“So much fun we went back for more.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kiteboarding School of Maui

Kiteboarding School of Maui
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kiteboarding School of Maui is Hawaii's premier kiteboarding training center for riders of all skill levels. KSM is known globally for its highly trained instructors, and distinguishes itself from other schools by having an instructional program supported by CORE, one of the world's leading kiteboarding brands.
Vancouver, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“So much fun we went back for more.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a great afternoon of instruction with Brett from the Kiteboarding school of Maui. My son really got the hang of it and actually started kiteboarding. As the older member of the group I still need a bit of practice ;).

The lesson was really well done and professional. So much so that we signed up for a second lesson and went back the next day. Another great experience.

We totally recommend the Kiteboarding School of Maui

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jim R

Ketchikan, Alaska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The best on Kite Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

It's all about great Instructors and Kiteboarding School of Maui has them. I started out the previous year with another company but followed my Instructor Rick D. over to KSM. His enthusiasm and proven teaching techniques got me up and riding upwind in 5 total lessons. I'm not getting any younger but consider myself a quick learner and avid adventure sports enthusiast. Rick identified and corrected my problems and got me up and going in no time. Look no farther than these guys. Don't forget to tip your Instructor!!!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Fred D
New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Instructors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had wanted to learn to Kiteboard for a long time but found it to be a bit overwhelming being that I had no kite, board, or water skills.

I have taken two trips out to Maui to learn each for 5 days. Both times I was out with instructor Jon McCabe. He is awesome at teaching the basics to the extremely advance.
I am personally on the basic side but I saw him teaching another student jumps/tricks that blew my mind.... hopefully one day I will get there.

I still have much to learn but find that having a good instructor makes all the difference. I also spoke to many of the other instructors and they where happy to give me tips to ride better, I found everyone to be great.

If you are in Maui and looking to kite surf you definitely need to set time up to learn from these guys / girls.

I am up an riding now and couldn't be more stoked with my experience!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank nycgottago
Sacramento, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Time with KSM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I recently took a three-day lesson with KSM and had a great time. I took these lessons on April 6 through April 8, 2012. My instructor was Natasha Gronski. She was a great teacher and was able to teach me what I needed to know. We had great winds all three days, which helped. I understand April can be hit or miss. I think the summer months are the most consistent for wind. I wouldn't count on anything less than a three day lesson if you have never kite boarded before.

For 99.9% of the population this is not something you can learn in a couple hours, and you have to be willing to be dragged through the water for a while before you get the hang of it. The reward of kite boarding is worth it in the end. It was definitely a challenge for me (in a fun way). I was able to get up and kite board on the last day, but it took three full lessons. I recommend taking the morning lesson, 11-2, especially if you are a beginner; it gets more crowded in the afternoon. Jennifer Schale is the booking manager and is very friendly and a good communicator.

As far as I could tell, there are three main outfits that offer kite-boarding lessons on the north shore. All operate out of the same place at Kite Beach. KSM seems to have the best organizational structure, and the best web page.

I recommend booking in advance. When you book, they also send videos ahead of time.

Kite Beach is located close to the airport. As far I could tell, there are not a lot of great places to stay in the area. Location wise, Kihei or Wailea are probably the best, closet places to stay if you are traveling with a family. My family stayed in Kaanapali, and while we loved the place where we stayed, it is about an hour each way from Kite Beach.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank Alex J
Huntington Beach, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good Experience with some administrative glitches”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

Overall I was very satisfied with my instructor Cody. No doubt he had a bias for my success, which did, possibly, push me a bit faster than I was ready. Would've been better if he had broken down and worked on the individual steps of the water start. However, I think I have a very good base to practice on and make progress.
The variable weather caused multiple reschedulings that led to inadvertent double bookings and further rescheduling...
Our final bill was off by a fair amount, which they corrected once we informed them of errors.

Visited September 2011