“Wonderful!”

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter Tours - Maui
Ranked #3 of 31 Tours in Kahului
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Hawaiian Helicopters is the premier helicopter company in Hawaii utilizing the latest technology helicopters and safety systems.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed November 20, 2009

we had a great helicopter tour with Blue Hawaiian! customer service was great and the trip was very smooth. i was speachless, i didnt want to look away! saw so many beautiful sights! highly recommended

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“One of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Sure we were unlucky to some extent. Two trips to BH, no rides, 8 hours wasted driving, sitting, waiting and then being canceled. And then waiting again. But this was much more than bad luck, this was incredibly bad service:
. The first cancellation was due to bad weather. It happens. But their response to the only 15-20 of us impacted was to encourage a mad scramble to the desk. No attempt with this small group to find out if there was a way they could accommodate all of us, or - perish the thought - to give priority to those of us who had actually booked 4 months earlier. Whoever was closest to the desk wins. Two of our group of 6 had to drop out.
. The second day started with a request. Could we position the photographers by the windows. "Absolutely not- the computer picks the positioning for weight balance". Huh? Is this a pleasure trip or a lunar landing? I have been on several helicopter trips before, and this is a new one. Sure we need a reasonable weight balance, but come on...

. The second cancellation the next day was poor management. We were supposed to leave mid afternoon but due to weather issues, the helicopters were up longer than expected. We waited an hour and a half. Two landed- a smaller helicopter- that could only take 4 (and we had been packaged with someone else) and a larger one. They gave the larger one to the other group despite us being canceled the day before. By the time the third had landed, the pilot had been in the air too long and they had to cancel us again.
. The story we got was:
. the second helicopter couldn't take our weight balance. Huh? Its the same helicpter with a slightly different seat configuration. Where were we going? Mars?
. the pilot was up for an extra half hour so was capped out based on FAA limits. Hmm, they know what the limits are, but they allow no buffer for mildly windy weather?
. to top it off they made us stand and wait for 10 minutes for our cash refund while they served other passengers, that is until I blew a gasket.

If you must ride with these guys, I strongly suggest:
. you book in the morning to avoid their mismanagement of pilots
. you allow for a high likelihood of cancellation
. you stay close to the desk till you are sure you are going to depart.

Better still, find another provider.

14 Thank grjas
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“You'll see so much untouched beauty”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Highly recommend this trip. We booked the 90 minute Maui Spectacular, which was to cover the circle of Maui including the Haleakala crater. The weather was too overcast and cloudy on the day of our flight, so the flight path was changed to take us to West Maui and Molokai instead, which was breathtaking. So much of what you see is untouched by humans, no hiking, no roads, and is only accessible via air. The trip includes a landing stop in a Cattle Ranch, for some Pineapple Champagne :). Excellent memories.

1 Thank GourmetTraveller92
Canton, MI
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Phenomenal experience!”
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We scheduled a trip before leaving for our honeymoon (saved some cash) and loved it so much was booked another tour for a few days later. Learned a ton about Hawaii, able to speak to the pilot, good DVD to buy after the flight, very safe and professional. Never been on a helicopter before and it was a breeze!!

Columbus, Ohio
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Awesome helicopter tour!”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

This was my husband and I's first time to Maui and I wanted to make sure we did memorable activities. Our Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour is definitely something we'll always remember- it was AWESOME!

My husband and I both conquered our fears- we'd never been in a helicopter, plus I'm a fearful (airplane) flyer (I hate hate hate turbulence) and my husband is afraid of heights. We went through with the helicopter tour anyway and it was fantastic.

At check-in, they weigh you again just to make sure you didn't lie when making your initial reservations. They are discreet about it though and don't say your weight to anyone. So be truthful about your weight!

Our pilot was Glenda and we did the Complete Island tour of Maui. We chose the A-Star helicopter, which is the standard helicopter. The 'better' helicopter is the Eco-Star and is about 20% more $$$ than tours on the A-Stars. Since we'd never been on a helicopter, we figured we'd be just as impressed with the standard one.

Once I got over the initial feeling of being in a helicopter, I really started to enjoy the tour. We hit really bad turbulence (we were like a feather in a wind storm), but Glenda flew higher to get out of the winds. After that, it was a very smooth flight.

It was so amazing to see the sights from a different angle. Also, there are some places on Maui you can't get to by car or by foot (like some of the big waterfalls in the dense rainforest areas) and it was really beautiful to see how lush and green some parts of the island can be (the parts that get rain).

I'd read a Trip Advisor review on Maui helicopters tours and agree with what that author had said- go on a helicopter tour earlier in your trip so you can visually get an idea of the layout of the island. It helped me tie the two views together- the view from the helicopter and then the ground-view level.

I'd also read other reviews about how Blue Hawaiian is more expensive. I reserved our tour online and both of our 65-minute tours were $509. Yes, expensive but seriously- completely worth it. A definite MUST for a first-time Maui visitor. I don't think we'd do another Maui helicopter tour if we get back to Maui, but if we visit any of the other islands, a helicopter tour is definitely in our plans.

As far as the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter company, they are very professional and I felt completely safe. They are one of the two helicopter companies that offer two-way radios so you can talk to the pilot and also to other people in your helicopter (I read this fact in the "Maui Revealed" tour book).

They have a sign-in book and and area with little envelopes for you to leave a tip for your pilot. They weren't pushy about it and we didn't feel any pressure to leave a tip. Granted, we loved our pilot Glenda, but felt our $509 was more than fair for our trip.

We initially were going into our ride with plans on getting the $25 DVD of our trip, but after watching a little bit of our trip, the quality wasn't that great and we passed on it.

I was worried about the quality of pictures I'd be able to get from the helicopter, but was able to get some really good shots. You have to turn the flash off obviously. Something else I wasn't expecting was they would only let you take a camera and sunglasses on the helicopter. All purses, backpacks, camera bags and hats had to either stay in your car, or you could leave them in wire baskets out in the open in their lobby. Plus, the parking lot has the "lock your car, not responsible for theft, etc" signs posted.

The only two things that disappointed me about my Blue Hawaiian Helicopter experience: 1) they charge for parking at the Heliport. Seriously? We're there an hour and a half and had to pay $2. Then the parking attendant was irritated we only had a $20. There's plenty of parking, so I'm not sure why they need to charge. $2 is nothing compared to the $509 we just dropped on the tours, but it's the principle of it I guess (for me anyway). 2) Patti (I think that was her name) was working the check-in counter and wasn't friendly (we went on 9.19.09). We felt like just another customer to her and could tell she didn't find anything special about her job. No personality. No "How are you doing today?" No "Any first-time flyers?". Just robotic and lifeless. I think they need someone with more of an outgoing personality.

Overall, we LOVED our helicopter tour from Blue Hawaiian and would enthusiastically recommend it!