“Hard to find decent parking”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Restaurant Matsu

Restaurant Matsu
Ranked #32 of 149 Restaurants in Kahului
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
“Hard to find decent parking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

They never seem to be open when I want to eat here and the parking lot is tight. I hate the fact that there is a smokeshop next door. I thought this was a family establishment! the indoors needs revamping. You gotta serve yourself. I loved the shrimp tempura. PERFECTLY battered! nice workers. Just wish the schedule was more convenient!

• Visited January 2013

San Jose, California
“1 Star deducted for messing up my takeaway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

On the way out of Maui, still craving for Japanese food - found this Japanese restaurant that is opened on Sunday! Yay!

The tempura udon was pretty good - udon was nicely made and fresh, and the tempura batter was fresh and crisp. I would have given this 4 stars.

I ordered a takeaway fried oyster, for my dinner on the plane and having carefully carried it through check in, security, agriculture inspection, only to discover she had given me a vegetarian fried soba, that was quite disappointing to say the least. Minus 1 star!

All in all, not bad food, but location is sketchy, and the restaurant could be named, appropriately "must do" - actually "must not do" - no sitting on the counter, no standing on chairs, no outside food....and even in the car park, no parking except for customers - ironical if one takes a look around - kind of middle of an industrial zone with no traffic....

Interesting restaurant, but hey, they are opened on Sunday for lunch!

• Visited February 2012
Santa Monica, California
“Matsu lost out on us”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

this place must have closed up or gone on vacation. Drove to it twice in one week (1/1/12 so may have been closed for Sunday or New Year's day and on 1/5/12- closed on a Thursday?).

Visited January 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A DIVE, but GOOD FOOD”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

Ok, we just happened to "drive-by this place" and my family was craving Japanese. It looks like a DIVE from the outside. It is a dive. The bathrooms inside were a dive, but the FOOD WAS GOOD AND DECENT.
We had sushi (decent), udon ramen noodles (good!), chicken yakitori (tasted a lot like Filipino Chicken Adobo) and not the Japanese yakitori I have had in Japan, Beef Teriyaka (tough beef strips), Shrimp tempura (good), miso soup, good. Service at the counter was good. They were friendly. It is clear that this is where the LOCALS go. can't judge a book by it's cover.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Feismum
Honolulu, Hawaii
“I agree, this is primarily a locals only type of place...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

I agree, this is primarily a locals only type of place. Unless you know where you're going, it's not THAT easy to find (not to mention, it looks like a cabin or ski chalet from the outside, too). And it's ambiance would probably put off some people. But... those in the know, KNOW that the food is 'ono and this is THE place to go for plate lunches and catered platters for parties. I have not had one bad meal here, ever. And I've been eating Matsu's since I was a kid and they were still at their old location at Maui Mall. I remember, while away at college, how I craved their yummy fried chicken, tempura, and local style California rolls! They've got extended hours and are open for dinner now, so you can enjoy Matsu's for more than just lunch. I hear they've opened a nicer sister location in Kihei, which would be a good alternative to take friends to if you think they might not like the ambiance of this location or find getting here to be difficult. Either way, give Restaurant Matsu a try and see for yourself!

• Visited November 2011