“Awesome!”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Owner description: MWR is a family owned and operated business dedicated to providing surfing lessons to each student with a fun, safe and unforgettable surf experience. We adapt our style of teaching to the ability of each student. We will go that extra mile to make your surf experience the most memorable highlight of your vacation!
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a great time! Our entire family of 4 went for our first time surfing, Keoki was our instructor and he was awesome! He took the time to make sure we all knew what to do. He had us all up on the boards on our first wave (or second for me) We were in a small group-just us 4 & 1other young girl so it was perfect to learn. I will definitely surf with Maui Wave Riders again and recommend them for sure! Felt comfortable & confident, and I am not a strong swimmer,( and have terrible balance. ) We all had a blast! Best day of our trip to Maui!

There are newer reviews for Maui Wave Riders

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had a great time surfing with Maui Wave Riders. It was our first time trying surf and it went pretty well. It is conveniently located next to the beach, you get there and you jump into the ocean! Our instructor was friendly and taught us what we needed to know. You get a cap at the end, yay!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Booked for myself and two children and had Ikaika. He rocked. My kids enjoyed it and so did I. The only downside is the picture guy was cool to talk to and got some good shots of my kids but only sells as family rate which is about the same rate as paying for another surf lesson. I wanted pictures of my kids not me but i had to be included in the price. That was uncool but my wife got some excellent shots so i passed on that but there where two i really wanted but just couldn't. But I would recommend them had to problems with them.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Well, we agree with most reviewers: we, too, were delighted with Maui Waveriders when we wanted to try surfing on our first trip to Hawai’i. It’s so hard to get the non-advertising, straight goods on things in Hawai’i, so in the end it was reviews such as this that convinced us to go with them. Our thanks to previous reviewers for their good advice!

We were four females in a family: 14, 17, 21 and 52(!) years old, and registered for a group lesson that ended up with only the 4 of us in it. The young ones were only beginners; the older one (me) was both a beginner AND a coward (boards! sharp coral! people in the way! sharks?!). But Maui Waveriders specializes in us, they claim. And so they do! Sonny B. in Lahaina was our friendly, knowledgeable, fun instructor, and he indeed got all of us going--- including even me. Once we had the basic how-to and he’d given us each a try, he was great at tailoring each subsequent ride to the particular needs of each of us: giving each one the right (simple) advice at the right time, the right “helping hand” at (only) the right time, waiting for the right wave, keeping us all encouraged, etc., etc.

A note to those of you who, like me, "used to be" fit, "used to be" flexible, "used to be" pain-free in the joints, "used to be" (fill your own blank here): You can do this! Granted, I wasn’t nearly as graceful as my daughters (or graceful at all, I daresay!), but I still did it! The 2-hour length was just about right, and included regular short breaks in shallow water, while briefly waiting for your next turn (and cheering on your co-surfers!). By the end, the arms were definitely a bit tired from paddling, but they still went the distance and felt only a little, proudly reminiscing stiffness the next day. The hips and knees weren’t sure they wanted to fully cooperate with standing up smoothly on a moving board, but I think Sonny worked in a little steadying assistance a few times (sort of like my dad did when he taught me to ride a bike) and I managed---And then, like Dad, he took away the help and I didn’t even notice! Really, if you've gotten as far as thinking that you'd LIKE to do this, then you probably CAN. Go for it!

Surprisingly (to us), we also quite happily sprung for the full disc of photos at the end ---something we usually would expect to be just one of those ubiquitous tourist-milking things---because they were actually a lot of really good action photos, well beyond our own ability to take, and they make a great slide-show of an experience we will want to remember.

As a last side-point of convenience, we easily used the website to book online. So simple, and available 24/7!

1  Thank shesoutoftown
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked a group lesson with them on a friend's recommendation who had used them. It was a great first surfing experience; our instructor had a good sense of humor, taught us well, and was patient. It was MUCH easier than I anticipated (and my kids were desperate to do it so I went along). Two hours is actually the right amount of time and the beach they take to you is quite manageable (although crowded with new surfers -- we did the 10 am lesson and it thinned out about halfway through). They also have a photographer in the water who gets some great pictures (so budget the extra $20 per person to buy them). A bonus was lunch truck right next to them who served amazing fish tacos.