“Kayaking and Snorkelling on Maui”
Review of Maui Kayaks

Makena Turtle Town Eco Adventure in Maui
Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Kayaking and Snorkelling on Maui”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I did the 3 hour kayak/snorkel trip from Makena Landing on Maui. I love to kayak but have never mastered snorkelling and was quite nervous about it. Well, after this trip I can say I will definitely snorkel again. We had the best guide - Kale'o - a Hawaiian who snorkelled with us and pointed out lots of things for us to see. He is extremely knowledgeable and not a bad singer! He knows lots of Beatles, Jimmy Buffet, etc. and even sang some Hawaiian for us. Besides the usual pretty fish we saw turtles, rays, and a blacktip shark. For someone who is not a strong kayaker, this trip is perfect. You don't kayak very far and it is a nice, slow easy pace. Thank you Kale'o!!

Next time I am in Maui I'll do the 5 hour trip - kayaking to turtle town and snorkelling there.

PS don't forget to tip your guide!

Visited October 2013
social m, administrator at Maui Kayaks, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your great review! We are really glad you enjoyed your experience with us and that you'll be back! Mahalo.

Seattle, Washington
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Never showed up!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked 2.5 weeks in advance for a kayak/snorkel excursion in Olowalu, Maui. When we arrived, they never showed up! In talking with another operator (Jeremiah from Kelii's Kayak Tours), we learned that they discontinued their Olowalu excursions between our time of booking and when the actual excursion occurred and never bothered to let us know.

Jeremiah and Kelii's Kayak Tours saved the day for us by working with Maui Kayaks to get us transferred to his tour.

My recommendation: Don't book with Maui Kayaks. Book with Kelii's Kayak Tours instead.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Bryce S
MauiKayaks, Manager at Maui Kayaks, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
aloha,

We called you twice before your trip, on the number you provided, and left two messages asking you to call us and in the messages let you know we would be changing locations. We did not hear back from you so could not let you know of the new location. The reason that we have discontinued our Olowalu trip is that recently the state of Hawaii no longer allows tour operators to use the Olowalu location as it is State land that is not available for commercial use. The other companies that are operating from that location are doing so illegally and have been warned and fined for the violation. We are only trying to uphold the laws of our state and are sorry if you did not get our messages trying to relocate you for your trip with us. We strive to be a company that does what is right and as you can see by our many 5 star reviews we do just that.

Sarah
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kayaking and Snorkeling”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I decided to go snorkeling and kayaking the morning of my wedding. It was the best decision made. I had a wonderful time with our guide, John Shappell. I went out with my family and the morning just fell into place. The photos are recommended. I could have never gotten so many photos and videos from my disposable. haha! We love them. A must activity to do! Thanks John!

1 Thank marcella T
social m, Administrator at Maui Kayaks, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank you Marcella for taking the time to give us a review! So glad that you and your family had such a good time with us and on such a special day too. We wish you the very best. Mahalo.
greensboro, nc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic experience!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I just arrived home from a trip to Maui for our 30th wedding anniversary. We did the kayak and snorkeling trip to Honalua Bay and it was absolutey fantastic! James, our guide, was the best! He was very knowledgeable, helpful, encouraging and fun. We were even privileged to have a group of dolphins travel with us to the bay! Snorkeling in the bay was beautiful and great! We highly recommend Maui Kayaks!

1 Thank jancrest
social m, administrator at Maui Kayaks, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! We are glad you had a memorable experience with us and that your guide went that extra mile for you! Mahalo.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Amazing!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was by far the highlight of our trip! Barry made it so enjoyable! He showed us things that you just wouldn't normally see on your average tour! He was very knowledgeable and extremely friendly!! This was an experience we will never forget! If you get a chance ask for Barry! You won't regret it!

1 Thank Mkelley15
social m, administrator at Maui Kayaks, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to give us such a positive review! We pride ourselves on having the best guides on Maui so we value your feedback. Mahalo.