“$20 all day board rentals!”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Owner description: MWR is a family owned and operated business dedicated to providing surfing lessons to each student with a fun, safe and unforgettable surf experience. We adapt our style of teaching to the ability of each student. We will go that extra mile to make your surf experience the most memorable highlight of your vacation!
Fargo, North Dakota
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“$20 all day board rentals!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had done some reviewing online of surfboard rentals while on Maui and found that many had an initial charge with an hourly rate afterwords. The convenient location of Maui Wave Riders made the whole rental process painless. Simply show up, pay your $20 for a surf board or $30 for a paddle board, agree to have it back by three then make your way across the street to a day of surfing. The only complaint was the huge number of people on the water which became annoying at times. The waves seemed to be good for beginners and even a little small the days we were there but still a great deal with hours of fun!

• Korean first
Alappuzha, India
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“very poor instructor”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Hi,

We had called and made reservation for this morning (12/26/12) for 4 kids. We were offered Family plan surf lesson (semi-private) for price of group lesson for 11.30 am lesson. The whole experience was very bad from start to finish. Yes, they do market a lot via ads, free caps, surf certificates, pictures, etc - very targetted to tourists. Now I know why.
When we checked-in, we were told to pay full price and not the discounted price offered. I had to contest and then they agreed. I was surprised for I felt they were just trying to loot us.
Next, they assigned us to instructor JP (calls himself Superman). Our kids constantly complained that they did not like, no instructions or teaching them skills. As we watched he was in water just supervising thats all, not teaching anything. Then, he brought everyone back 30 minutes sooner. It was supposed to be 2 hrs lesson : 11.30am to 1.30am. Infact I was constantly watching my clock every minute. He said we went in sooner and thus we are out soon. This was so not true at all ! I did not want to confront him since they were out of water and kids were not happy.
Then they focused on selling us pictures and such.
Earlier my kids had lessons with Waves Hawaii. They were much more professional and took pains to teach.
Before I made reservation, I saw read reviews and ratings in tripAdvisor. I am very disappointed and surprised. I am not sure if my case happened to be a bad lemon or what.
By experience I sincerely suggest readers to deal with them MWR company with caution.

1 Thank rider_101
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Yay to Keoki and MWR Staff!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My husband and I have zero experience in surfing and were both a little wary of actually making the waves or the thought of encountering some mighty creatures we were sharing the beach with. All was forgotten when we rode the waves and were literally exhilarated and exhausted at the end of the two hour program... all thanks to Keoki! Awesome workout to start the day :-)

One other thing, I actually brought my own wetsuit and left it in the facility. The staff, in particular, Samantha, made sure I was able to get it back. I forgot all about it until we were leaving for the airport. But they shipped it all the way to Cincinnati at no extra charge! My Roxy wetsuit is extra special to me, so thank you guys for the excellent service!!!

Overall, highly recommended, 5 star!

Visited November 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“If we can do it, you can do it.”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I never thought I would go surfing but I did and I actually did it. All 5 of us got up, my 10 year old girl was a pro by the end. Keoki was great with us and very good with the kids. We will go back for sure!

kihei
“So much fun!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My sister and I tried surfing for the very first time with Maui Wave Riders. It was the most fun either of us had on this trip to Maui. I would highly recommend using Maui Wave Riders!