“One of my Hawaii trip highlights - AND I am NOT a morning person!”
Review of Mountain Riders

Mountain Riders
Book In Advance
More Info
$120.00*
and up
Mountain Riders Predawn-Morning Bike Tour (from...
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Ok usually I am not a morning person and I do not set alarms however for the Haleakala Downhill Bike Tour with Mountain Riders I had to be out by road from the cruise terminal at 3 AM. Seriously, I had to decide to pull a all night or go to bed and drag my behind out of bed in the middle of the night. I opted for the drag my behind out of bed.
The start was a bit shaky as the bus arrived late and then drove around and around a shopping centre waiting for someone to meet us, which they never did. Good thing I do not get car sick. This group could use some time management skills for example we could have been filling out our forms on the way to PU our bikes. That way I could have had an extra 30 minutes sleep. I would change that for sure. The morning breakfast was basically coffee can juice drinks and packaged danishes. The ride up took about 90 minutes and once there our guide showed us the best place to stand for a view. It was busy!. We were very lucky to not have a cold day as on other reviews it mentioned time and time again how cold it was. I do recommend layers and gloves. They did supply wind suits which did help. Pack a beach towel if needed. The ride down was amazing and the stop for breakfast by lavendar farm was at our cost however very enjoyable. We were one of the very few if ONLY group that actually road all the way down to ocean, Very glad I did not book from the cruise ship or other bike tour. Our guide was very experienced. If at all possible try to group with people of same weight and skill.

All reviews
"amazing sunrise"
in 8 reviews
"dress warm"

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Mountain Riders is more interested in collecting your money than the safety of its riders. The National Weather Service issued a High Wind Warning and heavy rains for Jan 4, 2013. Well, that is just what we got. The trip should have been canceled but instead we were called "warriors" for riding in those conditions. Totally stupid decision made by the guide. Are the guides under so much pressure that they feel they must complete the trip in order to avoid refunds? Are they paid based on completion? We were told to get in the van if we didn't like it.

I have done this trip two other times in 1992 and 1995 and knew what to expect. Heck, back then we started at the top of Haleakala! I still can't believe that we did such a stupid thing. We should have demanded our money back on the spot as a group as it was not enjoyable in the least. If you like being blown all over the road with the road spray running down your face from the front wheel, then this is the trip for you. We didn't learn one thing about the volcano itself or the park like before, just instructed to follow the guide and try to stay alive!

Bad Business. We so enjoyed our trips with the Triology and Skyline Eco Adventures. They put our safety first! Mountain Riders had you sign the waiver in the dark van at 2:45am!

5  Thank Mary45230
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Maui and had heard about biking down through the Haleakala State Park and decided to give it a try. We went with Mountain Riders... It was very easy to sign up, they sent a shuttle bus to pick us up and took us to watch the sunrise at the top of the Haleakala summit. Reading reviews, we knew it was going to be cold, but we had no idea it was going to be as cold as it was. Luckily for us, Mountain Riders gave us nice Columbia weather gear (Jacket, pants and gloves) and made it bearable to watch one of the most spectacular things I have every seen. It was magnificent! After that, we gathered at a spot on the road at about 6500-7000ft above sea-level to start our journey down the mountain on bikes. Our tour guy was a guy named Mike and he was AWESOME! he was very knowledgable about the history of the island and stopped at points along the way to share his knowledge of the islands history and current affairs. Mike also took extra time with members of the group that needed help warming up. He took us on an awesome 28 mile ride. I don't think I pedalled the bike more than 2-3 dozens times. It's all gravity and downhill, with a view of the entire Maui valley, surrounding oceans and landmarks that Mike took his time to draw our attention to and give us some background on. I would recommend this company over and over again. And if you can, request Mike... He really made the adventure an all around enjoyable event.

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

The bike ride was great - and despite the rain it was scenic and beautiful. Our guide was very enthusiastic, especially proud of being Hawaiian. The bikes were old and the brakes were squeaky. The rain gear was pretty good -
Columbia black jackets, pants and gloves. The main drawbacks we experienced were that the company provided NO water for the riders - which was difficult especially when acclimatizing to 10,000 feet. Also, the "continental breakfast" is a packaged danish, canned juice and coffee which was provided at 3am at the office prior to the trip to Haleakala. There was a stop for a proper breakfast on the ride, but that was not included. This was my second time doing the trip and I believe we were offered water and breakfast as well as blankets and a guide at the top. So if you are planning to do the ride, just research what you are actually getting for the ticket price.

1  Thank scubagirlNYC
See more reviews
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were picked up at our condo at 3AM and we were taken to their office to watch a video, have some breakfast, and get our rain gear. And boy, did we need the rain gear! We rode in the van up to the summit and hung around for about 75 minutes waiting for sunrise. Alas, only clouds!

So, we were tired and disappointed when we got back in the van to pick up the bikes. However, our guides Sean and Owen were pleasant and informative. I was with a rowdy bunch of twenty-somethings, so everyone perked up when we got our bikes. I am sure there are pros and cons to riding single-file at a controlled speed, but both girls and I enjoyed the pace. There were two great stops, one for some great photos and one for some great food at a farm. Our guides were fun and very knowledgeable about Hawaiian history.

And yes, you basically brake the entire ride down the summit. Our leader kept us at a safe pace and we also had a van following behind, which made me feel more comfortable. I wouldn't recommend this ride for "adrenaline junkies", as the pace is fairly slow. I have read some of the other reviews and have these three points to make: my hands did not swell for 36 hours from braking, I heard no negative comments on "ladies", and no one ever advised me at 5'2" to ride in the van. All in all, it was a great time and I highly recommend them.

I won't recommend this for couples, unless everyone is aware of the speed and willing to follow someone else.