“Quiet and interesting.”

Makena Stables
Portland, Oregon
“Quiet and interesting.”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Most interesting terrain our family has ever ridden on horseback. Our guides were very professional and the views of South Maui were spectacular, especially from the break spot on the volcano crater. Horses are well cared for.

Visited December 2011

Lake Mary, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fabulous time, wonderful guides!”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I had read an article in the Orlando Sentinel describing Mckena Stables and the great time the writer had there. We decided to try it when we were in Maui a couple of weeks ago and are we glad we did. These are not your average trail horses or your average guides. We made our arrangements with Christine, by phone, prior to our trip to Hawaii and drove a little more than an hour from Kapalua to find this treat at the "end of the road". After being measured for our horses and given thorough instructions, we were off for our 3 hour morning ride. We rode through wooded terrain, along the shore, and up lava hills to a breathtaking view of the south side of Haleakala. Stopped at the top of the trail for snacks, drinks, and great photo ops, then began the ride back to the stables which was as impressive as the ride up. This was one of the highlights of our two week stay on the Islands. Even if you are a beginner you will be welcomed by Pat, the owner and Christine and her assistant guide, Erica (I think her name was) and made to feel very comfortable on these wonderful horses. Thanks to all who made this a memorable event.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank Peggy M
NJ
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Best Sunset horseback riding experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

4.5 Stars - My family & I did the Makena Stable's Sunset tour & we had a terrific time. Christine was our guide/safety instructor. She was knowledgeable, very attentive to everyone's needs and safety. We trekked thru parts of the picturesque La Perouse Bay and up the rugged & contrasting landscapes of the Ulupalakua ranch to see the beautiful sunset. Definitely worth the $$$$. There are few things to note: better ask for the directions before heading out to the stable (no cell signals around the area); wear loose long pants & shoes; borrow the free helmet (tall person a must); expect parts of the route to be very dusty (they provided us with bandanas -- we felt liked being the Old west cowboys!) -- expect the 5th& 6th riders to be the dustiest); there is an age restriction for younger kid; if you are a first timer, you would not believe how often the horses have to do their 'things' during the entire trip; if you have the time, stop by & explore the Ahihi-Kina'u Preserve/La Perouse Bay before going on the sunset tour. take lots of pictures & Aloha

Visited August 2011
5 Thank jafojaz
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful stables. Great rides, great guides, GREAT horses!”
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We had the "luck" to get to ride at Makena stables twice on our recent trip to Maui. The first time, we had a private sunset tour booked, which was cut short less than an hour in, because of a thunder storm! They reimbursed us part of our money, and we were able to rebook a group tour (which was only us and one other woman) for later in the week. We consider ourselves very lucky to have been able to ride here twice!
The stables looks like, a stable. The horses and guides also compete in local rodeos, so these are NOT your average nose to tail trail horses. These guys can think for themselves, and are amazingly well trained. My husband and I rode Harrison and Kalikoa, both the most responsive horses we have ever ridden. Our guide Christine was full of history of the Ulupalakua ranch and area, as well as just some funny stories. She was very helpful when I got in a bit of a situation I was uncomfortable in, and just overall made sure we had a fabulous time.
I can't say enough about how peaceful and relaxed this place is. This is the type of outfit you go to for an authentic laid back trail ride where you want to feel the connection with you and a horse and you and the land. We could have stayed chatting with Christine, and owner Pat all night long - even in the thunder storms!
Overall, this is a top notch place to go for a wonderful trail ride. You'll be given an amazing horse, and you'll have an even more amazing experience!

Visited May 2011
4 Thank julia_andy09
Kihei, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth it on all levels.”
Reviewed December 19, 2010

This is small operation but that is what makes it special. The four people that work there are horse lovers first and business people second. The owner's moto - "I work hard so my horses can have a better life". Isn't that great? The only disadvantages I found was that there is no office person there so I suggest when calling leave a message and when either the owner or the wrangler come in on break they will return your call. Oh the other great thing is not only are there beautiful horses there but also goats, chickens, and a really comical dog! My tip: There is premier snorkeling near the ranch so bring swim suits and snorkel gear of you can.

2 Thank fahrenheit17rp

Been to Makena Stables? Share your experiences!