“Absolutely the Only Choice for Maui Scuba Diving”
Review of The Scuba Shack

The Scuba Shack
San Antonio
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Absolutely the Only Choice for Maui Scuba Diving”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just finished our first two dives with Captain Charley's Scuba Shack dive professionals. My wife and I have been actively diving all over the world for 16 years and have dove with dive companies from bad to good. The Scuba Shack isn't just good, they're outstanding. The first dive of each day is around the Molokini Crater and Captain Charley has his boat there early and way before the crowds show up. His boat is clean, well-equipped, modern, and extremely fast. His dive masters are very professional and put the safety of dive foremost. Capt Charley offers coffee, water, and snacks upon arrival at the boat ramp and a nice continental breakfast in between the first and second dives. If you are a scuba diver or snorkeler planning a trip to Maui, this is the only place to go. Captain Charley goes the extra mile for his customers and it shows.

Visited June 2013

San Jose, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Scuba Shack Maui HI experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

All the reviews I've read are very positive about The Scuba Shack so I think our experience was not usual. My two nieces and sister and I went to Kihei Maui for a wonderful vacation in which we experienced many "first experiences" - Snorkeling was one of ours and we took a trip with Charlie and crew to Molikini crater. We had a group of about 15 so it was crowded on the boat. Only 5 of us snorkeled. The boat is very fast and that was great as we arrived at our destinations quickly. We also went to Turtle town. The population of fish to see was actually much greater at the protected preserve so that was a bit of a disappointment but we had a beautiful day and did enjoy seeing turtles at turtle town which was a thrill. What I did not like was that Charlie catered to the scuba divers by anchoring way out in the open waters of Molikini crater. The 5 of us snorkelers were directed to follow the reef that juts out from the far right corner of the crater and then swim over it to the crater. We were on our own and one of my nieces had a hammerhead and reef shark next to her... one swam to the side and one below her. My other niece and I saw another shark as we swam in the open waters a couple of hundred feet from the crater! We were not told how to react if we saw one so we were all scared. I know the tourist industry doesn't want to make a big deal about the sharks but after this experience I read that there had indeed been shark attacks in the area a month before. I know there are not many shark attacks (six the year previous) but for NEW snorkelers I would have preferred a safer experience for us. I noticed all the other boats out with snorkelers stayed near - and some even were in the water with them. On the way back the captain showed off his boat driving skills by doing circles and advertising the other businesses he ran. He was also too attentive to one of the women on the boat who he brought as a date. This was the experience we had and we would not go again with this business on a return trip to Maui. We would definitely go in the water again but in an environment in which we felt safe and cared for!

8 Thank Marquita_Darling
Kenai, Alaska
“Best part of our trip to maui”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My 15 year old son and I both got certified with the scuba shack in march. The staff and owners were great. The dives were a blast, my son is asking to go back next year. Charlie if you go through Soldotna this summer give me a call, I'll be on the river. Thanks Jen, we really enjoyed our time there.

Visited March 2013
Illinois, United States
“Excellent Adventure”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This scuba/snorkel trip was excellent! We had a group of 3 divers and 2 snorkelers and there were 2 other divers not in our group. We arrived at the boat dock to a very welcoming staff, coffee and snacks for breakfast. Once the boat was launched we got a beautiful view of the Maui sunrise before arriving at our first location. The divers got to see a wide variety of sea life, led by Toby. He also takes some amazing pictures! I was one of the 2 snorkelers and Charlie told us where to go to see the best sea life. After about an hour we got back on the boat and were served juices/sodas/waters, breakfast rolls and fruit. After relaxing for a little while we moved on to our next location, Turtle Town. The divers got to go into a few caves and the snorkelers went into a few coves. Overall, the staff was extremely friendly and informative and everyone in our group truly enjoyed the experience. I would absolutely recommend Scuba Shack to anyone who is in the area looking for a wonderful scuba/snorkel trip.

Kirkland, Washington
“Finally Certified "Awesome"”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had tried diving ten years ago and stopped because I could not equalize or release the pressure building up in my ears while diving. I got a hold of The Scuba Shack in Maui, to try "after all this time" to see if I could go on an introductory open water dive. Due to the experience of the group there (Thanks Shane) I was taught ways to remove this pressure that the other dive center never took the time to show me. After doing the pool course we went the next day to open water and was taught to go down a few feet until feeling pressure and the ways to remove it. After about 20 feet and taking my time, it was on. I continued with a great 40 foot dive at the Molokini crater that day. Charlie the owner did me a great favor and offered me to continue for the next three days and work it all in for a certification. By Thursday I was able to do something I had wanted to do for twenty years but was never guided the right way, to accomplish it. Thanks to the schooling of Shane who worked really well with all of us there in getting all the skills and safety down, and the support of the whole group Charlie has there at “The Scuba Shack”, they helped make this happen.
Thanks to all…. It’s time to fill my dive book.