“Two day Scuba trip”
Review of The Scuba Shack

The Scuba Shack
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My son and I booked a two day dive trip with Scuba Shack and prior to selecting the Scuba Shack I read the reviews for Scuba Shack as well as the others in the area. I noted some of the short falls that some have rated Scuba Shack on however after going out with them for Two days (4 Dives) I must say safety is one of their goals both on the boat and in the water. Bringing my own gear I noticed they checked it several times to make sure it was safe and ready to go which I appreciated a second look. I appreciated the rules for the do's and don'ts. We had a great time, Charley clearly knew what he was doing as well as the rest of the staff and they were professional. One thing I really appreciated is that as a diver on vacation you come across divers from all across the country with different degrees of experience and there were several divers who went through their air pretty fast. Toby instructed them to return to the boat which was within view and we continued to dive which extended our dive by 30 minutes. Would return and use them again. Their equipment which my son used was very nice and worked with out flaw.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The staff is the best! They make you feel welcome, secure, and you can trust that you will have a blast doing whatever activity you choose. We set out on a dive/snorkel of Red Hill and Molokini crater, both wonderful spots full of sea life and explosion of underwater fun filled memories. Even if you're a little uneasy with the ocean, they ensure your safety, and keep a close watch in case your not feeling as adventurous and pull you back on board at the raise of a hand. All in all, wonderful experience, true professionals, and this will be my first stop on my next trip to Maui!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Awesome dive adventures out to Molokini and Makena. Turtles and sharks and shipwrecks. So much to explore, and the water is clear and warm. Starting off just at sunrise was great - beautiful view of the stars over the water then the sun comes up over Haleakala as we're setting out for the crater. Charlie has the fastest boat so the ride out is a special fun trip in itself and we got where we wanted to be quicker and easier. We saw some whales, so close we could hear them spouting, and still made it out before anyone else. It was a great tour before we even went in the water.
Toby and Jenny are excellent divers and wonderful guides. We enjoyed a wonderful dive off the backwall off Molokini, a beautiful and exciting place, Now you could hear the whales underwater, expecting to see them right beside you. The crater backwall is covered in corral and drops off into nothing. It was really exhilarating.
the ship was sank to provide a reef and create a diving experience, it was covered in huge turtles. the man-made reef areas were thick with exotic fish. As I swam around, a good-sized school swam under me like I was a large predator, and they wanted to hunt with me. it was amazing to be part of that.
The crew was really fun and also truly real about what we were doing, where we were going, and our own responsibilities in this environment. We were more than just tourists diving here. Did I mention delicious pineapple? and they keep a nice warm shower for after, letting us feel great.
awesome dives!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We just returned from our trip to Maui. Three dive days with Scuba Shack and loved all six dives. Toby was a great dive leader. Per-dive briefings with emphasis on safety, great at pointing things out and took wonderful pictures -CD was less expensive than we have encountered with other dive companies. Loved the equipment. We don't like to pay extra baggage fees to bring our gear - and with Scuba Shack you don't need to- their gear is first rate. Had John as captain first two days, Charley on day three. Both went out of their way to stop so we could see whales, Charley spent an additional 20 minutes on our last dive day so we could enjoy spinner dolphins. We really enjoyed our dive on the back wall of Molokini. We go to Maui every spring and we will be back.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My second trip to Kihei, and my second time diving with The Scuba Shack. I dove three days with Toby as my guide each time. The shop, the boat, the crew and the diving were all excellent!

Make reservations early as they only have room for 12 divers per day, and stop by the shop to fill out the waivers to avoid paperwork on dive mornings. The shop has a good selection of masks, fins and other dive gear. They also sell the rental gear from the boat at 1/2 price--they swap out gear every month.

Meet the boat and check in with the captain (John was driving the boat for all three days this trip) to get geared up with wetsuit, masks & fins if you don't have your own gear. Personal gear can be handed up to the guides in the boat (always 2 guides for 12 divers). By the time you get there, the guides already have the boat set up and know which divers are going with which guides & they know your name as soon as you meet them. Coffee and snacks are available while the other divers are getting organized.

Once on the boat, they do a thorough but smooth and quick safety briefing about the boat and then fire up the jets for a 12 minute run to Molokini (at least twice as fast as the other dive boats). On my last day, we spotted a family pod of humpback whales and stopped to watch while they swam just off the boat & one swam right under the boat!

At the dive site, there is another safety briefing about the rental gear and the dive location and profile with always an invitation for questions if you are wondering or worried about something. The guides do a good job of balancing the briefing between enough information for novice divers and not boring the experienced divers.

First dive (at Molokini) is chosen based on weather and to make sure returning divers don't dive the same spots. Guides check air supplies and allow divers to tour around near the boat after the 'air hogs' have surfaced. The captain is always there with a hand up out of the water if required--might have to wait a few seconds if he's helping someone else, but the ladders are sturdy and secure if you don't wait for a hand. A quick ride to the second dive spot along the coast or a different part of Molokini and then breakfast and water/soda/juice are served while the crew changes out tanks.

All three days (6 dives) were with Toby. He knows the area well and takes the time to point out things I would never notice on my own. Post-dive conversations made it clear that the other guides were also great. Toby always has his camera with him and you can buy a CD of photos and videos of your dive. Let him know, and he'll have them ready at the shop by the next day.

Back on board, the crew cleans up and sorts gear while the divers shower (warm water) and talk about the dives. Then back to the boat ramp--I was back to our condo and on the beach all three days by 11:00 with two dives each day under my belt and still the whole day ahead of me on the beach!

I will certainly be back to Kihei, and I will certainly be diving again with The Scuba Shack!