“Broadly Superior”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Soups
Maui
“Broadly Superior”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Most of the better noodle shops we've found in Hawaii are on Oahu. This happy exception is located a stone's throw from the cruise ship dock in Kahului Maui. First, let's talk about the stock. Two are offered. Our favorite is the Tam Tam which is a pork broth created by simmering meat and bones for long hours and near total skimming off of fat. Combined with a splash of chili oil for spice and you've got great flavor in a bowl. The other is Shoyu where housemade chicken broth is flavored with soy sauce to create a rich dashe. Add an ample serving of fresh ramen noodles, your choice of meat and vegetables and you're off to the races. We particularly like the Japanese style char sui and tonkatsu along with their take on seafood ramen. Plate versions are also offered along with ala carte servings of the star attractions for really hungry diners.

KulaBob

Hawai'i
“Getting better with time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

1.20.13
The place is finally open! Taking the place of the former Maui Mixed Plate (which I'll miss for their chicken katsu, kalbi ribs, BBQ chicken and mac salad,) they're the same owners/family. We got greeted and seated within 5 minutes at 12 noon on a Sunday, which surprised me.

Atmosphere:
Contemporary Asian decor. Table seating and hopefully in the near future, counter seating. Menus are homemade, printed on the home desktop and bound with Office Max plastic covers & binder spine sliders. There's an odd gadget on each table which holds the soup spoons (unprotected from the elements,) chopsticks and dipping bowls.

Food:
Char siu shoyu ramen - Broth was dark and truly shoyu-based (unlike Ramen Ya's lighter miso-colored shoyu) and a tad too salty but definitely not inedible. If you're not into salt, DON'T get the shoyu ramens. Topped with fresh spinach and 3 chunky slices of succulent char siu. Noodles were cooked perfectly and there was A LOT of them. I was super full! Definitely would get this dish again.

Service:
They've been open for only 5 days as of this review, so naturally they're working out the kinks. We were checked on twice throughout our meal. Our waters weren't replenished. But they are obviously not coordinated as the wait staff, owner/cashier and trainer are all bussing, delivering food, playing host and cashier. There needs to be assignments done and stuck to, then things would flow smoother. There was also an issue with their computer/printer so only cash was accepted as payment (for now?) When it came time to pay the bill is what took the longest of our experience. The guy who cashed me out wasn't even our server but was so gracious and apologetic for the wait and confusion. I told him "No worries!!" I know how it is to open up a place, so please people, give them some time!

Overall:
I'm glad Maui has another option for the ramen fan. I'd definitely go back again and try the odd-colored tan tan ramen, which is my fave at Goma Tei in Honolulu.

************************************************************************************************************************
Update 5.11.133.5 stars.
I normally wouldn't update a review so soon but I felt that this place deserves it with the amount of negative reviews. This is only my second visit here and definitely won't be my last. This was my other half's first try and it was very positive!

Arrived at 8:15pm on a Thursday night and was seated immediately. They were pretty slow. Ordered within 5 minutes and both ramen dishes were on our table in another 5 minutes, piping hot.

Food:
Char siu tan tan ramen - Despite not being traditional in color and taste, I liked it. Noodles were cooked perfect. The broth is similar in color to Campbell's chicken noodle soup, and the flavor is a medium-salty broth. It isn't rich so it doesn't fill you up like many tan tan broths do. Dish is topped with 3 huge pieces of char siu and fresh spinach. The portion is very generous.

Gyoza - 6 pieces pan-grilled. Not oily and good flavor. The gyoza sauce they use for dipping is too vinegary, but I just used the shoyu in place of it.

Service:
Way better than last time. We were checked on twice and waters refilled.

Overall:
Nice alternative to Ramen Ya, especially with the different styles of ramen available which Ramen Ya doesn't offer. We were able to pay with a credit card this time as the computer kinks were worked out.

Wishlist:
More veggie toppings would be awesome, like bean sprouts!

Canada
“Hidden little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Hmm guess it is different strokes for different folks. On our last day we wandered around the Maui Mall. First we went into a sushi place that had a conveyor belt. After observing the revolving sushi, we said our goodbyes as it did not look fresh to us. Next door was this little ramen restaurant. We saw there were a lot of people in there so thought we would check it out. My only experience of ramen was thru the packaged ichiban noodles and watching Britainy Murphy in Ramen Girl.
It was full of local people, which I took to be a good sign. We ordered the shoyu and tan tan dish after the waitress explained what this meant. My husband enjoys spicy, so he had shoyu. These great big huge bowls came to the table loaded with flavour. We left full and satisfied, and found the owner and staff to be very friendly and instructive.
I will bow to the wisdom of the "experts" as to how well this little place compares to others in the ramen universe. We, however, enjoyed our quick meal very much.

Grants Pass
“Food wad awfull”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Seriously eat at mcdonalds over this place. Wow bad. Ate the vege ramen and friend had the pork. We used the whole botte of shoyu and a lot of cgili paste and there still wasnt much taste. What the heck how do you ruin ramen?

2 Thank meownit
Dallas, Texas
“Worst experience of the trip!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here this evening and it was absolutely horrible. Food wasn't edible. And the service was even worse. We waited to have our order taken, waited for our food. Two people on our party didn't even get their food. The waitstaff was unattentive and rude. Avoid this place!!

2 Thank Weathercon