“Great Value for Maui”

Maui Coast Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kihei
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed April 25, 2005

Just got back from eight days in Maui, staying at the Maui Coast Hotel. My wife and I decided to stay here over a condo due mainly in part to the opinions of others on this site. We were not disappointed. The rooms were always clean and comfortable and the free internet access let us keep in touch with friends and family back home without expensive long distance calls. The staff was very polite and easy to deal with. And we found no bugs in our room (which seems to be a rarity in Maui hotel rooms). The Kihei location was near shopping, beaches, and easy access to the major highway to other parts of Maui. We really enjoyed the Tradewinds Pool Bar-the gentleman singing and playing the guitar added a nice touch to the evenings. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Maui.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,180)

Reviewed April 4, 2005

We just returned from a stay at the Maui Coast Hotel and it was excellent! Located across the street from the beach, walking distance to lots of shops and restaurants. Great pool, with poolside restaurant and bar. Good Happy Hour drinks and prices! Live poolside entertainment nightly 6-9 pm. I hope I get to stay there again soon!

8  Thank ziggy1960
Reviewed March 17, 2005

Maui Coast is an excellent place to stay in a central area of Kihei. Great service, very clean rooms and common areas. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Excellent maid service. Internet access in the lobby for the always-wired. Situated within walking distance of beaches, shops and supermarkets but away from the expanse of 31. Kihei Road can get busy if you're in a car, but it's an excellent place to walk or run. Not a beachfront hotel, which was perfectly fine for us, as we like to get out of the hotel and explore. Hotel's restaurant/bar seemed to close early, as did the poolside cantina. Kind of a bummer if you want to grab a quick nightcap on the way home, but not really a big problem as many Kihei eateries and bars are very close and have parking for those tied to their cars. Despite the proximity to lots of activities and Kihei Road, the hotel is very peaceful and the lanais face bird-filled trees and patches of greenery.

13  Thank RunwiththisMama
Reviewed February 25, 2005

We just returned from our Maui vacation 2/14/05 - 2/24/05. The two things I liked best about this hotel were the location and the pool.

The Kihei location was GREAT. We visited Lahina twice and then tried to stay away from it because there is only one way in and out of there and the road is always backed up, especially going into Lahina at dinnertime. The Kihei location has two access roads, S. Kihei along the ocean and 31 which is inland a bit. So, if one is busy, you can try the other and usually get where you want to go pretty quickly. Having a car (or motorcycle) on Maui is essential if you want to sightsee. Though, I noticed that the hotel had a lot of bicycles out front, I wondered if they rent them but I didn't ask.

The pool was wonderful, offering lots of chairs, shaded and unshaded. It was always hoppin' but there always seemed to be just enough chairs for everyone. There is a separate hot tub in an alcove behind the pool that has lots of shaded chairs and is a bit quieter if the pool is quite active. One thing I didn't like is that people could smoke by the pool but we were able to avoid sitting by those folks and ran into the same problem at the beach and many of the restaurants so really, this has nothing to do with the pool. Just something to keep an eye out for before you choose your chair.

As for the room itself, well, it wasn't as good as I had hoped but I still thought it was good for the price (compared to brand name hotels and resorts that wanted upwards of $380 per night). We got the upgraded "Alcove Suite". The room layout was good and I liked having a fridge in the room to keep bottled water cold. We were able to put all of our electronics (laptop included) inside the in-room safe which was a nice feature. I LOVED the tub which was very clean. No matter how much sand I brought into that tub, the next day it sparkled... despite it being a bit "outdated". I also liked having free laundry on-site (yes, I actually did some laundry on my vacation). The sixth floor washers and dryers were brand new and required no coins to operate. Because of the free laundry we were able to travel a little lighter (I'm sure my husband doubts that after carrying my suitcase). And, like many have said before, I saw no bugs inside the hotel, which, I understand is terrific for a tropical place. My husband used the free internet access downstairs a couple of times but it was always very busy.

This hotel could improve by 1) replacing the carpet in the rooms 2) cleaning the couch upholstry 3) getting bigger sheets for the king beds 4) getting a second concierge and 5) adding more internet access stations and/or adding a wireless internet option which would probably take some of the burden off of the two free stations in the lobby.

Our room had a cigarette burn on the carpet in one area and a mystery stain (the size of a half dollar) in another area. Thankfully, the carpet was otherwise okay, not smelly or sticky or anything, just a couple of burns/stains that were an eyesore. On our last day, we saw some contractors measuring the carpet in the hallway presumably for a quote. Hopefully they do the rooms as well because they are more in need of carpet than the hallway! The couch upholstry was dirty, but we didn't really use the couch except to put our suitcases on so it wasn't a big deal, it just would be nice to see this change as it, like the carpet, is a real eyesore. As for the sheets, we had a king bed and for some reason, the bottom sheet was not large enough to stay tucked around the mattress properly. It was as if they were using flat queen sheets on a king bed. As for the concierge, we tried to work with them to get some activities and dinner reservations set up but they were always busy when we visited so we ended up setting stuff up ourselves. Maybe they need two concierges if they plan to book the hotel solid which is what happened when we were there.

As noted by other folks, don't expect a view, except from the front elevator! The beach is across the street but you need to walk a block or so left to access it. I highly recommend renting a beach umbrella, both Boss Frog's and Snorkel Bob's are down the street and they rent umbrellas, chairs, and more. Makena beach is the best beach (way down past Wailea) but we had some good afternoons at Kamaole too.

Despite the many reviews of great food at the pool, we never ate there, though I had a couple smoothies while sunbathing which were great. We did try Spices on the last two days for breakfast and it was very good, though, the options for $4.95 breakfast as advertised on the sign out front were very limited. The service was a little slow on the day we ate around 9am but when we ate late (around 10:45a) it was fine. The KKO(?) is also within walking distance and serves breakfast with an ocean view. Denny's is down the street too and we heard tons of complaints about that. Our favorite breakfast place was the Big Wave which was in one of the shopping centers north of the hotel, maybe Azuka marketplace?

Anyway, I thought this hotel was a good value. Maybe a little outdated but clean in the places that count, and a good location. We'd consider staying here again.

Sorry to write such a lengthy review. I used these reviews when I booked my trip and found that the ones with the most details were the most helpful. Have a great time in Maui!

• Stayed: February 2005
37  Thank snickerseg
Reviewed February 18, 2005

We stayed at the Maui Coast from February 5 - 16/05. The staff was really friendly and there were no bugs! The room was ok but is starting to look very tired. Although we were in a no smoking room there were cigarete burns in the carpet and coffee and side tables. The bathrooms are very plain and need to be upgraded. The Maui Coast needs to be refurbished or it is really going to be a dump in the next 10 yrs. Dont bother eating at the Hotels restaurant.. service is bad and food is worse. There are some really good places to eat but you will have to walk about 8 blocks to get a great breakfast. The best place is the Kihei Caffe. What I mostly found disappointing was the location. I had not been to Maui in 20 yrs so was very disappointed at the uncontolled building on every square inch of land available! The hotel is not in the best of areas and I found it upsetting to have to walk past the drunks and druggies on the way to the beach. The area is noisy, the traffic is brutal and we did not feel safe at all walking at night. There are very few street lamps and a lot of dark and creepy areas that if I was a woman alone would never venture out alone. The beaches and the ocean of course are lovely and its easy to forget what you are paying everynight for accomodations.

I think the best bet in Maui is to find a private rental condo with the best features you can afford. My recommendation is to stay out of Kihea and if you can find a deal try Wailea. You will probably get a lot more bang for your buck. You will probably have to pay more however Kihei and Wailea are worlds apart in the kind of people that hang out in each area.The minute you leave Kihei and enter Wailea you know why you came to Maui!

Maui's housing and development growth is out of control and it is so sad to see this beautiful place starting to become another Honolulu.

14  Thank FrozenNorth
Calgary
Reviewed February 10, 2005

I loved this hotel. Really nice grounds, I had a standard room, bottem of the barrel, and even that was really nice. The pool was awesome, the help in the hotel was great. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Great location. I will definatly go back!!!!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed February 9, 2005

We stayed at the Maui Coast in Kihei in mid-December 2004. We chose this hotel after reading consistently positive reviews on this website. We were not disappointed and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a 3 to 4 star hotel.

THE HOTEL
The hotel is nice and is very clean. No bugs. While the hotel cannot be classified as a 'luxury' hotel, it is far more attractive than a Holiday Inn and as nice as some Marriott hotels. Unless you are a person who needs a Hilton, Four Seasons, etc., you should be quite happy there.

The pool area is nice, clean, and gets lots of sunlight throughout the day. Lots of free beach towels which you can borrow for the day even if you're going off-premises to the beach. There is a pool-side bar/restaurant which is good. We did not try the main restaurant, as neither the menu nor the atmosphere appealed to us.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. Parking is free and convenient, as is the internet access. We received a free upgrade to a suite that was quite nice - it had a fridge, safe, balcony, double sink, hairdryer and jacuzzi tub (but the tub was far too powerful to use comfortably, believe it or not). If possible, ask for a room facing the mountains (i.e. not overlooking the hotel's parking lot). From our balcony we had a view of beautiful mountains and the ocean. You will be hard pressed to find a hotel in Kiehei built right on the beach - you'll have to go to Wailea for that and pay a lot more $. In our view it's just not worth the extra expense, as all of the beaches are nearby, accessible to the public, and none were crowded.

LOCATION & NEARBY ATTRACTIONS
The hotel location is great for a number of reasons: (1) you are across the road from a park and beach and only a few minutes' drive to several other great beaches; (2) it is close to several good restaurants (definitely try Stella Blues (great fish and dessert), Five Palms Beach Grille Kihei (delicious international cuisine with a beautiful and romantic sunset view outdoors), and Sansei Kihei (fantastic and creative sushi in a fun & relaxed atmosphere), but we did not enjoy Roy's Kihei at all); (3) it is very close to virtually anything you may need - i.e. groceries, restaurants, bars, gas, rentals of snorkelling/diving/boogieboarding/beach gear; (4) it is a few minutes' drive from Wailea and you have access to a great beach in Wailea just behind a couple of the fancy hotels there - all the fun and beauty at half the price!

• Stayed: December 2004
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Maui Coast Hotel? Share your experiences!