We were able to get back to the Maui Coast Hotel in December'12/January'13. Things are just as good but there are a few changes one might want to note:
1. There were 2 tennis courts: one is now covered with solar panels, as is an expansive area of the lobby roof. While I applaud the hotel's decision to become relatively energy independent, one court is gone.
2. In April we were notified that the hotel is NO LONGER a part of the "Coast Hotel" chain. That means if you earned chain reward points and haven't used them, the hotel won't honor them. Instead, they announced they would have some kind of arrangement with Hawai'ian Airlines and Alaska Airlines. You'll need to check into that but for those of us east of the continental divide, we rely primarily on United and Delta and no plans were announced to have any awards relationship with either airline. We were lucky that we had points for our most recent stay; that saved about $1000. As a result while we still consider the hotel to be a great choice, and they do have other packages (room/car), we may have to rethink our length of stay on future visits unless room rates are adjusted accordingly to offset the loss of the "points" program.
3. When we left, "Spices" had closed down and the hotel said it was renting the restaurant to "Café O'Lei", which is a well thought of restaurant just down the road, which was in the process of remodeling the space. The restaurant did take over the pool concession while we were there, and the product was distinctively better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched in the heart of sunny Kihei, the elegant Maui Coast Hotel promises the ultimate island getaway - with a wide stretch of beautiful white sand beaches just across the street, swimming, surf and Barbeque to follow. Within walking distance to several shopping, dining and entertainment venues and just minutes away from championship golf courses and the Wailea Resort area. You'll find numerous ways to relax right here in our spacious Guest Rooms and Suites. Our friendly, attentive staff offering the true Aloha Spirit will welcome you back at the end of a fun-filled day. Offering an extensive selection of services and amenities, Maui Coast Hotel is Paradise indeed. The Best of Maui at your Doorstep! Go Ahead. Expect More. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Odigeo and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Maui Coast Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maui Coast Kihei
- Hotel Maui Coast
- Maui Coast Hotel Kihei