“Awesome Time!”

Maui Downhill Bike Ride
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Kahului
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We invented Downhill guided biking in 1982. Unlock the rush of gliding down Mount Haleakala Volcano from 6500 feet after seeing the famous Haleakala sunrise at 10,023 feet from the edge of Haleakala's 3,000 foot deep Volcanic crater. See the night stars right next to the World Famous Star Observatories before your biking adventure evens starts. Choose from over 10 different Guided Bike Tours. Ride with us, we invented Downhill.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking
Cresco, Iowa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awesome Time!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My sisters and I went on the ride in March of this year. It was so much fun. The views were amazing. The entire time was fun; the ride up, the ride down, lunch, the ride back to the office. Ben and RC made the day SO MUCH FUN!!! RC is a hoot! It is not dangerous, they are very professional and explain all of the rules and signals to you. It is not a speed ride down, it is leisure ride and is super safe. I would highly recommend the ride. And ask for RC to be your guide!!!!! Thank you Maui Downhill!

Jodi from Iowa

Visalia, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Disappointing tour adventure”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I do not recommend Maui Downhill. The van did arrive on time (2:30 a.m.), but took us to their office in an industrial area to get our helmets. Our "breakfast" was a Costco muffin cut into pieces. The flavors were chocolate and maple nut--if you don't eat this junk you were out of luck since there was NOTHING else. For some reason they gave us PLENTY of time to eat our slice of muffin. Then we drove to the summit and were dropped off extremely early. I hate to tell you, but the sun can be viewed in a large area and it is not necessary to be first and wait in the freezing cold! Then our guide took us to a couple more spots which seemed like time killers. Finally we headed down, but I am pretty sure where we were dropped off to get on our bikes was lower than normal. Some of the people in our group had not been on a bike in years (pretty dumb to come along) and were quickly weeded out and back in the van. However, the women were treated like we were the worst riders, even though I'm pretty sure my daughter was the strongest rider in the group. The ride down was ok even though our bikes seemed pretty rusty and the brakes were questionable. The part I hated the most was the "lunch stop" at a cafe that had more junk food and we had to pay for ourselves. We had to wait almost an hour for the guides to be done with their break.

Next time, we will choose a different bike company. This one was very disappointing.

1 Thank MooMa30
Portland. England
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Real meelow cruise down Haleakala”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

What a great trip this is. We had a great time cruising down the mountain. My Mum was extremely nervous as she had not been on a bike in years. The guides listened to her worries and were so kind and helpful she was soon ready to go and she loved it.
Tarren was our guide and he was such a nice guy, in fact they all were. There is no subsitute for local knowledge and I was glad that they boys were all Islanders.
Mahalo

Mercer Island, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Un-adventurous park visit in the dark”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Our hotel brochure said this trip would provide "the ultimate experience as you coast from the 6500 elevation level of Mt Haleakala". The experience was ultimate indeed -- ultimately miserable.

We were picked up at 235am. The driver was about 5 minutes late, which was fine, but we were then stuffed into a van with one driver and 12 passengers. The seat belts were inoperable. The ride to the Maui Downhill office took about 30 minutes, and once there we chose helmets, over-pants and jackets. Everyone was well accounted for, but we inexplicably sat around for another 25 minutes waiting for ... something. We were in the dark outside, sitting behind a stinky dumpster at an industrial complex.

The brochure said we'd be provided with a "continental breakfast" -- that was just a bunch of half-sliced pastries in a Tupperware tote.

After a 70-minute ride into the park, we reached the guest center at the viewing edge of the crater around 530am. After we were discharged into the parking lot, the drivers napped in the van. The visitor center is tiny and the only refuge from the cold and blowing drizzle. Not much of a problem -- the climate was to be expected, but I did not expect to spend more than an hour at the visitor's center. Our 530am arrival had us there more than 50 minutes before the sunrise!

Back in the van, we took a loop around the summit parking lot; not unpleasant, now that the sun was up and there were sites to see. We stopped at the lower guest center but it was closed. (It opens at 8am and we came by around 735am.)

On the ride down, we were read our safety instructions which concluded with advice about tipping. The recommended tip, the sheet says, is 10 to 20% of your bill.

Around 825am, we finally got on the bikes. The pace of the tour was glacially slow. There were very few moments when I wasn't on the brakes to slow myself in order to keep in line, and the time spent on hand signals given by the ride leader was wasteful--from my assigned position at the end of the pack, I practically never saw him.

While the staff claims they put their guests' safety first, I found my bike to be in ill repair. The rear brake lever had very long travel and was almost completely ineffective when engaged. Its return spring barely worked, requiring me to snap it back by pushing away from the bars. The barrel adjuster at the end of the cable was frozen with rust, and other parts of the bike were noticeably oxidized. The bike tracked crooked; going straight had the top tube slightly out of parallel to the front wheel.

We stopped on a turn for about 20 minutes to yell into the forest to hear an echo and snap some pictures. The tour guide at this point made an inappropriate comment about "10 beers and two Portuguese workers". Less than ten minutes riding after the pictures stop had us stopping again at the Lavender Farm for almost an hour. At that stop, we needed to buy our own food and drinks. (Note that the farm has a minimum of $10 for a credit card charge, which left a couple of the younger and unprepared travelers in our group hungry.)

After finishing the slow ride and returning to the offices, we were driven back to our hotel and arrived at 1130am. We spent nine hours with the tour for less than an hour of total riding time. The ride simply wasn't enough fun to justify all the stops and delays.

For $155 each, I suppose this isn't a bad price, but it absolutely wasn't what I expected and I wouldn't return again or recommend it to my friends. Anyone who's expecting any amount of adventure -- particularly seasoned bicycle riders -- won't enjoy the trip at all. I can't imagine anyone would enjoy the transport, and the visit to the park in the dark wasn't as interesting as it could have been given better timing for the sunrise arrival.

4 Thank MikeBlas
Maui D, Manager at Maui Downhill, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Aloha,
Maui Downhill services thousands of visitors monthly and unfortunately we will not make everyone happy, as much as we would love to. The timeline of the tour is based on the group. We don’t want to rush everyone, especially at that hour. We give time to travel up to the summit, so that our guests can find a great spot to view the sunrise. Haleakala’s sunrise is an experience most people visiting Maui want to do, so the lookout can become very crowded.

We have a bike mechanic on property, who works diligently to upkeep our bicycles and to keep them working properly. Maui Downhill is all about safety and when issues or concerns arise about our gear, we try to address such items quickly.

We will be addressing some of your concerns which will help us better the experience for our future guests.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation on the beautiful island of Maui!

Mahalo.
Amsterdam
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“so much fun with RC”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had great day with RC from Maui downhill, I highly recommend doing the downhill tour with them it is a great experience and so much fun!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank bosbes
Maui D, Manager at Maui Downhill, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Aloha,

We are glad you enjoyed your experience with Maui Downhill! Our guides love what they do and it shows. We hope you had a wonderful vacation here on our beautiful island of Maui!

Mahalo!