“Very nice stay in unit #304”
Review of Mana Kai Maui

Mana Kai Maui
Ranked #3 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Kihei
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We just got back last night from the Mana Kai. What a special spot. Our unit, 304, was great. Really nice upgrades, and the best part was it is very centrally located so your view out is right over the pool area, and out onto the lawn and right down the beach. It's perfect. Just a full on view. It was never noisy, but for the beautiful sound of the waves crashing on the shore. The Mana Kai is far enough out from the crowd and jumble in Kihei that it feels pretty isolated. The beach is great and not too crowded. Grocery stores nearby. Not so far from other things on the island so it is easy to drive around and see a lot without driving for what feels like hours to get back to the condo. The only downside I can think of is that there are ants in the kitchen and the condo as a whole so you can't leave any food out, not even fruit. But that was not even a problem. We just adjusted. Also, the unit does not have a dedicated wireless router (that I could find), but it wasn't a problem because the restaurant which is only two floors below had a network that we used. Maui in February was so great. We saw tons and tons of humpback whales (we took the Kai Kanai tour for whales and for snorkling from the Makena Resort hotel down the road a ways and they were awesome), spinner dolphins, sea turtles ... we were so sad to leave.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed February 11, 2010

My wife and I did a condo rental for a week through VRBO while I spent part of the week at a professional conference at the Wailea Grand Resort- a 30 minute walk down a glorious beach walk. "best commute to work I have ever experienced!" The Mana Kai far exceeded my expectations- all units have glorious views from the balcony- slept to the surf sounds every night. Units are clean, well appointed, and the beach side concierege was outstanding at recommending local restaurants and entertainment. the grounds are kept meticulously.

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Our family, mom, dad & 2 - 7 year old boys recenlty stayed at the Mana Kai from December 18th to 29th. We rented our unit 314 through vrbo so we knew the exact unit we were getting. Apparently if you deal directly with the condo / hotel you do not have a choice of unit. The condo itself had some updates done and was very comfortable and suited our needs. The beds were very comfortable. The kitchen was new, new TV's, satellite, and internet connection. Frank, the owner of the unit was very accomodating and worked with me as we had to book our flights after we booked the condo. We had overbooked the condo and Frank was kind enough to credit us for the overbookking. He also called me before we left fo give us tips / ideas for our holiday. We were very impressed with him.

There is a deli / store on site which was great. They had everything there including a very extensive selection of wine.

The building itself has been renovated in the lobby and the pool area. The pool is not large but again suited our needs. If you have smaller children you would have to be in the pool with them or have lifejackets on them as there is not much of a shallow area.

There is a nice lawn area between the pool and the beach with comfortable lounge chairs. You are able to get some shade from the palms trees, but for the most part it is quite open.

The beach is spectacular! Snorkeling right off the beach. We saw rays, eels, turtles and my son and I even saw a small shark. Of course a lot of beautful fish. A few steps down the beach is the most beautful sandy beach. It does not get deep and is great for children.

The Mana Kai is not in a "hotel strip". There are a few other smaller condo buildings and then is it all private homes. It is very relaxing and was not too busy.

We purchased groceries from a local grocery store - Foodland and ate most of our meals in our condo.

Outings included driving up to the volcano - spectacular and will do it again, the Maui Ocean Centre - fabulous and will do it again. We also went to The Old Lahaina Luau which was wonderful. We rented a car for the entire stay. A parking stall was included with our unit.

We will definately be back to the Mana Kai.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Famgal00
Reviewed January 5, 2010

The Mana Kai Maui is the perfect place to stay in Maui. The staff is delightful, one of the most beautiful beaches is literally outside the door of the lobby and the location is very accessible to all sorts of activities. The lanais in each room are also lovely and we found ourselves sitting out on them every moment we could listening to the waves and enjoying the amazing views.

The only thing to note is the rooms - which were great, but laid out differently than expected. We rented the condo with friends and they had the "hotel room" (which sleeps 2) and we had the other room (which supposedly sleeps 4). The hotel room on its own would be very disappointing as it overlooks the parking lot and there is a lot of noise. The other room it should be noted is a very large studio with a king bed (that is blocked off by lovely screen doors) and a sleepaway couch. It is not particularly large. And it would be very tight for 4 (we had 3 - 2 of us in the king bed and our son on the couch). So, we would say take that into consideration when making your reservation.

However, for the five of us who stayed at the Mana Kai this past week we said that we already miss it. We will return.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kpsonthego
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I stayed at the Mana Kai with my husband and his family from December 19-25. We rented the condo (#503) directly from the owners so we really had no interaction with the staff of the condo/hotel. I would highly recommend the unit we stayed in. The owners just renovated both of their units (a 6br and a 4br). Granite counter tops throughout, large master shower with rain shower head. The furnishings were incredible! It appeared that they decorated it as if it were there home and not just a vacation rental. They spared no expense in the kitchen - granite counter tops, high-end stainless appliances, bamboo cabinets, etc. We did catch a glimpse into other condo's and the furnishings in the other places were VERY dated (wicker furniture with 80's floral cushions, etc.) so I was thankful for the "plush" accomodations we had.

I would describe this complex as a "no frills" place so if you are looking for an economical place to stay, with a nice beach and pool without fancy restaurants, spas, and concierge service, this is your spot.

The condos are located fairly close to restaurants and some souvenir shops but I would highly recommend renting a car while staying here. The Shops at Wailea are a $10 cab ride away if you are looking for something other than souvenir shops, you will need a car. It took us about 40 minutes to get to Lahina and about 45 minutes to get to Kanapali (sp?) so the location isn't bad. The airport was only about 20-30 minutes away and the road to Hana was about 45 minutes.

There is great snorkeling right on the beach in front of the condo complex. We saw a variety of fish, eels, and even turtles. One woman told me she even saw a manta ray early one morning while she was out. We also had excellent views of the Humpback whales in the morning from our balcony. The beach is large and not too crowded although the lounge chairs on the lawn get swiped up by about 9:30 each morning.

We rented excellent snorkel gear from the shop at the condo for $20 for the entire week. They also rent kayaks, paddle boards, coolers, and beach chairs. Their prices were very fair compared to what we were expecting but you might find cheaper rates at other places in Kihei.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this facility.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RedRaiderAmy
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I vacationed with my family every year in Kaanapali, so I was hesitant about trying out the south side of the island. My husband and I were married in Kihei in October 2008, and due to construction of the condo building my parents now vacation to every year, we were moved to the Mana Kai. I came to Trip Advisor to read the reviews and was really concerned. We had 5 condos rented for the wedding. None of us rented the hotel side only, so we did have the 2 bedroom condo (which does include the hotel side for one room). We could not have been more happy with this condo building. The lobby was recently remodeled and is gorgeous! The pool is fantastic, and you absolutely cannot beat the location. My aunt who stays in 5 star resorts and is very picky loved the Mana Kai and will stay here again when she goes back to Maui. The key is finding a good room. We did a lot of research before picking a room in order to ensure that we were getting a nice place. There are some condos that have not been updated in awhile, but we have always been in an updated room. We came back for our anniversary and we will stay at the Mana Kai every year! I have stayed at multiple condos and hotels on the island, and the Mana Kai is overall the best! We prefer a more laid back location, and we have noticed that there aren't a ton of kids running around (which we love!). If you have the doors open to the lanai all night (which we do to enjoy listening to the ocean), it can get loud. I say, "Relax! You're in Maui and everyone is enjoying themselves!" The staff here was very helpful when we had the rooms booked for the wedding, and remembered us when we were back for our anniversary. I just cannot say enough good things about this condo. We love it and will never rent at a different location...EVER!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I go to Mauii every year for our anniversary. We always stay on the top floor of the Mana Kai in the 2 bedroom condo Unit 809. The owners are delightful folks and take great care of their unit. We've always been very pleased with ou stays here. They are positioned on the top floor and have THE GREATEST VIEW you could ever imagine. The place is very nicely furnished with a comfortable leather recliner and a very comfortable queen hideabed. They remodeled the kitchen pretty recently and it has much more counter space than any other unit we have seen. Most kitchens were quite small and tight in the other units. My husband and I love to cook, so that was important to us. We also loved the artwork of Maui. It is such a treat to stay in a place that has real artwork on the walls and not a bunch of cheap prints and commercial photos everywhere. Much thought was put into making this unit comfortable and visually pleasing. We especially appreciated the free very fast high speed wireless Internet that the owner offered. The dishwasher looked brand new and the glass top stove was very nice and easy to keep clean. The beds were very comfortable with lovely bedspreads and pillows. All in all this was a great experience and we look forward to our next trip to Mana Kai, unit 809. Other great amenities at the Mana Kai were the beachfront restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner…plus Happy Hour, Sushi Bar and a great Deli that stays open until 9:00 PM. It was also very convenient to have a travel desk right down in the lobby for all the choices of things to do on Maui. Everything is there on site to enjoy including a beautiful glass enclosed pool with waterfall, beautiful grounds, Tiki torches reflecting in the pool at night and extraordinary sunsets. You hardly have to leave the premises to have a great and relaxing time! We give it rave reviews on all fronts!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihei
Maui Coast Hotel
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront
Kamaole Sands
Kamaole Sands
#14 of 60 in Kihei

Been to Mana Kai Maui? Share your experiences!