All reviews sugar beach the kitchen other guests water play friendly management small condo complex loft upstairs tourist activities abc store fresh pineapple haleakala national park oceanfront unit these condos minutes from the airport view of the ocean an easy drive parking lot
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed in unit A6 and had a great time in Maui. The biggest pro of the condo complex was the great beach. It was perfect for for swimming and walking. Our unit was clean, spacious VERY well stocked with kitchen supplies, boogie boards and towels. The owner, Elen, was extremely helpful and responsive to questions about the island. We enjoyed that the condo was centrally located, so we could easily drive to a variety of beaches and mountains. It was perfect for touring the island.

We traveled with our 3-month old son. While the condo was very family friendly, it was an older crowd the week we visited. The biggest con was the very busy road in front that did not allow for good stroller walking options.

Overall, the kihei sands was a great value and wonderful beach location. If you want to walk to bars or restaurants, I would look further south in Kihei. If you want a quiet beach, this is perfect! I recommend A6, because of the friendly owner and well stocked kitchen. It does not have a direct beach view.

Pros -
Owner of A6 is the most helpful person we have ever rented from - she was super helpful and answered all of our questions very quickly.
The unit was really clean.
Lovely, walkable beach that is shielded from the wind and sandy to swim
Great value!
Central location that is easy to drive anywhere on the island

Cons -
Too far to walk to the bars, restaurants and activities of S. Kihei
Right on a main highway, so not a good place to walk strollers
The pool is small and cold
Older crowd of guests. They were very friendly and loved seeing our young son, but it was definitely not a youthful complex
The condo was loud a few nights - we did not complain, but others did and the the property managers were very nice and handled the situation quickly

Room Tip: A6 was clean, well stocked and the owner is awesome!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alison D
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I live in California and have travelled to Hawaii for vacations at least a dozen times. I've been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai, each several times. Most of the times I've rented a place through VRBO.com and have generally been really pleased. I found a unit in Kihei Sands that looked pretty interesting on VRBO.com, and booked 5 nights to go with my fiance.

Oh
My
God

First, let me just say that this place is sandwiched between the beach and a busy highway. Not one of the nicer places on the island. The bay is calm, but it's just not nearly as nice as further north near Lahaina, or Napili, or south towards Wailea. Not nearly as nice.

Then you get into the unit. I was shocked at how run down and poorly kept it was. It was DIRTY. As in filthy. Hopefully you'll be able to see the pictures I upload. Again, I've stayed in several VRBO condos and cottages, and I know that these are often older places, with decor and furniture that's seen a little wear and tear. But this place was unacceptable. I didn't want to sit on any of the furniture. The baseboards were covered in dust. The bathroom was not clean. I'm NOT a neat freak, but it was really bad.

Then, look out the window. Directly into a parking lot of the huge condo building next door. And some crappy things left in the yard by the neighbor / manager. It was depressing. So much so that even though I spent $1200 on 5 nights, we left after one night, and stayed in Napili. The gladly gave up $1000 to avoid spending 4 more nights here.

We did that even though we were supposed to move to the ocean front unit, directly on the water. It's just a dumpy place. Depressing.

Take a look at the pics. They are worth 1000 words.

So incredibly disappointed.

I cannot believe that this place got 4.5 stars. My fiance and I spent a lot of time talking about how this place could possibly get decent reviews.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
mgrkihei, Manager at Kihei Sands Beachfront Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for looking at the responses on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, this one requires more explaination. Recent construction of a new office at Kihei Sands did leave the yard outside the unit uneven and in need of attention therefore the orange cone was placed to warn of the uneven grounds. Since occupancy was in February in the heart of busy season, there has been no opportunity to make the necessary repairs. As for the condition of the unit A13, be sure to contact me for pictures of the unit because it is a lovely unit in so many ways. Taking a picture inside the owner's closet was not necessary as it is really not part of the guest portion of the unit. It is left unlocked as the electrical box is inside. The guests told me they have stayed in Napili and really like that area. At no time did they express a distaste for the unit. They did ask for their monies back knowing that a refund is not given within 60 days of the arrival date. I let them know if it was able to be re-rented a refund would be given. They did receive back the cleaning deposit for the ocean front unit that was not used.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed in Unit B14 during our recent trip to Maui. The complex itself is wonderful. Quite small and quiet. Perfect for a relaxing vacation. The pool area and patio were excellent, as well as the access to the beach. Unit B14 itself was in very poor condition. Very dated and in need of major renovations. The bathtub on the main floor was rusting (Yuck). Our friends stayed in a 3 bedroom unit which was renovated 5 years ago and was very nice. It would have been nice when we made reservations that we were told of the condition of our unit. I feel that the price to rent the unit should be much less then the other, much nicer units. We will definitely stay at Kihei Sands again but definitely not in Unit B14 again.

Room Tip: Definitely do not stay in Unit B14, but many of the other units were lovely. When you call to make reservations ask Maureen if the unit has been recently renovated
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for the review written for unit B14 at Kihei Sands. They are correct the unit is in need of a full remodel. The owners have ordered their new kitchen and other items. A total remodel of the unit will start in April and should be finished in June complete with all new funiture. It will be like new. Feel free at any time for any of the units to ask for pictures.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed in 3 units over our week stay here (we booked pretty last minute and the manager was great about fitting us into the vacancies - we knew we wanted to stay here and were willing to deal with the moves. Units B13 and B6 were quite dated but B9 where we stayed the last night was really nicely renovated and had a spectacular view over the beach. One thing to bear in mind with the B-level units is that the master bedroom is an open concept loft so any kids sleeping up there (as our baby did in the playpen) can hear and see everything going on in the living/dining/kitchen. The best thing about this small complex is the proximity to the beach and pool. With 3 kids under the age of 6 we didn't want to have to pack all our beach things up every morning and Kihei Sands enabled us to wake up, have breakfast and step right out onto the beach or into the pool. The beach stretches for a long ways so we took nice walks up and down (mainly to get Shave Ice beside the farmer's market - so good!).The waves are quite gentle, but when the trade winds came up late afternoon the waves were perfect for our 6 year old to boogie board. We bbq-ed on the patio nearly every night and met a lot of lovely people since it was such a small complex. We would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level (B) and facing south have the best view of the ocean. Those on the north side mostly face the parking lot next door but still have a peak of the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
mgrkihei, Front Office Manager at Kihei Sands Beachfront Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your comments about Kihei Sands. It is a great place. Be sure to come back when you can. Maureen

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My family and I stayed in unit A3 and thoroughly enjoyed it!!!!

The managers were very welcoming. The unit was clean and ready for us. We were so surprised to see the pool deck and beach steps off the patio. It was breathtaking! The beach felt like it was our own private oasis.

The location of the condos was central & quiet. There are not too many units, which made it easy for parking and gave it a family environment.

We cannot wait to come back!

Room Tip: Unit A3 is a newer remodeled unit with nice furnishings and A VERY COMFORTABLE KING BED!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank youngmomtraveler
mgrkihei, Manager at Kihei Sands Beachfront Condominiums, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for vacationing in Maui and for choosing and enjoying Kihei Sands as your accommodations. We enjoyed having you stay at Kihei Sands. Come again when you can. Tell your friends.