“Good food, a bit pricey”
Review of Fernandos

Fernandos
Ranked #36 of 151 Restaurants in Kahului
Reviewed June 2, 2013

After a day at the beach some Mexican food sounded good, so we headed for Fernandos. We've eaten there before but not for a year or so. Anyway, place was nice, food was ono, the service was real good. Just way out of bounds on the price for some reason. But we did enjoy ourselves and would probably stop in again if we were in the mall...

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This review is for the Fernando's location in the "Queen Ka'ahumanu" mall. My wife and I stopped for lunch today. The inside is plain and simple with what I like to call that "ho-hum" touch. Once seated our waitress took a drink order and returned with drinks and no chips or salsa which I always thought was the first thing they put on your table. She came back to take our order and this time I asked for them. She just forgot and went and fetched some. This was my first disappointment. There were sufficient chips but she brought three different salsas,....each in it's own thimble. There was not enough salsa in any one of the three small containers to adorn more than a couple of chips. I am not one of those timid salsa "dippers." I am a salsa "scooper." If you are going to bring me a bucket of chips bring me a bucket of salsa to go with them. Admittedly, she was more than willing to get us more which she did.
My wife ordered chicken taquitos. These were possible the most flavorless things I have ever had in a Mexican restaurant. I ordered the two soft taco plate with one carnitas taco and one pastore. Both were small and a bit dry but fairly flavorful. We both had beans and rice which were just ok. All in all, I would try this place one more time. The folks sitting adjacent to us seemed to be really enjoying their meals so maybe we just ordered the wrong things. But, it would not be my first choice..............or my twelfth.

2  Thank Thomas H
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Atmosphere:
Clean, newer restaurant (previous restaurant did a major renovation and was open only for about a year.) Huge bar. Enclosed outdoor seating available.

Food:
Beef burrito $11. Huge portion, taste was okay. The beef has a very mild flavor. Needs a kick of spice or salt. The pico de gallo didn't help. A small handful of tortilla chips would be nice for the price.

Seafood flautas - Excellent!

Mexican pizza - Really good. Chicken (or beef), tomatoes, onions & cilantro on a toasted flatbread.

Chicken wings - Excellent. Super crispy & juicy.

Sopes - Fried masa topped with pork, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and avocado. I didn't care for the taste and consistency of the masa. Flavor was very mild and borderline bland.

Nachos - Ground beef with all the usual toppings. The chips are awesome. A bit thicker and definitely NOT out of the bag! Big portion for 3 of us and we didn't even finish it.

Service:
Fast & friendly.

Tip:
Great happy hour drink specials but no food specials.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family was looking for a good mexican restaurant, and after the fact I should have kept looking. We looked over the place before entering. The hostess was pretty friendly, so we figured would be good. It was okay at best, and over priced. They charged me an arm and a leg for a Crown/Coke. That was not crown, but some cheap rail garbage. The burrito some sort I ordered, I wanted the cheese queso sauce (and pay and upcharge), INSTEAD of the regular sauce that comes with it. They still brought me the regular sauce and about a tablespoon of queso which I think they charged me over $2 for. What a ripoff! They will be more than happy to refill your soft drinks, but don't tell you that you are paying for price for that refill. What a ripoff.

1  Thank gbpackerfan62
Reviewed November 2, 2012

went with the family, have tried others on the island, i like their location, and the atmosphere was good. the waitress camelle, was wonderful, did a great job. the food is ok for mex. the shreaded beef had a great flavor, but the rest was ok. what was strange is the offer a combination side of the menu, but they dont combine anything. i didnt get it. i think to them, a combo means rice and beans, who knows. nothing like taco and ench plates etc. also, drinks are 2.75 and a 99 cent refill. really paying for refills. thats just wrong. there are better places around the island, la pinadas for a ranchero type food or pollis in maka.