“They must have been in a different Maui Schooner...”

Maui Schooner Resort
Ranked #11 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Southern California
“They must have been in a different Maui Schooner...”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We exchanged through Interval, and were very nervous when we read the negative reviews of this place. We thought that we were going to be trapped in a filthy dump for a week. I don't know where those people stayed, but it must have been a different Maui Schooner than where we just spent the last week. Where we stayed was fabulous.

The Maui Schooner is clean and pristine, with meticulously kept grounds, and one of the best-equipped kitchens I've ever seen in a timeshare (pizza pan and muffin tin!). Our room overlooked the pool, and, every day, the staff spent a lot of time cleaning and testing the pool and hot tub. Both were immaculate. Always.

The units are a bit small, but they don't feel cramped, and, again, are incredibly clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They also have beach chairs and a cooler in every unit, and keep mats and other beach items in the storage room for use. Most importantly, we were never hassled by timeshare come-ons.

The resort is located in quiet and quirky Kihei, close to the best beach (Big Beach), the best breakfast (Kihei Cafe), and the best shave ice (the stand next to Cafe O'Lei). It's also within easy shot of the best snorkel boat (Trilogy) in Lahaina. Don't forget the boiled peanuts at the Olowalu General Store!

Also, the beds were the first we've encountered that didn't kill our backs. We have a memory-foam bed, and are always scared to sleep on other beds. No worries with the Schooner's. Very comfortable.

Room Tip: Be polite.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank thebionicbroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We used an Interval International timeshare week, trading a Marriott one bedroom unit at Shadow Ridge, Palm Desert for a one bedroom at Maui Schooner. We had our doubts about the age of the property and location in Kihei (we are familiar with Ka'anapali) but the dates were convenient. This is not a high-end property – maybe 3 star if you feel generous about the grounds.
The unit was dark, with old-fashioned low end Hawaii decor - think ugly pineapple fabric sofa, cheap whitewashed wicker, older style TVs. We did get internet. Bedroom - comfortable king-size bed but not much room to walk about. Washer and dryer adequate + lawn chairs if needed and a cooler.
Bathroom: miserable. It had only a shower, washbasin and toilet. Cheap thin towels, and no toiletries - I had to buy Dove soap.
Kitchen: tile counter and faded woodwork, basic thick white crockery and cutlery, cheap old dented appliances and a dishwasher with broken door that fell down every time I opened it + the bottom rack wheels kept falling off inner groove.
Staff was always pleasant, the grounds are mature landscaping and gardeners are busy keeping it nice. We were on ground floor ten steps from the screened pool; it was small but adequate unless a noisy family took it over. People passing our patio and at the pool were always pleasant and courteous. You can walk from the back of the property to a huge green area and the ocean - great for watching sunset. Beach there is not the nicest sand - some seaweed - and we just walked or watched sunset.
We would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MargaretE01
Henderson, Nevada, USA
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We have stayed at the Maui Schooner many times over the years (Oct 2011 will be our 36th trip I believe) and have been very satisfied. However we're not High Rollers and exchange our Time Share at Ridge Tahoe for a week here. The roosters across Kihei Road make sure you get up early to enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Reserve It Early
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vmspecht
California
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I signed up with SFX though my Grand Mayan Resorts. The reason I did so was their brouchure stated Quality and Higher Standards. I gave them a week of my Grand Mayan and put in a search for Maui in the at the first date allowed. They gave me Maui Schooner for end of March 2011. I called the resort several times to request an ocean view. They said they would try.
The front desk and check in was great-but,they had NO ammenities. No maid service-no mid week clean,no shampoo etc. only small bars of soap in bathroom. No towel exchange during week-if you wanted clean towels you had to was yourself. No restaurant or snack bar-no grocery store close by. Hot tub not working. My air kept shutting off-had to call maintence several times. The loft at the main bedroom left no privacy-the back bedroom was close to Hwy-no air-only a celing fan & an occelating fan. I couldn't sleep in a 77 degree bedroom so I slept on sofa bed with my granddaughter-at least for sofa beds it was OK. The lanai was nice but if you wanted to sit out side and the air was on you had hot air blowing on you,
I could go on & on. I called SFX to lodge my complaint and they gave me extra points and years-I just wanted my club membership reiumbursed.

Room Tip: Don't go here if you want ammenities
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank BeniciaChris
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Maui Schooner for 2 weeks 3-6-11 to 3-20-11 for a belated honeymoon. The first week we stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath (room B303.) It had 1 bedroom and a loft with a bed. The room was clean and had everything down to an ice chest and beach chairs. And it was well air conditioned. We liked the 2 bedroom because it was spacious and had 2 baths so we could both get ready at the same time. Ideally it would fit 4 people but the front desk said it could fit 6 (with a pull out couch). It had a small washer and drier not ideal for a large family staying for an extended period of time. If you wanted to watch TV downstairs you could hear it upstairs and vice versa. It was a battle to hear what you were watching because you could hear what the other person was watching at the same time. If you were staying in the loft you could hear everything that was going on downstairs, so much for sleeping in. After the first week we had to switch rooms, not so great with a condo verses a hotel when all you had was luggage and a condo you have food, drinks ect. We really liked the 2 bedroom.

The second week we stayed in a 1 bedroom 1 bath. Room B111. It was also clean but not as spacious. Because we were on the first floor it was VERY noisy. People were loud when walking past our room and every time our neighbor across the hall closed the door, we could hear it. The bedroom was NOT air conditioned. It had a ceiling fan and floor fan. It did get pretty warm. I liked the fact that if you wanted to cook, you had all of the tools to do so and also save money by staying in. I didn’t like that we had to wash all bath and beach towels, it would have been nice to have fresh beach/bath towels everyday.

If you want to do any activities (dinner cruise, snorkel trip) make sure you see Judy in the lobby, she booked all of our activities and save you money at the same time. If you go on a snorkel trip, I recommend Safari Boat Excursions with Captain Dave, we had the most fun, exciting snorkel adventure. We saw shipwrecks, dolphins, caves and beautiful fish!

Basically, I would stay again and recommend it. It was clean, comfy, close to beaches and shopping and the staff was nice and helpful.

Pros: Clean, Well stocked with utensils/bake ware, Nice view, comfy beds, provided beach towels, ice chest and beach chairs.

Cons: Noisy, flat Pillows, had to wash towels, had to switch rooms, no air conditioning in bedroom, didn’t have a swimming beach

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JBear2
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 26, 2011

OK, I always like to start with the good. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The location is good. The ammenities in the room were good. I would stay there again.

The property is dated. The rooms are very 1970's but clean. There are washer, dryer, dishwasher, wi-fi internet and TVs in the rooms. They must have recently put new stuff in the kitchens because the knives were very sharp and easy to cook with and the pots and pans with Celephan. I found it a bit funny that the property advertises that it's a 5 star resort. It's not. it's 2.5 or 3 on a good day. I traded into this property from a Lake Tahoe resort and was happy with the trade. I also didn't experience the noise problems others had written about. The only noise I head was a rooster "crowing" in the morning and he wasn't that loud that he would have awoke me or annoyed me.

The rooms come with beach chairs, and a beach cooler along with beach towles you could take to the beach. I would have been really happy if they would have supplied a beach umbrella. You can't sit on the beach in Hawaii without one. They have some cock-n-bull story about liability issues with the umbrellas. I wonder if they have ever head of a HOLD HARMLESS waiver. You'll need to buy one or if you're one of the lucky ones you might get one of their "extra" umbrellas they have in the luggage room. Good luck on that one.
If you need FAST high speed internet, they probably won't be able to deliver. It's faster then 3G but has it's slow moments.

All in all, I had a fun week and as I said I would probably return there. I do wish their 10AM checkout time had a bit of flexability to it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Josh B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2010

While the rooms themselves were comfortable enough, the noise in the early mornings was unbearable. Cleaning staff were roaming the halls before 8:30am with their walkie-talkies blaring with absolutely no regard for guests. Leaf blowing and noisy landscape work started regularly before 9am and one morning they were doing some kind of drilling in the unit next to us before 8am! Cleanliness was also questionable as we had to vacate the unit one morning before 9am so they could fumigate for insects. I thought it was odd that they didn't wait until we checked out but were more than willing to inconvenience us by asking us to leave. I would advise against staying here if you like to sleep in.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank E_Hawk53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Mana Kai Maui
#5 of 62 in Kihei
Kohea Kai Resort Maui,
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Been to Maui Schooner Resort? Share your experiences!