“da best kine Mexican grinds on Maui, especially if you down for chicken anything”
Review of Fernandos

Fernandos
Ranked #36 of 150 Restaurants in Kahului
Reviewed July 7, 2011

with Fernando and/or Christy his wife almost always overseeing, they and their all female staff/cooks crank out the best and tastiest home style Mexican cooking on Maui. Ono for chicken? (in Hawaiian/local speak ono means hungry for)...order the chicken taco salad or enchilada plate...Fernando cooks the chicken to his Mothers recipe and it's pulled...never diced/cut up...big difference. I'm partial to ordering my enchiladas with spicy green sauce as I'm not overly fond of the usual 'ranchero' sauce...um.. broke the mouth! (I think you can figure that localism out yourself). He also makes tasty mole, has a decent salsa bar (8 different items, 5 of them salsa's)...other favorites are soft shell chicken taco with chipotle (3.25 ala carte...a huge serving on two corn tortillas...what a deal!) Small note but impt one....his refried beans are the best...smooth and creamy...key things here are FRESH and CONSISTENT...I only go for lunch and you can eat in a wide price range from 3.25>10.00+...they do serve dinner too...it's a food court btw in the Maui Market Place...say hi to Manilyn and tell her Allen sent you...

Reviewed December 10, 2010

I was walking by and thought I would give this place a try.

Decided on the "Vegetarian" Burrito until I asked the waitress a few questions.

Does it have refried beans cooked in Animal fat?

The waitress said it came with refried beans, but she did not know what how they were cooked, but said I could have Baked Beans instead. Then she mentioned that there is Bacon mixed in the Bacon Beans.

Then I asked how the rice in the "Vegetarian" Burrito was prepared and she replied that it was made with "Chicken" Broth. I replied that the "Vegetarian Burrito is not a "Vegetarian" Burrito. She replied that if you Special Order it without rice and beans, it is.

Kind of like ordering Grilled Fish, only to find out that it is also Deep Fried or that Sugar is added to your Diet Coke.

So I decided not to eat and just ordered a "Happy Hour" Margarita.

I then went to the restroom to clean my hands and saw food, including fresh produce stacked on the floor in the kitchen.

The Margarita was ok, but I was charged the regular price. Got the mgr. to fix the "Overcharge" and left, without tipping.

Reviewed May 23, 2009

We fly to Maui for a mini vacation last weekend. On Sunday, we went to Fernando's for lunch. It's located in the Maui Marketplace food court next to Sports Authority on Dairy Rd. My wife had flautas (sp?) and I had the shredded beef chimichanga. The food court wasn't too busy when we got there at 11:30 am but it filled up quickly. Now this is not a fancy, fine dining place rather more like a fast food joint. So it's real casual and rather noisy. The food was served on a paper plate with self served salsa and self help plastic utensils and paper napkins. But the food tasted great. I have to agree that it's up there with the best Mexican food I've tasted elsewhere in Hawaii at least.

1  Thank HawaiiFoodlover
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Maui, Hawaii
Reviewed August 12, 2008

good - better than Maui Tacos,not as good as Fiesta time or Pinatas

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook