Leinaala
Orbitz.com
$159
$129
  • Restaurant
All reviewssmall complexaa oceanfrontshopping and restaurantspaulacondobeachgroundsbarbecue
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I have traveled extensively in Hawaii and have stayed in many condos. We could not believe unit 102... it honestly felt as comfortable as my home, but with a killer view! We would sit on the lanai and watch whales, wind surfers, and the turtles and listen to the birds. The 50 yard lawn is framed by palm trees and faces the ocean and the beautiful sunsets! Every morning we would walk the beach a mile in one direction and another mile the other direction. The condo itself has EVERYTHING a person would need to cook any meal...everything from a drink slushy mixer, rice cooker, spices, and all the pans and cookware needed. The furniture looks to have been newly covered and the surround-sound stereo system is awesome! Having an air conditioner in the bedroom (in addition to the main living area) is a big plus! We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank SparkyMaxwell
Reviewed February 1, 2010

1 Bedroom Apartment: We booked our place for 2 weeks and were so impressed! It was completely renovated with quality appliances / furnishings and professionally decorated. Trade winds made using A/C not necessary (but we had it if we wanted) Maybe could have used a vacuum or extra dish rags...
Building and Management: 2nd to non! They were always available, extremely friendly and kept this place ship/shape! Either working on gardening, cleaning or putting banannas out every morning for residents. Internet was not always strong, but it was included in the price. Our friends had more trouble connecting on the fourth floor.. but we managed ok on the 2nd. Pool is "Ok" but not heated... would have been nicer to have heat. 24 units in total make this a "home away from home"
Location: If you are looking for quiet, with the most incredible sunsets and low key location, this is it! Their is a public park between the building and ocean that is hardly used.. but when people come out it is to watch the sunset! Very quiet and quaint park... no noise. Most people drive into Kihei, where the restaurants and action is -- approx 5km south. The beach is not a swimming beach, but you can do some fabulous walking on it. The "Times" Grocery Store is 1km south and a quiet nice walk.
Safeway is also an short drive or walk to get to.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Unit 102 has a lovely decor, and it is very clean. It was very comfortable for all 4 of us. The pool was just a few steps away. The kitchen was a gourmet cook's dream. Not only did it have everything you would possibly need for cooking, it also had the spices! I had been there once before and just loved it. After I got married, my husband was anxious for us to go together. He also loved it. Great location. Close to everything. Beautiful grounds. Spectacular sunsets.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2009

We stayed for 6 nights in December 2009. This place was perfect for us. We too had unit 203 and while the furniture is dated the location is spectacular and the rooms were nice and big. The best part is the lenai - big enough for an outdoor table and chairs, the perfect place to play a game of cards and have a glass of wine. The nice thing is that this place is quiet - no road noise, no noise from neighbors. They also have everything you would want there -beach towels, a cooler you can take for the day, beach chairs, (and a blow dryer for you ladies). Since it is a public park from the condo to the beach, there are many people there at sunset to watch the show - it is SO beautiful. We did not walk to any restaurants as there is not a sidewalk and at times the traffic can be busy, but within 2 miles there were many great restaurants. We loved Cuatro and also Sensei for nicer meals, and Antonios and Vietnamese Cuisine for cheaper spots. Maui is an expensive place to visit so this was really a good place at a great price - and a good way to save a few bucks by making your own breakfast and packing a few lunches. The kitchen has a full fridge and freezer and all the things you need to cook and eat. The other great thing about staying in Kiehi is that no attraction is very far from it - 90 minutes to the top of the crater, 3 - 4 hours to Hana (with many stops along the way)
I would also recommend going to the Big Beach, the Iao needle and the Nakalele blowhole. All close by and great stuff to see along the way. Another nice feature is the laundry facility there - about a $2 to wash and dry a load. Like others have said, if you like a resort atmosphere, this is NOT for you, but if you want a safe, clean condo with an awesome location, this spot is great!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Just got back from our first trip to Maui. We booked our stay at Leinaala based almost exclusively on the amazingly positive reviews on Trip Advisor and I'm happy to say our high expectations were completely met.

I think others have pretty much said exactly what I'd care to so I'll try to keep it short. We stayed in unit 401, which we booked through Expedia. From looking through some of the pictures of other units on VRBO it looks like 401 may have been last renovated a little earlier than some of the other units, but it was none the less very nice and contained everything we needed to enjoy our stay.

Leinaala is a hidden treasure on the northside of Kihei. It's only about 24 units, which compared to most of the other places you'll pass on the island is absolutely tiny. To me this is only a positive as it leaves you feeling a lot more like a vacation than a trip to an ant farm. The other positive about the small size is that the building was built in such a way that every unit gets the same beautiful ocean view that you'll see advertised. I am a major skeptic and honestly didn't believe it until I saw it, but the view is really that good.

The location worked perfectly for us. North Kihei is central enough that you're never far enough from any of the major areas (besides the Hana side of the island of course) for the drive to feel very long, especially with the beautiful scenery. If you feel like going out there are dozens of decent restaurants within driving distance and many within walking distance. If you want to stay in a cook your own meal, there are at least 3 major grocery stores nearby as well. Head 15 minutes south for what I thought to be the best beaches on the island. And when it's time to leave the Airport is another short 15 minute trip north.

I don't think I could find a single negative thing to say about Leinaala, but I will mention two things that might be negatives for some people. The first is that the beach you overlook is not a swimming beach. However, as I mentioned before if you do a little digging on Trip Advisor you'll quickly find that there are close to a dozen amazing beaches a short drive south with public access. The other thing is that Leinaala is condos, not a luxury resort. There's not room service, a giant pool with a bar besides it, or a maid that cleans up after you every day. We had gone to Cabo San Lucas for our Honeymoon and stayed in a resort type setting that had all those things and while I really enjoyed that trip I certainly was looking to be a little more self sufficient this trip. As a trade up you get a fully stocked kitchen, living room, and the ability to do whatever you like with them. Not only can this save you a lot of money, but it also gives you a lot more freedom to enjoy the natural wonders of the island. We were able to have breakfast prepared and waiting in the fridge on mornings where we wanted to be on our way before any restaurant would be serving food. We kept lots of easy to prepare snack food around for late night snacks, rather than having to run out for a bite to eat. If your idea of a perfect Maui vacation is to be camped out besides a resort pool all week charging drinks to your room than this probably isn't the place for you, but if you want to see Maui for all its worth I give Leinaala my absolute highest recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple