“Perfect location!”
Review of Nona Lani Cottages

Nona Lani Cottages
Ranked #15 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We recently stayed a week at the cottages. They were perfect. The location couldn't have been better with nearly your own private beach just 50 feet away. The cottages were nice and comfortable. Last time we stayed in Maui we did the condo thing, this was much better. Beautiful landscape gardens and outdoor BBQ pits for cooking meals.
Thanks for a great time! We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We recently traveled to Maui for our first visit to the island and we wanted a self catering, central location. Nona Lani was the perfect base camp. If you are the Ritz-Carlton type, this place isn't for you. If you are more focused on value for the money, a family run business, with all of the essentials you need for a self-sufficient stay, then Nona Lani is absolutely perfect! Our cottage provided us with everything we needed for the perfect local Maui experience. We utilized the BBQ (charcoal) grills almost every night. The kitchen was well equiped to prepare virtually any kind of meal we desired. The bathroom was clean and hot water was abundant. The living room and bedroom area was well maintained. To be sure, the furniture and furnishings are a bit dated, however, that is all part of the charm of the cotttages. Barbara and her family were friendly and provided many helpful suggestions for local activities and places to go. The grounds around the cottages are well maintained and beautifully landscaped. When you arrive be sure to stock up on your provisions at the Times Market, a couple miles past the cottages on your right. We will definitely stay at Nona Lani for our future Maui visits. Thank you for a wonderful visit! - John & Hazel

Room Tip: The cotttages are located on the main beach road in Kihei. Some reviewers have complained about the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We could not have chosen a better place for our vacation. The grounds are covered in beautiful flowering trees and fruits. The cottages are quaint separate bungalows with a nice beach across the street and shops & restaurants nearby. However, we chose to buy our own groceries, and spent every evening making our own dinner on one of the outdoor grills underneath the colorful lights strung in the trees. At night, you can really see the stars and hear the ocean without all the noise/light pollution here. We highly recommend the cottages to any travelers looking to stay away from giant resorts.

Room Tip: We recommend a garden cottage rather than an ocean view cottage-- the garden cottages are tucked awa...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheTravelingEllinors
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Good price, fantastic location, beach a hop away, no driving necessary. Our rate was $120 and the room was perfect for our family of three. Clean, charming and the staff couldn't be nicer. Close to everything but a faraway feeling. We found the experience better than staying in a high end resort. Since we were out most of the day it was nice to come back for a home-cooked dinner and walk on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I would recommend Nona lani highly! Cottage 7 was clean and spacious. It was very centrally located to Maui attractions and had a beautiful beach right across the street. This would not be good for someone who likes large commercial hotels with lots of ammenities. It is quiet and personal.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Amandamaui
Reviewed August 29, 2011

First before I even showed up I paid 135 per night. After I booked the prices went dow to 99 per night. When I called to ask about the reduced rate they would not match the price/issue a refund.

When I arrived I was told I could choose my room. They gave me two keys. When I went to look at one of the rooms it was occupied and the laptop was sitting in the kitchen. Anyone with a key could have taken it. I looked at the 4 ocean front cottages- 2 being the worst.

I stayed in cottage 3. The day I arrived the key got stuck in the door. I called 3 times and they didn't answer. I showed up at the office and barbara stated they were having a family meeting. She came over and fixed the door, if that is what you call it. She sent her husband over that night to fix it and he didn't have the tools he needed so he said he would come back the next day. I am here alone and the door is not secure.

Next day I leave the cottage at 5am...get back at 1:30pm to find tools on the balcony. I could not get in the cottage so I called the office and explained that I was outside trying to get in. Barbara put me on the phone with her husband (the guy fixing my door) and he said he was on his way over. I sat outside for nearly 10 minutes and he showed up. He let's me in the cottage and I go into the room to find the AC had been turned off. I left it on because it gets hot in the cottage. I turned it back on.

It has been 20 minutes and he is still fixing the door. I went on the 4 hour snorkel tour, got sea sick, and need to eat and rest, but I can't because he is here. I also did not give anyone permission to go into the bedroom and turn AC. I really want to turn everything in the cottage
24/7 and get my money worth.

The grounds are nice, cottage is not spotless but it is good enough. I would never stay here again for the price I paid. I could have bidded for the hyatt on priceline for half the cost....I would not reccommend.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank steveoslvr
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The cottages we excellent. The owners and staff at Nona Lani were so accomodating. We arrived late, they were prepared for our arrival with our room all set and the keys waiting for us, just as they promise months prior. Rates were very reasonable location was perfect for us. away from the really busy touristy areas but a quick enough drive to everything. the beach was lovely - not as nice for swiming but lovely for walking along - which we did everymorning. the farmer's marketing is open m-f right down the street and the kitchenettes are fully stocked. Beds were very comfortable. We even enjoyed the company of our resident baby gecko. If you are used to posh hotels and room service - this is not hte place for you. If you like a cottage setting that laid back and casual - the Nona Lani Cottages are perfect!

Room Tip: We loved cottage number 4 - up front ocean view ;)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple