“Fun, respectful, humorous ..... Overall AWESOME!!!!! Ask for Mr.K or Kaleo”
Review of Maui Kayaks

Maui Kayaks
Book In Advance
Makena Turtle Town Eco Adventure in Maui
Ka'anapali Kayak and Snorkel Adventure
Makena Whale Watching and Snorkel
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We started our day at 7am at the Makena Landing/just south of Kihei Town in the Wailea area. This trip is totally worth your time and the money. Kaleo aka Mr. K. Is as local as it gets. He is a real character who has a great knowledge base about Maui sea life and a hands on approach. He actually accompanies you into the water, gave great kayak and snorkeling instruction and was supportive. He strives to point out sea creatures and at times brought sea life to the surface for a closer look and a brief and interesting tutorial. We got to touch about 6 different wondrous creatures. We saw many turtles. But the most memorable moments occurred when an octopus inked and then enveloped a Trigger Fish. So many more stories to tell, all of them good.

On the way back to shore we were even serenaded with Hawaiian song. (not a bad voice either) ; ). We tipped him well as he deserved it and more.

social m, Administrator at Maui Kayaks, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you Deana for your positive review! Our guides are very special and work hard to give you a memorable experience. We hope to see you again! Maholo.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a kayak/snorkel trip, Olowalu excursion at their location at 505 Front Street in Lahaina. We didn't even get back to our car and got a phone call canceling our trip for the following day. The reason given was weather being too rough. There was no forecast of bad weather for at least the next 3 days (that's as far as we looked ahead). I don't know the real reason why this trip was cancelled but as we got the call we were passing one of the many excursion locations and a lovely woman booked us with South Pacific kayaks in just a matter of minutes.

1  Thank nicole0174
MauiKayaks, Owner at Maui Kayaks, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

We are not sure who told you that the trip was cancelled due to bad weather. When you spoke with me, the owner, I apologized for our shop booking a trip for you that was not available that day and offered you another tour location as an option. You thanked me and declined the offer. We are happy that you managed to find a company that could accomodate your wishes and that you had a good time.
aloha,
Maui Kayaks

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were impressed with this company from the very beginning. When I called to schedule a trip, they discouraged me, saying conditions were not great (even though weather and wind seemed just fine). They suggested we wait a few days and try later in our stay. When we did go out with them, it was a great time. Our guide was James, who despite 10+ years in Hawaii had the fresh enthusiasm of a newcomer. Our group was small (just 6 people), and the trip was off Makena Landing. The paddling distance was short, and the emphasis was more on snorkeling. The spots we visited had spectacular coral and decent variety of fish. James was great in providing us plenty of natural history and reef biology without making it feel we were being lectured to. He snorkeled with us and pointed out some of the cool fish and other features of the reef. We saw plenty of turtles. The trip was well timed to avoid the big snorkel boats and winds from later in the day. I especially appreciated how our guide provided guidance, but also let us swim and paddle without overbearing supervision. It made for a wonderfully enjoyable and relaxed experience. We have been on many guided snorkel and paddling trips, and can confidently say that this trip was very well run and expertly staffed.

social m, administrator at Maui Kayaks, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for taking time out to give us such a positive review! We are happy that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend, son (15) and I took this tour yesterday. I'm so glad we did. Or guide James provided us with fun and adventure. He was very knowledgeable about island history and took us to great spots for snorkeling. We got to see underwater caves, tons of different fish, and turtles. Our guide was snorkeling with us and identifying the fish and answering our questions. After the tour we had lunch consisting of sandwiches, chips, macadamia cookies and fresh pineapple.
This was a great value, we were able to snorkel in areas the bigger boats couldn't.I much prefer the smaller group size which provided a more personal enjoyable experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank ChristieinCalifornia

We are happy you enjoyed your Kayaking experience with us, we aim to have satisfied customers. Thank you!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is hands down the best snorkeling/water excursion that I have had in Maui. If you want a guided kayak and snorkeling tour where you are being led through the beautiful waters of Makena by an authentic, island raised, pureblood and funny Hawaiian, this is for you.

After we paddled to our first sight I was apprehensive about getting into the water to snorkel because I figured "been there done that". Our guide Kaleo, or Mr.K, or dat hawaiian guy, told me: "trust me, you have never snorkeled with me as your guide, this is definitely an experience that you are going to want to have. Get your gear on and let's go, it'll be fun!" I said "what the hell," and put my snorkel gear on. I did not regret this at all, and am incredibly appreciative that he convinced me to be part of the tour.

Let me start by asking; what kayak company gets in the water with you for a guided snorkeling tour??? It appears that it's nobody except Maui Kayaks.

I assumed that Kaleo would stay in the kayak while everyone swam around and haphazardly tried to identify the marine life on their own. I was wrong. Kaleo led us on a guided snorkel tour where we learned that he has a sixth sense for marine life and an incredible passion for the ocean and all the wonderful snacks in it. He was able to speak about everything we spotted and he dove down to bring up several creatures for us to hold or touch; the best creature was an octopus that caused my cousin to scream her lungs out. Octopi have very sticky kisses.

The best part of trip is the fact that Kaleo is insane, it's a good insane. He said at the beginning of the trip "there are a few caves with sharks, and I'll try to drag them out if we run into them." Everyone laughed and was like "sure". Towards the end of our excursion, he dove into a cave and noticed a shark. He came right back up to the surface and told us to keep our eyes fixed on him. He then proceeded to dive into the cave and convince a 6 foot white tipped shark to make an appearance; or as he asked us to report on tripadvisor; a 10 foot, great white... tipped shark.

Please understand that none of these animals were harmed or ever put in danger... Except for the octopus that Kaleo nearly swallowed.

We were able to see "17" turtles, a variety of fish, starfish, eels, octopi, white tipped sharks (and a baby shark), sea cucumbers, and all of the typical critters attached to the coral formations; we also were able to hear the hawaiian names for all said creatures which was a nice touch. We were able to touch an octopus, sea cucumber, star fish and a few other critters.

If you book a kayak trip, or a snorkel excursion, this is the one. Molokini is an awesome place to visit, but it pales in comparison to this guided tour with a team that has an incredible passion for what they do. Don't think about it, do it. Ask for Kaleo to be your tour guide, you will not regret it. He is a wealth of information and is truly passionate about what he does. This isn't a job to him, it's a life choice. You can't buy that kind of commitment and passion, and you sure as heck won't find that with tour guides who are more interested in earning tips rather than sharing their knowledge.

Take the AM excursion, the ocean is much calmer. Wear swimming clothes. Make sure you have sun block applied, unless you want to get burned. Leave your valuables in the hotel, everything you take with you WILL get wet. Your guide will more than likely have a water proof bag, but don't ask to stash your bulky items in it; it's not that big of a bag, and you should really only need to stash your wallet, keys and possibly, your phone. Also, we drove from Ka'anapali to Makena and it took roughly an hour to get there, so if you're coming from upper west side, definitely leave at 6AM for the 7AM check-in.

Thanks for the great time, Maui Kayaks and Mr. Haleakala!

Thank you so much for your wonderfully positive and detailed revue! Its makes us very happy to know that our guides are everything we hope they would be! Maholo!