“Perfect if it's what you are looking for”
Review of Maui Seaside Hotel

Maui Seaside Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kahului
Saskatoon, Canada
“Perfect if it's what you are looking for”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

January 1, 2014
What a wonderful way to bring in the New Year. Watching fireworks over the harbor in Kahului! They went on and on and on. We watched for a half an hour from the Maui Seaside Hotel until 12:15am. Given it was around 4am from where we’re from I didn’t feel too bad about going to bed even though the fireworks seemed to continue for another half hour.

The Maui Seaside Hotel is wonderful. Retro is the word that comes to mind. The beds are small but firm, everything is older style but works and is clean. Both my wife and I thought as we checked in last night, “This feels like we are checking into Dexter’s house.” Neither said it aloud until the next morning. The other memory is the guy who steals the money from a drug cartel and is hiding out in a motel. It ends badly for him.

Maui Seaside bills itself as a hotel run by Hawaiians for the last 50 years - authentic for sure. The pool is small, but clean and cool. The grass is immaculate and the sound of the ocean waves is memorizing. There is a small fridge and coffee maker with actually decent coffee. Nice little sitting area outside your room, an adult quiet area closer to the beach and away from the pools. The breakfast is exactly what you’d expect. We chose the bacon and eggs and toast and one with the Portuguese sausage instead of bacon. Delicious! Time to switch to the healthy options from now on, though.

Six minutes from the airport and when you wake up you are “in” Maui. The hotels nearer the airport could be in any city in Canada or the US.

The people are so friendly but unobtrusive. I’d want to work here. All-in-all highly recommended if you are clear about what you are looking for. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigTalk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked a standard king bed room on Expedia and what we got for our first night was two twin beds. I asked to change and they told me that the requirement I made on Expedia was just "request", not guaranteed. I was not really happy about what they said so i came to the counter on the next day and one of their staffs helped us to change to the room we wanted and room was nice and clean.

In general, good location, easy to drive to any sites from this hotel in Maui island, close to airport. Many eating places you can go for dinning and Wholefoods is an excellent place to stop by for snacks and necessities.

Overall, our experience was ok, I may stay in the hotel for our next trip.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We chose to stay here so we could check out this part of the island at the end of our visit to Maui. There is a decent beach right out the door and a reasonable on-site restaurant. It was a short drive to places we wanted to visit and then a easy trip to the airport at the end of our stay. The hotel is older, but in reasonable condition - we were comfortable and the staff were nice. We have no complaints and would return.

1 Thank imtrippedup2
Helsinki
Reviewed December 24, 2013

As many others in this forum we chose this hotel for a one night stay because we flew in late afternoon and were heading elsewhere in Maui the next morning. It is convenient to the airport, and right on the ocean. It is more of an older motel, but I have no complaints. The pool was ok, and the breakfast cool. We might come back for 1 night if back in transit in Kahului.

Kenyon, Minnesota
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We chose this hotel for a one night stay because we flew in late afternoon and were heading to Hana the next morning. It is convenient to the airport, groceries and right on the ocean. It is an older hotel but is well maintained and clean. As stated by others I would say it is comparable to a motel 6. I have no complaints other than there was a strange smell in our room - musty maybe? We stayed in a deluxe room - not sure what made it deluxe other than we had a partial view of the ocean. The complimentary breakfast was good - the pancake breakfast was big enough to share with my daughter.

I might stay here again but never for more than 1 night.

1 Thank HCP237
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed for the first time with my elderly mother and young son. I chose this hotel because we needed somewhere to stay for one night prior to getting in our condo. At the same time I was not too excited. I expected a dive. It was a LOT better than I expected. I booked the least expensive room, and it faced the pool and there were two chairs outside the room you could sit in to relax. There is also a beautiful view. The hotel room was clean. The bathroom looked very up dated and large, and the people were friendly. We had a coffee maker and mini fridge in the room. The lawn is beautiful and everything is well manicured. Also, our price included "free" breakfast for the adults. It is a slight savings, but their breakfasts are pretty inexpensive anyway, so I am not sure it is a great deal if you want options. There are three options for breakfast. The first one is "healthy" and includes oatmeal. I can't remember #2, but we had a piece of toast, two eggs, home fries, bacon/ham, and coffee. I believe it was $7.95 on the menu, and actually our room was $15 more for the breakfast included option, so that is why I say if you want variety, don't book with the breakfast option. My four year old did get the french toast option. I think it was about $8, but he LOVED it.

I would definitely not hesitate to stay here again, and I wouldn't worry about it next time. It isn't the Marriot, but I can find nothing wrong with the property, and everyone staying there was very friendly.. It was great.

3 Thank CoastalJen
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I reviewed this hotel in April 2013 and we are back again in Dec 2013. I stand by my review in April -- which I copy and pasted at the end this update.

This time we went for a Deluxe Room. Last time we had a Superior Room. The Deluxe Room is bigger than the Superior. Also it has a view of the ocean and the park the east side of the hotel. The room is very nice. It is clean and has a nice lounge chair near the window. Just like the Superior Room, I really like the bed. I slept very well on it. The A/C also has numbers on the thermostat to choose your temperature. If memory serves me well, I do not think the Superior Room had this feature.

The complimentary breakfast (as part of the package I booked) at Tante's Restaurant (where the free breakfast is) is still good, however, you are limited to 3 options on the free breakfast. But each of the 3 options has enough food and it is tasty.

Here is my original review from April:

"This is not a 4 or 5 star hotel, so if that is your standard, stop reading. This is a good hotel that looks like something between a Motel 6 and a Hampton Inn. It is an old hotel and a lot of the components (especially the corridors and stairs) are well worn. But the rooms are bright and very clean. The hotel is centrally located so if your plans include the great beaches of the NW part of the island or Lahaina, or Haleakala volcano, or a day trip to Hana, you will be greatly positioned.
In a lot of instances if you book online, you will have an option to get "complimentary" breakfast as part of your room rate at the on premise restaurant -- Tante's Island Cuisine.
The bed and pillows were great -- in fact better than the bed at the Fairfield Inn or Hampton Inn we stayed at in NYC or even the Embassy Suites in Honolulu.
This is the hotel where ordinary Hawaiians stay. It is a great value and I would return."

AND WE DID!

4 Thank adongeorge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kahului
Maui Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Ocean Inn
Kaanapali Ocean Inn
#30 of 32 in Lahaina
Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger

Been to Maui Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!