“Spotting turtles while surfing”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Owner description: MWR is a family owned and operated business dedicated to providing surfing lessons to each student with a fun, safe and unforgettable surf experience. We adapt our style of teaching to the ability of each student. We will go that extra mile to make your surf experience the most memorable highlight of your vacation!
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Had beginners surf lesson with Keiki and team, took the 7am class since we were told that the early mornings are the best, which makes sense since the water is always full with surfers from sunrise until about noon. Our group had 7 people, cost was $60 per person and got full gear, just show up in your bathing-suit. I agree the receptionist lady is a little rude, but you have about 2 minutes interaction with her and the rest of the crew was amazingly kind and friendly. We stay about 2 blocks from their location, so we walked over and Cove park is the best spot to start surfing. During the lesson we spotted a group of turtles about 100meters further so we paddled out and watched them for a while, what a treat! If you want to surf go with these guys and enjoy the waves. We are going back for rentals tomorrow! Go early!!!

1  Thank nikschen

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had three days in a row surf lessons in the morning and it was super.
The trainers did a great job and everything was easy from the admin side.
Also, the side is directly at the beach and easy to reach.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Got our whole family up and surfing within a very short time frame. Great with our kids. They love their job and it shows.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

One thing I really wanted to try was Stand Up Paddleboarding. Maui Wave Riders was close to where we were staying so I signed up for a group lesson. They have a very convenient location right next to the beach and the lesson includes all the equipment you need. I showed up for my group lesson and was excited to find out that I was the only one signed up so I got one on one instruction! My instructor was Andrew... what a great guy. I'm 57 and a complete newby to this and he wasn't condescending in any way. He was very encouraging and after he went over the basics with me on land we hit the beach. He brought the shop dog "Dolly" along with us and she is a great surfer! While out paddleboarding we saw Manta Rays and turtles...very exciting! Although I only signed up for paddleboard Andrew also encouraged me to try surfing so I did both. Had a blast and for sure I will do this again on my next trip to Maui. Highly recommend.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I tried stand up paddleboarding for the first time in Kihei. My instructor was great, made all of us feel at ease no matter what our skill level. There was approximately a 20 minute land lesson then we got into the water. The instructor also made it fun while watching for our safety. I will go back to Maui Wave Riders and try surfing on my new Hawaii trip!