“Excellent Everything”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Owner description: MWR is a family owned and operated business dedicated to providing surfing lessons to each student with a fun, safe and unforgettable surf experience. We adapt our style of teaching to the ability of each student. We will go that extra mile to make your surf experience the most memorable highlight of your vacation!
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I've surfed in a wide variety of places, each with different conditions. Having never surfed reef waves (as opposed to beach waves), I decided to take a lesson from a local school on Maui where I was vacationing.

I chose MWR (Maui Wave Riders) "surf school" after reading a few very positive reviews about them here on TripAdivisor.com. I paid in full and joined a group lesson at 10:00 a.m. As we were only 4 in our group, our pedagogically gifted instructor Todd had plenty of time to give us individual help. The waves near the harbor in Lahaina are small and roll onto shore consistently – so, there's no other waiting than for your turn to be instructed before attempting to master the next wave. Be prepared to share these waves with a bunch of others, though. Especially during the Christmas/New Years holidays.

The equipment included in the lesson (rash guard, booties, softtop board) is of good quality and the staff at MWR are very friendly and helpful. I had a fun learning experience which I contribute to Todd's easy-going, easy-to-follow instructions.

There are newer reviews for Maui Wave Riders

Reviewed December 28, 2011

2 instructors for our family of 5-got everybody up right off the bat! Shallow area 2-4 feet of water. Very rocky but time to figure out how to do what they told you to do. And they have a photographer! Wow. Eat at LouLous afterward

Reviewed December 28, 2011

My friend and I took both paddle boarding (Todd and V-Man) and surfing (Akima) lessons with MWR. The instructors were knowledgeable and fun, patient and considerate to all skill levels. Most of all, they seem to genuinely want you to have a good time and to enjoy the riding the waves. On the morning of our surfing lessons Akima took us to the beach to watch the waves. The assessment: we'd be "whale watching" that day, as he said, there wasn't a lot of action in the water. He said he would take us out if we absolutely had to (i.e. we were leaving the next day) or he offered a no hassle arrangement to come back the next day. We opted for the latter and the surfing lessons were incredible! Akima was firm with this instructions - no messing about in the water - but always gave constructive advice on how to improve on the next ride. Not only was he able to get me, admittedly nervous on the first ride, to stand on the surfboard, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience! No doubt I'll be booking activities with MWR the next time I'm in Maui.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Way too much money for the service which is low budget the whole way. Start late and make up for it by quiting early. Way too crowded, beach too shallow and rocky in south Maui. Next time we will do more research and find a good one. This one reminded me of Mexico, not the USA.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

WOW...My life is complete. MWR in Kihei is fantastic. Everyone is awesome. My family and I had the pleasure to work with Ikaika...what a blessing he is. We ALL were able to stand up on our surf boards the very first wave. He is not only a world-class instructor, but a warm,friendly person. He knows how to have fun and be professional at the same time. We HIGHLY recommend Maui Wareriders in Kihei. The price is a steal for the personal attention and instruction you receive. THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. This is the best Christmas present a mom could receive...surfing with her boys. GOD BLESS!

1  Thank Wendy W