“Scuba Shack in Maui”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Scuba Shack in Maui”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The people over at Scuba Shack are amazing. It was the day before my wedding and I had my entire wedding party on the boat to Scuba Dive // Snorkle and they went above and beyond to make the day rememberable from start to finish. The entire team was awesome, our dive master took us to sweet spots that allowed us to see a baby shark and giant sea turtles, I even found a sharks tooth on my very first dive. After we finished our dives for the day the crew surprised me and my fiance with a chocolate cake with "Congratulations" written on it, then had a shout out to us and our entire bridal party over the radio, so sweet of them to take the extra time and effort to make an important day stand out forever! I can't thank them enough for that. It's the only dive shop to visit when going to Maui.

San Antonio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Absolutely the Only Choice for Maui Scuba Diving”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just finished our first two dives with Captain Charley's Scuba Shack dive professionals. My wife and I have been actively diving all over the world for 16 years and have dove with dive companies from bad to good. The Scuba Shack isn't just good, they're outstanding. The first dive of each day is around the Molokini Crater and Captain Charley has his boat there early and way before the crowds show up. His boat is clean, well-equipped, modern, and extremely fast. His dive masters are very professional and put the safety of dive foremost. Capt Charley offers coffee, water, and snacks upon arrival at the boat ramp and a nice continental breakfast in between the first and second dives. If you are a scuba diver or snorkeler planning a trip to Maui, this is the only place to go. Captain Charley goes the extra mile for his customers and it shows.

Visited June 2013
San Jose, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Scuba Shack Maui HI experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

All the reviews I've read are very positive about The Scuba Shack so I think our experience was not usual. My two nieces and sister and I went to Kihei Maui for a wonderful vacation in which we experienced many "first experiences" - Snorkeling was one of ours and we took a trip with Charlie and crew to Molikini crater. We had a group of about 15 so it was crowded on the boat. Only 5 of us snorkeled. The boat is very fast and that was great as we arrived at our destinations quickly. We also went to Turtle town. The population of fish to see was actually much greater at the protected preserve so that was a bit of a disappointment but we had a beautiful day and did enjoy seeing turtles at turtle town which was a thrill. What I did not like was that Charlie catered to the scuba divers by anchoring way out in the open waters of Molikini crater. The 5 of us snorkelers were directed to follow the reef that juts out from the far right corner of the crater and then swim over it to the crater. We were on our own and one of my nieces had a hammerhead and reef shark next to her... one swam to the side and one below her. My other niece and I saw another shark as we swam in the open waters a couple of hundred feet from the crater! We were not told how to react if we saw one so we were all scared. I know the tourist industry doesn't want to make a big deal about the sharks but after this experience I read that there had indeed been shark attacks in the area a month before. I know there are not many shark attacks (six the year previous) but for NEW snorkelers I would have preferred a safer experience for us. I noticed all the other boats out with snorkelers stayed near - and some even were in the water with them. On the way back the captain showed off his boat driving skills by doing circles and advertising the other businesses he ran. He was also too attentive to one of the women on the boat who he brought as a date. This was the experience we had and we would not go again with this business on a return trip to Maui. We would definitely go in the water again but in an environment in which we felt safe and cared for!

8 Thank Marquita_Darling
Kenai, Alaska
“Best part of our trip to maui”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My 15 year old son and I both got certified with the scuba shack in march. The staff and owners were great. The dives were a blast, my son is asking to go back next year. Charlie if you go through Soldotna this summer give me a call, I'll be on the river. Thanks Jen, we really enjoyed our time there.

Visited March 2013
Illinois, United States
“Excellent Adventure”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This scuba/snorkel trip was excellent! We had a group of 3 divers and 2 snorkelers and there were 2 other divers not in our group. We arrived at the boat dock to a very welcoming staff, coffee and snacks for breakfast. Once the boat was launched we got a beautiful view of the Maui sunrise before arriving at our first location. The divers got to see a wide variety of sea life, led by Toby. He also takes some amazing pictures! I was one of the 2 snorkelers and Charlie told us where to go to see the best sea life. After about an hour we got back on the boat and were served juices/sodas/waters, breakfast rolls and fruit. After relaxing for a little while we moved on to our next location, Turtle Town. The divers got to go into a few caves and the snorkelers went into a few coves. Overall, the staff was extremely friendly and informative and everyone in our group truly enjoyed the experience. I would absolutely recommend Scuba Shack to anyone who is in the area looking for a wonderful scuba/snorkel trip.