“Okay Food, Okay Service”
Review of Cafe O'Lei Kihei

Cafe O'Lei Kihei
Ranked #16 of 178 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Chicago, Illinois
“Okay Food, Okay Service”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

There is obviously no view as it is in a little strip mall, but the food and service were decent. Our waitress was very nice, but the place was crowded and a little loud. We had the crab cakes (pretty fried, but probably my favorite part of the meal), the prime rib (only had medium and well done, but was fine) and the firecracker shrimp (tasty enough but a little bland and served on a bed of plain white rice). It is not a bad place for a meal by any means, but the prices were Maui prices and I think there are other, better restaurants for the price in the area.

• Korean first
Stillwater, Oklahoma
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, good price”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Good food and service for a very reasonable price in Maui. We had Mahi and chips and a chick sandwich and they were both good, we'll be going back.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
“Susan and Cleve”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a must for anyone visiting Kihei. I warn that it is a little pricy, but the food was amazing. The French Onion Soup was the best we have ever had. I had the Macademia Nut Crusted Chicken and he had the Blackened Mahimahi. They were wonderful. Our server was wonderful. It was a great dinner.

Calgary, Canada
“Great food, great value!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We went to Cafe O'Lei for lunch our very last day in Kihei, which was a total mistake because the restaurant was truly excellent!! I wish we'd discovered it our first day not our last! It's cute and quirky and somewhat out of the way but worth trying to find it.
I very rarely eat fish - maybe once a year - but I decided that there is no better time to try it than on an ocean island and it was a great choice! I had the tempura Mahi - basically fish and chips - but the fish was really delicious, fresh and not greasy at all. My mother ordered the special of the day - Ono with a mango sauce. It was so big that I ended up finishing her fish for her - something I've never done! The Ono was also really fresh, grilled up really nicely, not greasy, not too dry.
To drink, we both ordered the Haleakala Sunrise (although both were without alcohol) and they're amazing. Delicious, gorgeous to look at and just tropical enough to make you feel like you're really on holidays.
My only complaint would be that they have these odd hanging curtains between the window tables - from a distance they look great and give the resto sort of an indie feel but up close, you can see that they aren't in great repair and they also aren't very clean. Given that this is such an easy thing to fix - I'd say it's time to replace or just get rid of.
Beyond that one small thing, our experience there was amazing and so was the food. At about $8-10 for a lunch entrée, it's definitely worth the visit.

Visited September 2012
Kihei, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The owners have created a unique experience”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The owners trained in some of the best hotels on Maui before opening there business, they sell a decent product at decent price