“Sunrise on Haleakala is something you have to see, bike ride down is great fun, too!”

Cruiser Phil's Volcano Riders
Michigan City, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My friend Jay from college was one of our two tour guides -- he and Everett made this experience fun for everyone.

I didn't know what to expect, and quite frankly I was a little grumpy about getting up at 2:30 a.m. just to stand around on a freezing mountaintop -- but the minutes we spent watching the sun rise there are among the most memorable of my life. Getting to follow that up with a fun bike ride down Haleakala that was exhilarating without being at all dangerous was a huge plus! I feel Cruiser Phil's was the best company to do this tour with because they seemed to be the most prepared and safest. All equipment was in good shape, we had great full-face helmets and we got to travel the furthest by bike of any group, almost all the way to Paia. Plus, Jay is super knowledgeable about the island. We learned a lot from him! I would definitely do this again!

Visited December 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Incredible sunrise / fun bike down the volcano”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I've done the volcano ride a few times and this was the first time that I've done it with a guide. Defintely a plus. Matt & Trevor were fantastic guides....with lots of emphasis on safety, as well as tidbits on the area, and lots of laughs. Dress warmly in layers....even with the extra coat/pants/windbreakers/gloves that are provided on the ride, it can still be VERY cold, especially if it's windy out.
This is not a high calorie burning trip...you are literally coasting down the road, using your brakes for a lot of the time. There are lots of turns, and should be comfortable on a bike.
Our grouped opted for a shorter lunch option and stopped at a General Store, which was just incredible!

Pros: Loved the amount of info and jokes
Really nice to have the van behind the group....was able to discard layers, keep my camera, etc in the van and not have to worry about it getting tangled up on the bike. If you are traveling with kids, that is the only way that I would do this.
Safety briefing was very well done.
The eucalyptus forest area was especially cool.
Mother Nature cooperated with us, and we saw a phenomenal sunrise! :)

Cons: Was tacky to suggest a possible tip amount of $20pp--we were planning to do that anyway, but felt awkward after hearing this.
Wished we could have stopped more for pix.
The bikes are older....very squeaky and some rattled quite a bit. If they would upgrade their equipment, I would have given them 5 stars.
The base camp was not dissimilar to some of the others...nothing fancy (in fact, in the back of an industrial park). What they could improve is that the 'breakfast snacks' provided were really on par w/vending machines items...nothing that I would ever choose to eat.

Overall, an experience not to be missed!! They do pick you up from the hotel VERY early, so would recommend that you do this on your first or second day on the island, before your internal 'clock' fully adjusts.

Visited February 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

If you get Matt and Jay as your guides you're in for a morning full of laughter, good spirits and professionalism. Good luck finding another guide that can make you laugh at 3am on your way to base camp! They take safety very seriously and we felt comfortable on the ride as a result. This is NOT an extreme sports event, but a great way to experience the beauty of Haleakala Creator.

Visited December 2013
Detroit
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“We loved it!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Our guide Matt and crew/driver Jesse were awesome! We have done this trip before with a different company but this was best by far! Sure there are rules...so you can make it down safely and have fun too.

Novato, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I would go with a different company. ”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Had a bad experience with this place. The van they drive in is cramped. Our main guide wouldn't stop talking and making bad jokes the WHOLE time. They did give us good gear for the cold weather when we watched the sunrise that was cool. The bike ride was what I came for and it was lame. They have so many rules and kind of scared us and made it seem like it was dangerous (it wasn't) we couldnt look around we had to keep eyes on the road. We rode so slow it wasn't very fun. The bike was wobbly and the brakes did not work well. All that aside I think what annoyed me most was the fact that the main tour guide had the nerve to tell us that on a good day they usually receive a $20 tip from each guest. I was gonna tip until he said that. You don't ask for a tip. Overall I saw many other company's on the volcano that day and they ALL looked like they were having more fun than our group.

3 Thank Hobojungle8686