“Huge portions!”

Ranked #2 of 151 Restaurants in Kahului
Cuisines: Asian, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: What do you get when you combine raw creativity with authentic Hawaiian cuisine? The answer to this question will become clear as soon as you order a meal at Da Kitchen. From the Chicken Katsu Plate to the Hawaiian Plate, our local ethnic cuisine is truly a mix of many cultures. When you’re here, you’ll be able to try innovative dishes containing all the classic Maui flavors. We even incorporate local fresh fish and veggies. You’ll also be treated to fast service and huge portions, two things we take a lot of pride in. Our restaurant is its own ohana, and we welcome foodies and families into our modern, warm atmosphere. So, the next time you’re craving a mouth-watering plate lunch in Kahului, Da Kitchen is ready to serve you something you won’t forget.
Reviewed March 21, 2014

When I met someone who had lived on Maui for many years and asked where she would eat if visiting, she immediately recommended Da Kitchen. We had a great lunch there, but realized pretty quickly that we should have split a dish. The portions were huge. The Loco Moco was the best we have had, and the Katsu Chicken was good, though we didn't really know what it would be like when we ordered it. The prices were fair, the menu was full of many choices, and the service was good. The atmosphere of closely spaced tables and being in a strip mall in the city were the only real negatives.

1  Thank lb783
Write a ReviewReviews (1,467)

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We ate here because of TA reviews and convenience to the airport. It was a great choice! The amount of items on the menu was amazing and food tremendous. They seemed to have a lot of farm to table options. There were mostly locals there which is always a good sign. Service was great and there is nothing negative about the place except the portions sizes might be too big!

1  Thank dil345
Reviewed March 17, 2014

It was our last day in Maui and we were leaving on an evening flight. This restaurant was the last on our list to try because it was a block away from the airport and we knew the options at the airport were limited. Though we arrived at 4:15 pm, the place was half full with tourists and locals alike. Almost immediately, a server arrived and kindly explained how the system works. They take your orders with iPods, and different/all servers will bring your food, drinks, water, bill, etc. Overall, the restaurant seemed efficient. My husband and I ordered Bento specials and these were served within 10 minutes. My meal compromised of teriyaki beef, teriyaki chicken and tempura mahimahi on a bed of rice and a small side of cabbage slaw. It was a pretty big serving and I couldn't finish it.
I also had the homemade lemonade which was absolutely perfect with the fish. Our total with a 20% gratuity was 30 dollar and change.

I couldn't answer the question whether this is one of the best meals I've had in a restaurant. After spending the week dining in high end Wailea establishments, this cafe was a different and surprising pleasant. The food was very good, reasonably priced and the service was better than what I had experienced at Spago. For those expecting the traditional service with close attention to detail, you'll be disappointed. Da Kitchen is an eclectic fun place for a quick meal.

1  Thank Pauline C
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This place is a Maui classic, where the locals eat, local food and mixed plates, casual fare and casual dining. What blew me away was when we checked in for a short wait, they took our names on an ipad, took our phone number, and used our cellphones as the restaurant pagers, brilliant! You could click a link anytime to see where you were on the waiting list, and when the waitress took our order, she did it on a souped-up iphone. Another great thing about the service was that you don't really seem to have a dedicated waitperson. Someone seats you, someone else takes your order, someone else delivers it, someone sees your credit card out and runs your tab. It runs so efficiently. Bravo! The menu has something for everyone. Honestly, if you can't find something here, you need to crawl under a rock. Everything looked well prepared and tasty. Some of our food was awesome (shredded pork for example), some was good but not great (roasted pork moco). They have a large menu and an equally large list of daily specials. But overall between the variety of food, the great service and the overall experience, it was worth the visit and highly recommended.

1  Thank SDSteve
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This place has great Loco Moco. We stopped here for lunch right after landing in Maui. My wife had the fried spam musubi, spring rolls and fried rice. I had the Notorious B.I.G Moco! Spam, Portuguese sausage, hamburger, chili, fried rice, onions and mushrooms. I could only eat half. The food tasted great. We stopped here again when leaving Maui