“Beyond Expectations”

Maui Downhill Bike Ride
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Kahului
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We invented Downhill guided biking in 1982. Unlock the rush of gliding down Mount Haleakala Volcano from 6500 feet after seeing the famous Haleakala sunrise at 10,023 feet from the edge of Haleakala's 3,000 foot deep Volcanic crater. See the night stars right next to the World Famous Star Observatories before your biking adventure evens starts. Choose from over 10 different Guided Bike Tours. Ride with us, we invented Downhill.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I spent quite some time looking at the different options and companies offering downhill bike tours of Haleakala. I even drove to the summit and observed the different tours coming down.

First off, I was not at all interested in getting up at 2 a.m. to see the sunrise at 6:30 then biking down... I'd probably fall asleep! Next was to decide if I wanted to come down the mountain solo or in a group. After driving the road, I quickly realized that coming down in a group was the way to go. There were many comments about the group's speed being that of the slowest rider but that wasn't a problem in our group for sure. Unless you're a competitive biker you really have to focus on the bike and the road; having to watch out for traffic behind you is just not something I could comfortably add to the equation.

Once you're fitted with a bike, get your helmet on comfortably and select which additional clothing items you want (the gloves are a must for the first half), your off !!

For our tour, I was picked up at at our condo in Kihei at 7:30 a.m. Once we got organized at the office and started to head up the volcano, Tony was our driver. Just an amazing team. Before I could remember any names they had all eight of us down pat; not only our names but where we were from as well. There's just something to being called by your name all day by someone you just met !!

After the tour of the summit, we headed down a ways and got the bikes out of the trailer and started the trip downhill. The scenery is much different than when driving a car and very enjoyable and safe. Tony guarded our backs all the way down and his communication with RC at the front of the line made the ride enjoyable for us and not too frustrating for any traffic that came up behind us.

I'd highly recommend this tour to anyone that rides occasionally (I wasn't on a bike for 2 years) and I'd suggest you ask to join a tour run by RC and Tony.

1  Thank ZoomOttawa

Reviewed February 27, 2014

It's a must do when in Maui. Watching the Sun come up was so beautiful and the clouds gave the sky exquisite colors, just breathtaking. The best part was riding our bikes down the winding roads. The air smelled so fragrant from the lavender and tropical flowers, I wish I could bottle it! As for Maui downhill company the best!! They made sure first & foremost safety was first.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

The crew was friendly and make sure everyone was able to ride their bikes safe. They even make you ride 50 ft so they can determine if you are a safe rider.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

To be honest, if you are prepared and know what to expect on this tour, you can make an informed decision as to whether this is something worth doing...yes, you get up crazy early and get to the summit well before sunrise. Be prepared to stand around for quite awhile in freezing temps (dress appropriately - in layers as it gets warmer during the descent and you can keep a backpack in the van). The ride down is accompanied by a guide and is quite safe...would not suggest that beginners or someone not comfortable on a bike take part...better to ride in the van. The bicycles were just fine (my husband and I are avid cyclists and these bikes clearly fit the bill for this type of ride). You need to be able to brake and steer - that's pretty much the extent of what you'll be doing on the downhill. We found our guides, Billy and Stan, to be informative, polite and not overly talkative but they insured our comfort and safety so as far as I'm concerned, they did a fine job. The stop at the Lavender Farm was okay and for some of our group, a welcome respite. All in all, the weather cooperated, we saw a beautiful sunrise and had an enjoyable descent!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our family of 6 went on the Sunrise tour and were bitterly disappointed and felt very cheated of over $800. It was quite a lovely sunrise , but certainly didnt justify being picked up at 2.45 am. At this time we travelled to their office where a lot of time was wasted having " breakfast" - a few frozen pastries and coffee with no milk, and then mediocre wind breakers were distributed, followed by a long queue for a few busloads of people to use 1 toilet.
We ascended the mountain in another vehicle and then waited outside in the freezing cold for approximately an hour to see the sunrise.
For the huge sum of money being charged , a flask of hot tea would have been appreciated .We were then driven further up to the peak to explore for about three quarters of an hour, but the area was of little interest.
Then another long toilet stop, and finally we went down to be fitted out with bikes.There was a lot of talking and not a lot happening for many hours. When we finally started the bike ride, no-one in our family was pleased with the experience. My daughter and I who were a little timid , felt as if they were trying to get us on the support vehicle rather than encourage us along. And those who wanted to go a little faster were held back by us because they insisted that the slowest person set the pace. They kept telling us that was for safety , but given how much we were paying,I think there should have been a faster group and a slower group and both would be well within safe limits.It was really about them not wanting to employ another guide and was so frustrating for 90% of the group.And made us slow riders feel that we were ruining it for all the other people in the group. Soon there was another stop at a Lavender farm which sounds lovely but was just a very mediocre outdoor cafe and we spent nearly an hour there. And then about 20 minutes later , the bike ride came to an abrupt halt in the middle of a road. None of us could believe we were finishing, and then a bus ride back to the office where we had to wait an annoyingly long time to be transported back to our hotel. So we were away about 10.5 hours , spent over $ 800 , and yes we enjoyed a nice sunrise but there has to be a less expensive, less time consuming way to enjoy it and the bike ride was a huge rip off and left everybody frustrated. The guides get good marks for trying to be friendly , but were basically annoying .I would not recommend this company to anyone and given we only had 6 days in Maui were very sorry we wasted our time and money on Maui downhill.

5  Thank ajlip