“Wonderful ride”
Review of Makena Stables

Makena Stables
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We took the sunset ride, and really enjoyed it. The horses were very well cared for and the guide was excellent. the views from the beach to the lava dome were great, and snacks and drinks were provided at the top. It was a nice adventure to see a part of the island that many people miss.

2  Thank clwinfield

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The morning tour took us through La Perouse Bay and up the hill to the "oven" crater. The horses were well-kept and tame, and the guides were very patient, knowledgeable and professional. I've only rode once and was relatively nervous, but the guides were helpful and patient in instructing and giving riding tips.

2  Thank Wei Shi T
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was an awesome ride! It was such a beautiful ride and day out! I loved it, it was so much fun! I can't wait till the next trip back to Maui to go again.

2  Thank frank m
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We started the journey by driving through a state park filled with huge lava fields that looked like MARS to me. I recommend leaving an hour or two early for the sunset ride (starts at 3:30 pm) so that you have time to hop out at one of the beaches you pass on the way or to explore the lava fields in the state park.

Our tour guide Christine was so happy, friendly, and knowledgeable. We toured through lava fields, isolated beaches with mixed lava/coral boulders, saw wild goats and deer roaming the volcano, climbed to the top of one of the most recent lava vents to see what I thought was intriguing lava formations, and I loved my gentle horse Akahi. My wife and I are "beginner" level horse riders and we never felt frightened or in danger. It's obvious that the workers love their horses and nature...it's not just a tourist trap. Thank you Makena stables!! 5 stars.

5  Thank TexasDillon
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We went on the sunset ride on our trip to Maui this January. It was a great ride that was longer than the typical hour long circle (ride was aprox. 3 hours). The staff is friendly and knowledgable about the island and the horses are very well-cared for and behaved. They provide new helmets as well as drinks and snacks to take along during the ride. I would definitely recommend this ride to someone looking to go horseback riding in Maui. Makena is also a great area to visit so you could spend the day there exploring the beaches before or after your ride. One note is that the ride is mostly walk with some trotting, so if you are looking for a faster paced trail ride this is not for you.

5  Thank cah234