your use. One thing to note: if you're looking for your room to be 'made up' for you each day, you won't get that kind of service. This is a condo unit, not a hotel. That said, we received fresh towels every couple of days, including an extra set for the beach.

Speaking of which, the beach itself is incredible - coming from the east coast originally and living in L.A. now, I have never set foot on sand that had no shells mixed in. It was like walking in powder, and the water had no rocks to speak of. If you plan to go in June, expect water around 80 degrees F. Heaven!

Hana Pau also has a small pool that was used during the time we were there primarily by younger children and their parent or grandparent. Overall I'd say the pool was underused, likely because the beach and ocean are so inviting. While researching this vacation, one thing we looked for were places with a poolside bar and a jacuzzi like some of the larger hotels offer. You won't find either at Hana Pau. But it was a tradeoff, and I still think our choice was a very good one.

Also to note: the staff was very friendly and welcoming, and arriving very late at night at the resort, a key was waiting for us with no problem. I would highly recommend Hana Pau if you want to do your own thing, using the condo as a 'home base' while taking advantage of the beach, nearby snorkeling sites, or the nightlife down the road. I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2005

we loved this place, rooms can be very different as far as deco and updating, for me as long as it's clean, i am not a picky person, prefer comfortable home feel over hotel but wow! quiet, comfortable, relaxing, clean safe swimming beach. I did notice the rooms were never cleaned the week we were there, a condo thing? But towels were changed regularly. Everything you need to cook and bbq to get away from the very expensive eating out. like being at home. every night a beautifu sunset, weater in May is beautiful and you can even have the beach to yourself at different times of the day it seems.

My favorite things snorkling.. right out front was great, also did the long hikes to aquarium and fishbowl, AMAZING Our biggest WOW? We had the honor of swimming with same large manta rays about 50 yards out directly in front of our room, i will never forget that.

walked round the wailea hotels, i am pretty sure i would always be more comfortable at hale pau hana.

even saw a few goodluck geckos runnin around at night.. oh yeah... try Da Kitchen for some good local inexpensive (large portioned) grub

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank mazikeen
Oregon
Reviewed May 3, 2005

My husband and I just got back from our first trip to the islands, celebrating our tenth anniversary. After a 3-night stay in a "so-so" hotel in Honolulu, we were delighted when entering our room at HPH resort. It held a separate bedroom off to the left, with a long hallway which led us to the livingroom\dining room and a little kitchenette tucked into a corner. It was charming and we felt immediately at home.
Another feather we loved was the magnificant view from an extra large sliding door and generous sized lanai, complete with both lawn chairs and table and chairs. Below is the immaculate grounds with swaying palm trees, and a few feet from that, the warm sands of the beach. In fact, of all the beaches we visited, it was one of our favorites and so picturesque, with it's bay-like shorline. We even went snorkeling right there!

We liked the personal, intimate qualities of the resort. After walking around some of the five-star resorts, we actually liked ours much better, since the larger ones seemed more impersonal. Our hotel manager went out of his way to make us feel at home.

We also appreciated that everything we might possibly want was probably somewhere in our room, down to the beach umbrella and reading books.

To top if off, we were treated to a small luau show on our grounds, which they have weekly, and we enjoyed it as much or better than the expensive one we attended.

We hope to one day soon go back to Maui and will most likely stay once more at the Hale Pau Hana resort...we miss it already!

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 10, 2005

My family and I spent two weeks here in July 2004. It was the first time to Maui for my kids, aged 12 and 9. It was the perfect place for us! To be able to step off the lanai, take maybe 20 steps across the lawn and down the stairs to the sand was outstanding. We were lulled to sleep every night by the surf and met some very friendly and wonderful people. One of our best vacations ever! Room was clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable. We are hooked on Maui! If you are looking for true beachfront, this is the place. The resort is not new and most units are individually owned by long-time owners, but the place is very well cared for. The units in the low-rise are a little cramped, but nice anyway.

• Stayed: June 2004
7  Thank kama'ainawannbe
N.Hollywood,Ca.
Reviewed March 2, 2005

I highly recomend this resort! I want to thank the staff for going out of their way for me. They are a very nice staff and made me feel welcome. The room was beautifull , and the ocean was even more beautifull. I spent most of my vacation right in front of my room. There's alot of conveniant stores and a Denny's right across, that has friendly service . Theres enough to do there by the resort , when it comes to beach, restuarants, stores, and photo opportunities. The resort also offers plenty of on-site activities for everyone. Whether you stay there with your family or by yourself, this hotel and location is paradice! I give it 2 thumbs up!

Noel Santana (N. Hollywood,Ca.)

• Stayed: February 2005