“Super awesome adventure with good guides!”
Review of Maui Downhill

Maui Downhill Bike Ride
Ranked #1 of 2 Food & Drink in Kahului
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We invented Downhill guided biking in 1982. Unlock the rush of gliding down Mount Haleakala Volcano from 6500 feet after seeing the famous Haleakala sunrise at 10,023 feet from the edge of Haleakala's 3,000 foot deep Volcanic crater. See the night stars right next to the World Famous Star Observatories before your biking adventure evens starts. Choose from over 10 different Guided Bike Tours. Ride with us, we invented Downhill.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Toronto, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Super awesome adventure with good guides!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Went for the Sunrise and Bike down tour trip with this company. Very prompt pick-up @ my hotel @ 3:15 am, even though my wife and I were not waiting in front of our hotel on time, they waited for few minutes for us. They provided us hot beverages with snacks @ the company center. The staff are very friendly and courteous to everybody.
Sunrise @ the Summit: Extremely Windy and cold, I wasn't anticipating the wind to be so strong and the temperature to be that cold. I'm from Canada and I thought how cold could it be...haha! I would definitely recommended fleece as an inner layer with gooood down jacket with a hood outside, scarf is a must and so is a pair of gloves. I thought my hand would be frozen by the time sun comes up. A pair of warm pants would definitely make a difference. I saw people with hotel's blanket, and some one wearing shorts! You never now how long you could be waiting up @ the summit for sunrise, we waited easily for an hour at least. So layers, layers and layers! The company do provide you wind breaker and thick ski glove but it doesn't provide you warmth inside the body and the gloves is too hard to take picture with.
Bike Down Tour: They do it from 6500 ft above, not from 10,000 ft above for safety reason. Not as windy and not cloudy so the scenery is better, and you get a good view of the town below; gorgeous scenery. The 2 guides (Billy & Ace) are very accommodating and helpful, they will make sure if you are not an experience biker then they will put you closer to the front of line (right behind the first guide) to make sure you are OK and encourage you all the way.
Lunch: They brought us to this golf club with restaurant which isn't bad. Food is pretty good. I did witnessed a staff taking order from somebody inquiring about a vegetarian food and she got pretty impatient and her frustration was visible. Well, we can't blame her since she was at least 6 - 7 months pregnant and I say it's the hormones! =)

Visited December 2012

San Francisco, California, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not recommended for queer travelers, regular bikers, or those with dietary restrictions”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Pros: the first half of the experience (seeing sunrise on the top of the volcano, hearing about Maui from our driver Doug) was great: cold, but well organized, and friendly. The view back down on the bike ride is, as expected, stunning.

Cons for queer travelers: the guides who ran the biking part of the trip were some of those good, old-fashioned sexists and homophobes who make queer travelers feel so subtly unwelcome. Bikers were split male/female (since "woman go slow, and men want to show off"), and I received a lot of pushback for refusing to be gender segregated. At a photo stop, het couples were strongly encouraged to pose on a bicycle, with the female partner sitting on the handlebar with her legs around the male partner, and then commanded to kiss. My male partner and I swapped; he was on the handlebars, and I was on the seat. That led to pretty uncomfortable comments. When we refused to kiss on command, we were taunted, "What are you, brother and sister?"

Cons for regular bikers: if you are used to biking regularly, this trip will be frustrating. It is designed, understandably, for those with little experience riding a bike. You will be dropped off and picked up at pit stops along the mountain, with a very slow and unfortunately short roll in between.

Cons for those with dietary restrictions: the description of the tour makes it seem like you will be brought to a market at the completion of the ride, for lunch. In truth, you are brought to a restaurant. This restaurant has few options for vegetarians, vegans, celiacs, etc. More problematic is that my partner and encountered a lot of pressure to "sit down and order, sit down and order, just sit down and order" when we tried to take a moment to look over the menu. If you do take a trip with Maui Downhill, I recommend packing a lunch and stating your boundaries clearly.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank Bonnie R
Forked River
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“What a sunrise.”
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

I booked online back in March, 2912, so you never know what to expect. Well the driver was extremely prompt for our 2:35am pickup. Yes that early. We picke cup several others and headed to their office for accident release signing, gear and some coffee and muffins. Adequate based on that hour of the morning. We headed to the summit and the guide and driver allowed us to dose until we reached the park. From that point Ben and Tyson spoke of some history of the park, weather, his and Bens life on the island. It was all very pleasant. We arrived in ample time for sunrise. Ad boy was it cold up there, but they provide parkas and pants if you need them. My husband and I had our winter coats, yes in Maui because we knew we were doing this adventure. Ample time was given to enjoy the sunrise. We headed further up the summit to the 10023 elevation for more views and pictures. We started to head down and made several other Kodak moment stops along the way plus a visit to the ranger station for the last bathroom break before we headed out of the park And proceeded to get on our bikes. We started the bikes at about 6500 feet in elevation. About 21 miles from the bottom. We were given explicit instructions and safety guidelines. The ride down is simple and not strenuous at all. You just have to pay attention to your guide and the bikes in front of you. You go really fast. We stopped for a Kodak Moment on the bikes and the guides took some fun pictures of each couple/family. After we reached the bottom we went to breakfast at a local golf club that offered decent food. We choose the Loco Moco based on our guides suggestion of eating what the locals eat. They gave us plenty of time to relax. I have read some of the reviews and have to say that none of what I read was true on our trip. The guides only mentioned once that tipping is suggested and that was when they went over the printed sheet of safety rules and it was printed on the bottom. As to the horrible restaurant, if it was the same one it was not bad at all. Service was good and quick. It is a long morning but so well worth it. We had a spectacular sunrise which was unobstructed. You are back to your hotel by noon. Suggest you just rest for the remainder of the day. It was a really great trip and my husband and I really enjoyed it. If you are looking for a challenging, site seeing bike ride, this is not it, but in my opinion it is worth the value. Mahalo!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Maui Downhill...Not as advertised”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our guides with Maui Downhill for the $298 tour, Mike and Jesse(after the original guide slept in) were great. The sunrise was epic and the ride down should have been, but was not. We DID NOT make it right down to the the ocean(28 miles) and our ride was cut short on a quiet Sunday morning, supposedly due to traffic concerns. I know now we could have saved money with an online booking, but myself and my wife in no way got value for our money. The thrill was in the sunrise and not the bike ride. Mike and Jesse kept all in our group safe, as expected. But it seems cutting the trip short is on the whim of those in charge. Maybe Maui Downhill should consider a small refund as a goodwill gesture in situations like this. Can't see that happening though. Left a bad taste in my mouth after a fabulous trip to Maui.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank AmosVinny
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Such a fun way to start a Hawaiian vacation!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Best to do this on the front end of your trip, before you have adjusted to the time difference. It's an easy bike ride - mostly braking the whole way down.

Visited October 2012