“2nd chance.. what a success!”
Review of Mountain Riders

Mountain Riders
Book In Advance
More Info
$120.00*
and up
Mountain Riders Predawn-Morning Bike Tour (from...
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Ok, so my husband and I wrote a review a couple of days ago about not being picked up. Once we were finally able to get a hold of the company later that day we learned that the driver over slept and they were very sorry for what had happened. They offered us a 2 for 1 deal to compensate us and we reluctantly took it. We did it today and I am so glad that we did. What a fabulous time. Tom (aka Pops) and Andres were our driver/guides. They were great. They made me feel safe at all times, and were very funny and accommodating. Stopping to take and pose all the couples for pictures etc. Would defintely recommend this excursion. Mountain Riders have redeemed themselves to us. accidents happen, i.e sleeping in,,, but it is how they handle the follow up in our opinion. I had such a good time today, I had to make sure we updated here on tripadvisor, or we just wouldn't feel right.

All reviews
"amazing sunrise"
in 8 reviews
"dress warm"

Reviewed July 7, 2011

had a great time right frm pickup to sunrise to the mountain biking downhill. Julio was our guide, he is entertaining guy.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

Yes folks thats right. THey did not even show up at our hotel for pick up at 2:15 am. We were left standing there with another couple. We finally gave up at 3:15 and went back to bed. Of course we can not get a hold of anyone to talk about this, as no one is answering the phones, We are so disappointed as we changed our day around yesterday so that we would go to bed tired very early and get up at the crack of dawn for our exciting trip. Now yesterday seems wasted and we are exhausted today since we have been up all night. We are so angry. THis is our honeymoon. We will now have to try to find someone to fight with to get our money back. While we waited for over over an hour, we watched another bus come called Maui Downhill to pick up other guests... we wish we would've booked through them. Maui riders is terrible.... and unreliable. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, unless you want to pay $240 to wake up in the middle of the night, and be left standing at your hotel entrance waiting for no one!!

4  Thank SuzanneandStephen
Reviewed March 22, 2011

This was the only paid activity my husband really wanted to do, but were we ever dissapointed. You would be way better off to rent bikes and have someone drive you to the top and ride down yourselves. The equipment was shoddy - the brakes were extremely squeaky on my bike and on my husband's bike the rear brake had to have a lot of pressure on it to work at all and the front brake was overly grabby to the point of being dangerous. Both bikes had issues with headset bearings that support the fork - they were loose and wobbly. The seats were torn and uncomfortable - just overall junk bikes. Twice we stopped at the bottom of a hill for no apparent reason and asked to walk up the next hill. There was hardly any explaination of points of interest along the way, or if they mentioned something (at the bottom of the hill) they didn't stop along the route to show you what they were talking about. The guide told everyone to stay in a single file and not to do anything unsafe, but the guides swerved all over the road, rode side saddle and no handed and pretty much show-boated the whole way. It seemed the theme of the day was to get it done as fast as possible - like when we stopped for lunch (a market that had a few sandwiches in a fridge) and were told to take our time but hurry up. Wow, what a waste of $250 and then they want you to give them a 20% tip. The only guy that should get a tip is the driver that picks you up at the hotel - he was friendly and courteous - the rest although friendly didn't go out of their way to make it a very enjoyable experience. As I said - rent bikes (not from this company) and have someone take you to the top and do it yourself, it's not that steep and you will have more fun, plus you can go from the top, not from 6700 ft. where they start. This activity started at 2:45am and you wait for a good hour at the top for the sun to rise (it was fogged in so we didn't see anything). Then they drive you back down to 6700ft. to start your ride. We were done and back at the hotel by noon. We were not allowed to carry a camera with us and were told the van behind us would stop and allow us to take pictures along the way but that never happened.

5  Thank MadforMaui
See more reviews
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I have read through the reviews on this complany and can see where they are mostly all accurate. So I will start off with the pros and cons. Pros-Pops was our guide and while I was at the back and couldn't hear him he had personality to boot! Great assett to the company. We were lucky enough to see the sunrise whcih was surreal. The van got us there ahead of many other companies so we had choice spots. We also had a longer tour than most other companies and it was well executed. It was one of those 'once in a lifetime kinda things' and it was very memorable. The gear was adequate as were the bikes.
Cons- It is REALLY early (while this is not the companies fault you really should know this before booking the trip) It is really cold. (I brougth my winter jacket and was comfy-others were not prepared and didn't enjoy themsleves as much) It is fun NOT exciting...if you are looking for excitement skip this. You coast 38 miles it was pretty, fun and a great way to experince part of Maui...exciting...nope! Unusual and unique absolutley. The stop at the little food store was cute but would have been great if the company provided a little coffee/snack or something instead of stopping at a palce where you could buy a snack.

2  Thank ducklakedaniel