“Great company creates a great time”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Owner description: MWR is a family owned and operated business dedicated to providing surfing lessons to each student with a fun, safe and unforgettable surf experience. We adapt our style of teaching to the ability of each student. We will go that extra mile to make your surf experience the most memorable highlight of your vacation!
Roseville, California
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great company creates a great time”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our daughters (16 & 21) took group lessons with Maui Wave Riders on June 13. The instruction, assistance out in the waves, services, everything made this a great day. Although my wife and I did not participate, watching our daughters have fun and doing quite well learning and then catching waves on their own made for a great day. The bonus that really added to it for our daughters was the baseball cap given to participants and the free rental of a board for the afternoon after the lesson. The staff were great and the pictures their photographer got up close (extra $) were great and worth it.

I would highly recommend this organization.

Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Last year our two boys (aged 10 & 11) took surf lessons at MWR with an instructor named Keani. He was wonderful. The class had only 6 people and Keani did a great job - well organized and lots of hands-on attention. We took the kids back this year and had a terrible experience. They had a different instructor. He gave them a cursory dry-land lesson and then they headed to the beach. MWR was very disorganized about getting out the surfboards. Once they got into the water, the kids got very little attention from the instructor. A second group of students started surfing in the exact same place, and those students grabbed all the waves first, so my kids' class didn't get much opportunity to practice. My kids' instructor actually started working with the students in the other class, who were mostly girls in their 20s. Also, beware of the photographer. Last year there was a nice guy who took excellent photos and sold us the CD at a reasonable price. This year there was a different guy -- kind of slick - tried to give us a hard sell at outrageous prices, and the pictures weren't very good. We will not be going back to MWR again.

Visited June 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Super Fun and Friendly”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

It was our first time surfing and it was in the rain, but despite my fears, we had a FANTASTIC experience. I felt so safe and my instructor made me feel so brave! We both got up on the board and really enjoyed the lesson. The rainy day turned out to be good because no one else was out surfing making it easier and less scary to learn. Due to the rain, MWR let us use the boards on a sunny day instead of keeping it the same day. That was great!!!! Definitely recommend this company and experience for all. And the photos were fun too :)

Ottawa, Canada
“loved every minute”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Kihei was awesome! It was a windy day and three of us were learning to SUP. My 11 year old was getting blown out further than he liked, so he taught her how to surf instead.He nicknamed her "rescue mission" and she loves telling everyone about it since we've been home. My son and I continued to paddle. He was always checking on us, he even caught the moment I wiped out and lost my sunglasses.
Absolutely would go back. Kihei was very informative about anything we asked, surfing the local area, restaurants.

Regina, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“First time surfer”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had a wickedly good experience with these folks. I actually showed up later than the rest of my group and they didn't bat an eye. They gave me the land lesson and then I walked with my board over to the group in the ocean to join them. The instructor there gave me ample 1-1 time to get me up to speed with the rest. the waves were plenty enough for a beginner (there were about 10 of us in the class in total by the way - which felt decent). I was able to get going on quite a few waves and really had a good time. The instructors had a lot of tips to make the riding better.
They have a photographer in the water snapping pix of your first experience. you could buy a disc of the pix if you wanted ($20 I think?) - felt reasonable if you were up for it. the photos were actually REALLY well taken.
they provided surf shirts so you didn't get a rash from the board. they also provided you with he rubberized shoes so you could stay on the board. 3 hrs and it was a great time! I'd go with them again.