Kamaole Nalu Resort
$290
Orbitz.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsrocky areathe kitchenmaster bedroomwasher and dryerwithin walking distancehouse rulesup to dateda kitchengreat snorkelingbeautiful beachan upgradebeach chairsevery morningoceanlanaigroundssunset
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Every other year I come to this beautiful resort and I always enjoy every moment of it.:) The beach is so beautiful and I love hearing the waves when I fall asleep right next to an open window! The hotel is really nice and sometimes when the door is open little fiinches come in and and hangout with us ;D Right next to the resort is this amazing rock bed where you can find lots of seashells! I once found a sea urchin and a litttle pearl. I garuntee you will love this place!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bailey S
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Have been coming here for more than 20 years. The location is its greatest attribute. You are literally 2 minutes from one of the best beaches on Maui, Kamaole II. The stretch of beach is often almost like a private beach. Depending on the time of year, there may be only a few dozen people on the beach. It is never over crowded. There are only 36 units at the property, all with an ocean view. Units with a 1 at the end are streetside and a bit noisy. Floor units are great for easy pool and beach access, the #6 units have great views, but all units can enjoy the sunset from their lanais. Units are privately owned, and there are differences. We are in 104. It has been upgraded with new paint, new double beds in the second bedroom, new bed coverings, HDTV in living area, and TVs in both bedrooms, plus free wi-fi. The kitchen has new cabinets on the back wall, adding much more storage space. The furniture is older, but quite comfortable. Being a smaller building, it is easy to meet people and make friends. We keep in touch and have visited with many people we've met here over the years. We will continue to stay here when we return to Maui.

Room Tip: Anything from stack 4, 5, or 6, but 2 and 3 stacks are fine. Avoid 1 stack if possible because of the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We have just returned from a 2 week (5-19 Oct 2011) vacation at the Nalu. It was a family holiday and we rented 105 and 601. The 2 sets of parents were in 105 and our adult 'kids' (ages 23 to 29) were up in 601. Both condos were clean and had full kitchens. Bath and Swim towels were supplied as well as beach chairs. All kitchen utensils etc as well as basics such as oil, spices, tin foil, saran wrap, laundry soap, dish soap etc. We were welcomed by Patty and throughout our stay if we needed any information or assistance we phoned Ali'i resorts and were assisted immediately by their staff. 105 is great as it is on the ground floor right next to the pool and steps to the beach and is more modern that 601. 601 was a bit out of the way and had a lot of traffic noise but most of our time was spent on the beach. There is no air conditioning which we were concerned about when we arrived but the Trade winds picked up most afternoons and we found we were comfortable without one. As per all the other reviews, the location is amazing - on the best beach in Kihei. The manager was helpful and the garden and grounds were cleaned daily (perhaps after the previous review?). We were pretty lucky that as it is out of season the complex was pretty quiet and we got to meet some lovely families while we were there. Overall we had an amazing time and will definitely return to this property when we go back to Maui.

Room Tip: I didn't go into any other condos but seems like the '1 to 3' blocks would all be pretty quiet with the sound of the ocean to relax you.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We just got back from our 5th visit to the Kamaole Nalu. The grounds used to be so well kept now not so, Many plants are dying, several of the plants are sick. They used to rake or blow the plant debis daily off the lawns, we stayed 10 days and not once was the outside grounds cleaned up, very disappointing. The walk way to the units used to be kept up very nicely not so now definately could use a hosing off. The curtains in the bedroom had holes and rips in them, when checking in they said that they had ordered new ones and would be installing them in two days, that never happened, the curtains in the living area had stains on them, seems as if there would be compensation but no there was not.
On a great note the beach is lovely and right outside your lani. Sunset are fantastic, location could not be better, the weather fantastic. I really do not think you could find a better location in Kihei. the pool is great too.

Room Tip: closer to the ocean the better. There is an elevator if you are on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Sunny51550
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I have been to this complex about 5-6 times now, and we won't stay anywhere else. Some of the positives:
1) LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! Close to shops, restaurants, bars
2) Set on one of the best beaches in south Maui
3) The complex is built so all units have ocean views.
4) The layout of the units is perfect for 2 couples or a couple with kids. Each has a "master suite".

I noticed that most of the reviews posted here were from 2009 prior, so I really felt this place was getting a bum rap as much has changed. The first main change was that Alii took over managing, which was a HUGE plus. Previously they had an on site office & manager, and we had very bad experiences with them. When Alii took it over in 2009 (I believe) it was way better. We had an issue with the cleanlliness of our unit a couple of years ago. I was infomed that they had to let a couple of the cleaning folks go, and they were hoping this would take care of it. I did notice that this time our unit seemed much cleaner. The other thing I wanted to mention is that they closed the complex down this past September & did a bunch of structural renovations, painting, etc. All of the crappy indoor/outdoor carpeting was removed from the lanais, and some of the unit owners have even tiled the lanais, which is really nice.

The couple of negatives this past trip were noisy neighbors--after "quiet time". Fortunately, there is an on site manager who nipped it in the bud, so it was only an issue a couple of times. This has never been a problem on any of our other stays. I rated the value as a 4 star. While it is affordable if we come with another couple, we would not be able to afford this complex on our own. I see where it would be frustrating to pay full boat for a non-renovated 80's unit, while the folks right above or below you are staying in a 5 star unit for the same price. It helps that Alii gives a "return guest" discount, but it would be nice if this discount were a bigger percentage.

The thing people need to realize is that each of these units belongs to a different owner. Each owner decides if he/she feels compelled to renovate thier unit. Over the last few years I've seen more units being renovated, updated, etc. I understand how frustrating it is to not get what you expect, but if you book your unit directly through Alii, you have the opportunity to look at several photo's of the units & book the exact unit you will occupy. I have found that each of the units we stayed in looks the same or even better than the photo's, so I really don't feel there is any deception here. People also need to realize that the nicest, most renovated units will book up, so while yes it is great to wait & see if you get a "bargain", just don't be disappointed when the unit(s) you want are already booked. It is a trade off, and I do believe you get what you pay for in most cases.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends