“great instruction for all skill levels”
Review of Maui Wave Riders

Maui Wave Riders
More attraction details
Owner description: MWR is a family owned and operated business dedicated to providing surfing lessons to each student with a fun, safe and unforgettable surf experience. We adapt our style of teaching to the ability of each student. We will go that extra mile to make your surf experience the most memorable highlight of your vacation!
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My friend and I booked a private surf lesson with Maui Wave Riders instructor Todd on our most recent trip to the island. It was my friends first time on a surf board so she was very nervous. She is a Minnesota girl so hasn't spent a lot of time in the ocean so you can imagine some of her fears. I could tell right away that I had chosen a good instructor because Todd was very sensitive to her concerns and made her feel at ease. Not only was she able to get up once but multiple times . She felt like this was the highlight of our trip and I have an excellent instructor to thank for that.

I also had a chance for a little instruction . I'm still a beginner but have been in the water a few more times. I took advantage of the 3 day surf clinic . I was impressed because Todd took the time to analyze one of my biggest trouble spots and find a creative solution to help me improve my skill level . I 've surfed with many surf schools and this is the first time any one has taken the time to do that. I'm happy to say I'm starting to feel more confident with my skills. Thanks so much to Todd and Maui Wave Riders for an outstanding experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Surfing was one of the activities that we were most excited to try in Hawaii. Maui Waveriders were an excellent choice. They provided all of our equipment (shirt, shoes, board) and walked us over to the beach. We started out with some instructions on land, then paddled out together. Our group consisted of 5 people, plus the instructor.

Sonny B was a great instructor. He was firm enough to get you going, but was still hilarious and fun. My wife and I both stood up on our first wave, and rode out all the rest. It was a great time, and I would definitely use them again if I was in the area.

My only complaint is that the beach they use can get pretty crowded. Especially since it's a lesson area, you end up with waves crowded with a bunch of people that don't know how to turn. A few of the people in our lesson group got run into/ran into people.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I had a lesson in my last day in Kihei with Maui Waveriders, which I had booked by phone the day before.
Ina was the instructor, a very funny, easy-going Samoan guy. He was very patient and attentive and at the end of the 2 hour lesson I was able to surf 3 or 4 waves completely.
Price was US$62.5 (tax included) for a 2 hour lesson including the equipment (boots, shirt, surfboard).
I highly recommended Maui Waveriders to everyone that wants to get a taste of surfing.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We had "V" as our instructor, we had met while ziplining the day erlier and had such a great time with him we decided we wanted to try surfing with him as our guide. He told us he would get us up on our first try and he did just that. We started to get tired paddeling out and he told us to relax and towed us out to catch more waves. Best instructor ever!!

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Upon my first trip to Hawaii almost 40 years ago, I wanted to try surfing, but was afraid I'd get hurt. On subsequent trips, I also avoided the decision. Now at 63, I thought it was finally the time--what a regret not to have done it earlier. Sonny was a super instructor and I got up the first time! As he said, it's "95% paddling and 5% posing", so it definitely requires some effort for each time you get to stand on that board for a few minutes--but so worth it! The lesson he gives you on land prepares you for the movements required in the water. A little upper body strength is required for both the paddling and the movement to get you into position for lifting yourself up into the surfing stance. The area where you take the lesson is somewhat shallow but suitably deep enough. All the instructors are very encouraging and they all watch each other's clients so there are numerous eyes on you for safety. A wonderful experience.