“Better than Road to Hana”

West Maui Circle Drive
Book In Advance
More Info
$138.54*
and up
East Maui Waterfalls and Rainforest Hike
Ranked #12 of 44 things to do in Kahului
Reviewed December 26, 2013

On this trip to Maui, we decided to drive completely around the island and this included the West Maui Circle Drive. This is certainly not for the faint of heart. The road is narrow with cliffs on one side and no guard rails on the other. Most sections are one lane with blind curves and steep slopes. While the road is paved, it is quite rough. Plan on an averages speed of well less than 10 mph.
However, the views were fantastic. Much like the Road to Hana, the scenery is magnificent but just a bit different. We stopped at an old bus for lunch and had hot dogs, fries and smoothies. This was definitely a WOW trip.

4  Thank RandyRoss
"narrow section"
"road conditions"
"cautious driver"

Reviewed December 5, 2013

If you are into attitude and action then Maui is your destination. Separated by steep cliffs from the remainder of the island,this was once the haunt of kings and queens of hawaii,as well as,missionaries and whalers. West maui is a charmless and tacky town and maybe should be redeemed. a few kms from the drive,is Maui's original resort and golf course which leads to the expensive kapalua resorts-ville. We didn't stay around and kept driving on.

2  Thank Eli B
Reviewed August 24, 2013

On 8/11 I finaly had the guts to circle the whole neck of Maui, and I don't regret it. Two years ago I was a little afraid to do it because it's not recommended to do the trip and I hardly saw a thing because it was just about the beginning of it. Last year I was more brave and reached the area where a school bus is a mini restaurant and went back. This year my intention was to reach the same stop and return, but I told my mom, let's go down and see the chuch down there, after we did and got back in the car I said we're are going to do it, we're going to do the full circle. It was well worth it because we saw out of this world (ONLY IN MAUI) views. The views are just as beatiful as the ones to The Road To Hana, yet a little different since they are located in different locations of the island.

2  Thank Mauithegreat
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We only had a few short days in Maui but crammed a lot in (Haleakala sunrise, road to Hana, Waimoku Falls hike, Waihee Ridge hike, etc.). This drive was by far the highlight of the trip.

The road is very narrow with no guard rails in many places and lots of blind turns where you don't know if there is a car coming your way. At one point we had to back out 1/4 mile to get back to a point where we could let other cars pass. Speed averaged <10 mph. Factor in some extra time over what the gps tells you (both for slower speed and many stops at view points).

The terrain and views on the drive are nothing short of spectacular. If you are going to do the drive to Hana I suggest doing it before this drive because we were underwhelmed by the Hana drive after doing the NW circle.

2  Thank Mike P