“Simply wonderful!”

Ranked #46 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
fairbanks, alaska
“Simply wonderful!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I hesitate to even write this review for fear of this complex becoming even more popular than it already is. This is my husband and my 3rd year staying at Punahoa. There are about 14 condos in the building, which is right on the ocean. It is located on a short side road, eliminating the noise from South Kihei Rd. We can spend hours on our quiet lanai enjoying the sound of the ocean, snorkel right in front of the condo, or walk a block or 2 to our favorite coffee shop. There is no pool, but with the ocean right there, this is not a problem for us. The steps down to the beach might be difficult for those with accessibility issues. The new manager, Holly, is very friendly and helpful. We are already hoping and planning to return next year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank greenwoods50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We found this place via VRBO and got an amazing deal! We were in town for a wedding s needed to be in Kihei and this place did not disappoint! Penthouse with air conditioning, massive terrace, lovely views, granite in the kitchen... A great week in paradise that was close to everything. Parking can be a bit tight, but never had an issue parking our Jeep. Would definitely recommend this place...snorkeled with turtles just off the beach, beatiful sunsets and palms swaying in the breeze...

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PhilipFiona
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Loved our unit top floor 403, huge balcony, beautiful sunsets and great views. Apartment was well presented, had everything we needed, stayed 2 weeks. Loved being able to get up and walk straight out into the water and snorkel with the turtles and beautiful fish. We would be back for sure.

Room Tip: Our room didn't have an aircon but we didn't need it, we were glad we picked the top floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WendyH883L
Montreal
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Very nice place. Our unit (#201 I think) was full of useful things (cooler, ice packs, beach chairs, beach towels, condiment, etc). There is a very nice common area patio with a beautiful view where we ended-up dining every night with the sunset in front of us. We had originally planned to go to restaurants more often but with such a view ... cooking was not a problem. You have access to a BBQ.

Although the cleaning crew had forgotten stuff in our room (nothing gross ... just mops, soap etc) and the beds were not made (the sheets were clean but not on the beds); they compensated us for this human mistake so it ended-up really not being a problem.

Terry the GM is very nice and like I said before, very comprehensive.

Great location and next to a huge park and a public beach where beginners (like us) could take surfing lessons (probably the best spot on the island to learn surfing)

I recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Simon L
Oklahoma City
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Kihei is a good central location and has nice beaches. The Punahoa is on a quiet street and the property is well maintained. There is a very nice common area patio with a beautiful view and the beach just outside your door is really pretty. Wear swim shoes and watch for rocks. The condo we stayed in was 201 and it's really nice.

Room Tip: No a/c in 201
2 Thank LisaGOklahomaCity
Maui
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am conflicted about writing this review: part of me wants to keep this place my own little secret, but I also want to commend the owners and the staff on the property and overall great service.

I began researching VRBOs months ago. Having stayed at one of the large hotels a couple of years before, I wanted to have a little more flexibility for my family when it came to meals, planning activities, or just being able to do nothing if we chose. As is my nature, I wanted to find every piece of information I could on a property before making a decision. (Thus explaining why it took months to make a decision.) When I finally found the Punahoa Beach Apartments, I read every piece of information I could find, and every review available.

When I finally made the call, the transaction was as easy as a virtual handshake. The staff was so friendly, and must have noted the anxiety in my voice and assured me that this vacation would be like none other.

True to their word, I arrived, picked up my keys, and proceeded to my room. When I stepped into the living room, both my bags and my chin hit the floor: for as far as the eye could see, from every angle in the room, all I could see was cobalt blue surf. I opened the sliding glass windows, and all I could here was the sound of the surf, and I felt the warm gentle breeze. Pictures will not do this property justice.

At the base of the property are gentle tidepools, which were just right for my 5-year old, who is a beginning swimmer, to swim and explore. Immediately next to the tidepools is a cove, which functioned as my family's private beach. The surf there is gentle enough that beginning paddle boarders used it to practice for hours. My 8-year old spent the majority of the vacation on her boogie board there for hours and hours. Although we visited other beaches and did some sightseeing, the majority of our time was spent soaking up the sun in our own front yard. Since everything we needed was steps away, and we could choose to do, or not do, whatever we wanted when we wanted, it was the most relaxing vacation my family and I have had, ever.

And the evenings.... Imagine having stress-free bedtimes. After soaking up the sun all day, the sound of the surf and the gentle breezes lulled the kids to sleep without protest.

There are three supermarkets, as well as other markets, shops, and restaurants within a mile, so pretty much everything you need is easy to get. All you really need to bring are your clothes and the need to relax.

The staff here is excellent. They are there for you when you need them, but are respectful of your privacy. They have great advice on things to do, tips on local shopping, and local attractions. Will help you plan your day, or routes if you need it. But most of all, they are just nice, helpful, really good folks.

My family and I plan on becoming regulars.

Room Tip: All of the units have incredible views (we peeked while housekeeping cleaned other units). However...
6 Thank Durrell B
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The reviews are right. We spent a week in #302 and were very pleased with the location, the view, the way it was supplied, the comfort and the cleanliness. My wife preferred the sleep sofa so she could hear the ocean all night. We both marveled at the view of the moon glistening on the ocean amid the rocks and palm trees. During the day we saw surfers, swimmers, walkers, many with dogs and a view of the Molokini crater.

A very short walk will get you to plenty of places to eat and shop and to other beaches with equipment rental and activity facilities.

I am an A/C lover and became uncomfortable a couple of times when the wind was not blowing but even the very helpful, on-site unit owners could not help with that. One family in our party stayed in one of the few 2-bedroom units in which the cross breeze was so phenomenal that a floor lamp was chained to the bookcase to keep it from blowing over.

The reviews are right. Punahoa is a well-run, well-maintained and well-priced place to stay.

Room Tip: #302 was attractive and seemed to be better supplied with linens and kitchen items. The king bed was...
3 Thank RinORL